"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (5 Viewers)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today dawned with a lovely sunrise, but it soon clouded over. The wind had dropped though. Martin and I were going to ride together, but when Kay was joining us, Martin decided to have today off in preference to ride on a warmer day tomorrow. He was happy I'd have support just in case my wheel threw a wobbly.

So Kay and I joined a dog search group. A white Chihuahua, trailing a black lead, went missing a day or so ago from Camposol. We rode from here to Camposol, through the area it had last been spotted. Needless to say we didn't see it, and neither have any of the other searchers. Such a tiny dog is never going to be easy to spot.

I'm now beginning to plan our summer trip. We have the "Pirinexus by bike" multi day route in mind for, maybe the end of June, after a few weeks in Cataluña, maybe near our old haunts of Prades. I've now got to find a suitable place to leave the van for 7 days, and maybe I've found somewhere at Olot. Recommendations gratefully received.

This thread should have finished before our summer trip, but I'll keep it going if it's of any interest. A Year and a bit in Spain, maybe 🙂

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Excuse my English, does this mean you were based around here in the past? (Prades is very close to our base).

No, we weren't based there but we used to visit regularly to go rock climbing at Prades, Siurana, etc. Lovely places that we need to revisit, even though we don't climb now, except for via ferratas, there's still lots to see and rides to do.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Excuse my English, does this mean you were based around here in the past? (Prades is very close to our base).
Your are excused...your English is excellent...it's a great area where you are based...🇪🇦👍
Is your home language Catalan?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Definitely keep it going please.

Apologies for the gap and then sudden onset of 'likes' but it's Northern raider's fault, he's put his old trips in his signature and I fell down that rabbit hole!
And I can't believe I missed Teagate!

We have an emergency stash in our gas cupboard, there are stern looks if it ever needs to be used!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As many here, I belong to the 'bilingual' kind of person, so it's mixed up!
With some friends and at work I use Catalan, with family Spanish, and with wife both:LOL:
Similar here.

At home...Broken English.

Official buildings..Town hall etc.Broken Murciano. (Spanish dialect)

Solicitor..Broken Murciano/English...he is a friend and Spanish, speaks with an American accent. But I have an Australian accent...having spent 5 months there in 2002

Physio many different ones.. Swedish, English or Spanish...I can get by with a grunt and a gasp in 11 different languages...I once did in a Sydney shopping centre when I gave myself up for a Chinese Head massage..I left in more pain than I started with..

Of course there is the much acclaimed shout louder type language...if they don't understand in a normal tone...increase volume until a nod or shake gets a response...🤔👍🥳🥳🥳🥳🇪🇦👍

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Similar here.

At home...Broken English.

Official buildings..Town hall etc.Broken Murciano. (Spanish dialect)

Solicitor..Broken Murciano/English...he is a friend and Spanish, speaks with an American accent. But I have an Australian accent...having spent 5 months there in 2002

Physio many different ones.. Swedish, English or Spanish...I can get by with a grunt and a gasp in 11 different languages...I once did in a Sydney shopping centre when I gave myself up for a Chinese Head massage..I left in more pain than I started with..

Of course there is the much acclaimed shout louder type language...if they don't understand in a normal tone...increase volume until a nod or shake gets a response...🤔👍🥳🥳🥳🥳🇪🇦👍
Isn't that great? You just can't get bored with all that knowledge and hability.
👏🙂

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today, was "knee trial". We have some Dutch renting next door. They want some easy, road(ish) riding, so Martin had planned a route on Komoot. Sooo, this morning we went to trial it. It was very nice for anyone not seeing some of the scenery in the second part, but I felt the first bit was too much on busy roads. It's back to the drawing board now for that part.

On the way back I had a message that my Galaxy tab screen replacement has arrived, so it's going into hospital tomorrow. Martin's kindly offered to take it, to let me ride down to the coast, where he'll meet me with the car.

I'm now quickly hunting out a route that's not too technical. Some of the tracks I used to ride solo are definitely out of bounds now.

I know my limitations 😂 (at last).

DSCN7819~2.JPG
DSCN7820~2.JPG
DSCN7821~2.JPG

Looking to the archaeological area above the Embalse de Algeciras (or Blue Lagoon to visitors). It appears more work has been carried out. I'm itching to go to look, but all access points are still well and truly locked.

DSCN7823~2.JPG
DSCN7824~2.JPG

DSCN7825~2.JPG

The water is lower than ever!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I rode down to Bolnuevo on a very easy route. I, sadly, didn't see the lost chihuahua. I stopped to listen for little doggy yelping, but nothing. The worry is that it's lead will become entangled in the undergrowth and the little scrap of a dog will starve 😥.

I rode on the via Verde from El Saladillo, behind (soon passing) a guy with a dog in a trailer. He didn't hang about, I could see him behind me for a long way. The poor dog is either conditioned or it's owner will have a trailer to clean.

I think I've now found the way to an archaeological site near Bolnuevo. It's now higher in my list of places to visit.

Tomorrow we're both going riding.

Looking for a white chihuahua in here!!!
DSCN7842~2.JPG

More almonds ... sorry, but they're sooo nice.
DSCN7832~2.JPG
DSCN7833~2.JPG
DSCN7835~2.JPG

The German owned camperstop. Not over full. But it does have some very mixed reviews!
DSCN7839~2.JPG

And a "stealth van"! One of four parked near Camposol.
Screenshot_2024-02-13-15-50-00-890_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Spot the wild camping mistakes 😂

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
When we left Spain in late February 2012 the drive from Los Alcazares up to Irun was through some beautiful views of field after field of blossom. It was as far as the eye could see and so beautiful. We have never seen it quite like that since, because we haven’t been there at the right time, but I can visualise it vividly 😊 So pleased I’ve seen it in such mass once, never to be forgotten

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we set off on another Komoot planned route. We started off well, ignoring the route in favour of local knowledge 😄.

We bypassed Angéla's house and paused at the Ermita de la Candelaria, before the first of our climbs. We rode past the hand glider jump spot and down through the forest where we've spent many hours running, planning courses and helping in the organisation of orienteering events, from international competitions down to local school training.

We then began a road ride, up and over to Casa Leiva (a renovated forest house) past the old, not renovated (yet) Tuberculosis Hospital, before passing La Perdiz (bar/restaurant), stopping to chat with some mountain bikers from El Berro campsite, then passing the bar/restaurant Fuente del Hilo that has been renovated and is totally unrecognisable to the old place that we used to visit regularly and where the wild boar came to find food, before they had to be culled ☹️.

I'm still working on a phone (not easy for me) but my tablet is ready for collection tomorrow 👏. I've also managed to get a hair appointment, sooo after the AGM on Friday we're free to travel 🎉🎉🎉.

Ermita
DSCN7845~2.JPG

Martin is in there
DSCN7847~2.JPG

Looking down to the castle at Alhama de Murcia
DSCN7848~2.JPG
DSCN7851~2.JPG

The tuberculosis hospital
DSCN7854~2.JPG

Fuente del Hilo!
DSCN7858~2.JPG

Statue 🙄
DSCN7855.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We went shopping, me for food and Martin to pick up an Amazon delivery, we then went to get my tablet back and then I went to the hair shearers. I hate going to the hairdresser and so I opt for a dry cut. Cut done, and when asked if I wanted to leave with sprayed wet hair or be "blow dried" I thought I'd go for the latter. €7 for a load of hot air 😡😡😡. Not be falling for that again (the owners of said establishment aren't Spanish btw).

Anyway, I'm happy with how my hair looks. My tablet is working (the guy from the shop overcharged me by €10 and has just owned up, so I've asked him to give it to a charity). Funny how I'm not so miffed about that 🤣. Peavy "miffed" means annoyed 👍

I have a new (cheap) camera. The Amazon delivery was a card reader. I now have to get brain into gear to get all things talking.

I'm going walking tomorrow, so I'm hoping to see whether the cheapo camera is worth keeping.

Watch this space ................

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm getting well into planning our summer trip. So far our thoughts are leaving here in June, doing a few weeks in Cataluña, then leaving the van, somewhere still to be agreed, near Girona, and setting off on a 6 day bike ride. This is going to hit our bank balances big time, but life is for living and, occasionally, we're happy to pay for food and accommodation. I'm already looking forward to the route, even though it takes us into France 🤔😂 as well as depleting our reserves !

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I'm getting well into planning our summer trip. So far our thoughts are leaving here in June, doing a few weeks in Cataluña, then leaving the van, somewhere still to be agreed, near Girona, and setting off on a 6 day bike ride. This is going to hit our bank balances big time, but life is for living and, occasionally, we're happy to pay for food and accommodation. I'm already looking forward to the route, even though it takes us into France 🤔😂 as well as depleting our reserves !
What is the 6 day route?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My walk yesterday was lovely, but the wind began part way through. I tried my "el cheapo" camera. I'm thinking that using my phone might be just as good. I'll give it a better go on our next trip ( starting tomorrow) and then decide whether to return it or not.

The van got a knock back from the body shop place. They can't take vehicles of motorhome size. We'll ask our good friend Salva next weekend for any recommendations.

The AGM last night was ......... interesting. We'll not know the outcome of the votes until after Sunday night. We have 7 separate meetings for our complex.

Anyway, struggling to post photos on the new system. I can't see which photo is where, so can't comment on individual piccies.

In lieu of Martin Dog Whisperer, Brian stepped in! And the piccie of the bird was a mural on a wall in the small village of La Murta.

DSCF0004~2.JPG
DSCF0018~2.JPG
DSCF0011~2.JPG
DSCF0012~2.JPG
DSCF0013~2.JPG
DSCF0014~2.JPG
DSCF0016~2.JPG
DSCF0021~2.JPG
DSCF0028~2.JPG

It's a new learning curve to post photos from this camera. I'll persevere for a few days.

We're off tomorrow. Heading to Mula motorhome parking. Just to park the van to go for a ride. We may then head up near the reservoir for a quieter night, before deciding which way to travel.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That looks like a proper adventure!😮

Hmm. We'll be staying in relarive luxury. Real beds anyway. No camping in tiny tents for us now. Been there in the past 👍

It does look a nice route though. I've been watching some YouTube videos.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back