Are the days of the motorhome numbered? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I suggest, Yes.

Why? Because the emissions regulations (among others), mean that the manufacturers are finding it increasinly difficult to build a motorhome that complies wth the regulations and is fit for the purpose that we are looking for.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Is that true? The number is certainly very low. We've been living in the centre of Birmingham for 15 years and we've only heard a gun once. Never seen one.

Stats, gun deaths per year:
1969 - 26
1994 - 66
(Dunblane)
2021/22 - 28
No idea re deaths but I don’t think there is shortage of handguns in the U.K. There are a good number of legal ones too.
Hearing one just means that the threat has been actioned.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
No idea re deaths but I don’t think there is shortage of handguns in the U.K. There are a good number of legal ones too.
Hearing one just means that the threat has been actioned.
At least a third of reported handgun offences end up being for fakes, air pistols and BB guns. And it's probably higher because they don't track them all down. It's difficult, expensive and risky for people to acquire a handgun.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
And the irony….

NG purchased a few hundred land rover defenders (sensible version) from the last batch of production, as no other vehicle satisfies a linesman’s requirements…. most are still in storage for use in years to come.
Not disagreeing. I should mention Dad was a HV SAP working on private HV networks (not connections) around UK on behalf of NG and several of the DNO's (he worked for a DNO but on their big private customers and networks). Saying much more would identify him personally as theres that few people in that field.

Dad had an EV, but there were a emergency supply of Defenders for some situations he had a call on. Black start is a terrifying term that if enacted I suspect he would still be called out for even now he's retired. No-ones saying we won't need such things, as it's reasonably obvious that NG and the DNO's will have contigency for such events.

Remember most "linesmen" are only qualified to 10 or 33kv too, and HV is 33 and up in his terms.

Interesting fact though, last 3 years of his career he was driving an EV even to grid outage events on behalf of his customers.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2015
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Pilote V630J Premier
Exp
Since 2013
..and the boss of Nissan comes out the day after, to confirm all Nissans sold from 2028 will be EV. The ban deadline is a complete hoax. EV’s will be cheaper to buy and run well before any ban comes into play.
Once everyone is buying EV’s I suspect the pressure to remove the last diesels will become less urgent. Campervans will go hybrid pretty soon and fully EV eventually I’m sure.
Not sure about all this EV stuff, I had a car that was 10 years old and did 45mpg max sold it for one of those hybrid it does 33mpg max cost £10000 more than one without a battery, bad decision ☹️not selling my diesel van for any EV or hybrid not sure thy can build one 3.5t with a good payload and mileage the figures don’t work out and I haven’t seen a charging station for motorhomes anywhere on my travels.Now diesel vehicles has been put back to 2035 don’t see the sense of changing anytime soon
No road tax on EV just so much a mile coming soon 🤫

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Not sure about all this EV stuff, I had a car that was 10 years old and did 45mpg max sold it for one of those hybrid it does 33mpg max cost £10000 more than one without a battery, bad decision ☹️not selling my diesel van for any EV or hybrid not sure thy can build one 3.5t with a good payload and mileage the figures don’t work out and I haven’t seen a charging station for motorhomes anywhere on my travels.Now diesel vehicles has been put back to 2035 don’t see the sense of changing anytime soon
No road tax on EV just so much a mile coming soon 🤫
Totally agree - the technology isn't there for 3.5 tonne RV's. But for a car that weighs almost half that, with home charging, it works just fine.

I've no problem with pay per mile - in a way, we already have pay per mile on ICE cars, given the amount of duty and tax on fuel. VED is roughly 3p per mile and tax take is 9p per mile.

Add in the maintenance and depreciation costs, which are also mileage dependent, and to all intents and purposes we have it now?

(over £10,0000 miles, 40 mpg, £1.60/lt, £300 annual VED )

Upvote 0
May 1, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I happily drove mine on HVO100 which is synthetic diesel from abattoir waste (driving on lard) but got more fed up with all the other restrictions on motorhomes so have downsized to a camper, and yes it is electric

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Vw35lt
Exp
20yrs
I suggest, Yes.

Why? Because the emissions regulations (among others), mean that the manufacturers are finding it increasinly difficult to build a motorhome that complies wth the regulations and is fit for the purpose that we are looking for.
I am of the opinion if my van passes a M.O.T having passing the exhaust gas emissions it should be fit for purpose.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
No.
I predict that in 10 to 15 years we will have electric motorhomes with a 300/400 mile range and a 15 minute charge time.
There will be no need for gas or leisure batteries as everything will be powered by the main battery.
I do suspect that motorhomes will get smaller with perhaps PVC's being the norm.
Keep dreaming my friend...

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Keep dreaming my friend...
I will thanks.
But considering electric cars are getting close to that now, I have no doubt that the battery and charging technology will improve very quickly. A Tesla supercharger can already add up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. 10 years is a long time and a lot can happen.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Re quick charge times there is the option on alot of HV vehicles to have the DC charging point this changes a charge time from around 8 hours to 30 mins.but not every HV vehicle have this option. P s I don't like how the EV market are sold on battery capacity. At full charge you can get this many miles. Anyone who knows his beans know never to charge a HV battery above 80% and not let it drop below 40% to prolong the battery life. This then reduces the actual usability range massively. Also to charge a HV past 80% takes alot longer as this is the cell voltage balance period. Just a point. P s keeping my petrol car n diesel van. I don't see any hurry for me to make the jump. That's suits me not everyone. Everyone has different requirements and as long as we have choices all will be fine. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Re quick charge times there is the option on alot of HV vehicles to have the DC charging point this changes a charge time from around 8 hours to 30 mins.but not every HV vehicle have this option. P s I don't like how the EV market are sold on battery capacity. At full charge you can get this many miles. Anyone who knows his beans know never to charge a HV battery above 80% and not let it drop below 40% to prolong the battery life. This then reduces the actual usability range massively. Also to charge a HV past 80% takes alot longer as this is the cell voltage balance period. Just a point. P s keeping my petrol car n diesel van. I don't see any hurry for me to make the jump. That's suits me not everyone. Everyone has different requirements and as long as we have choices all will be fine. Fingers crossed.
Tesla fits Lithium phosphate batteries to its latest production … and recommends they are charged to 100% every day.
Are these different to the HV batteries youre referring to?

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Tesla use a different cell and voltage to everyone else. Hence Tesla charge points n everyone else's charge points. Not worked on Tesla only the Bavarian motor works . make which are incidentally Chinese made now.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No.
I predict that in 10 to 15 years we will have electric motorhomes with a 300/400 mile range and a 15 minute charge time.
There will be no need for gas or leisure batteries as everything will be powered by the main battery.
I do suspect that motorhomes will get smaller with perhaps PVC's being the norm.
Just wonder where all that green electricity will come from, BUSBY..

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Just wonder where all that green electricity will come from, BUSBY..
We’re already up to 42% of UK electricity coming from renewables last year

If they build it, it will come …

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

Several times every month gas is down now to less than Nuclear is providing. Most days wind baseload is > that of nuclear..

My money is on a 100% gas free day sometime in 2025, and it being "near normal" by 2030. The issue really is we've built most windfarms down the east coast of UK rather than a sesnible split from west to east, so we lose LOADS of generation when wind in east is in doldrums. Where if we had a 50/50 split that drop-off wouldn't occur as frequently. Funnily enough next batches of wind being auctioned are on West coast.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Several times every month gas is down now to less than Nuclear is providing. Most days wind baseload is > that of nuclear..

My money is on a 100% gas free day sometime in 2025, and it being "near normal" by 2030. The issue really is we've built most windfarms down the east coast of UK rather than a sesnible split from west to east, so we lose LOADS of generation when wind in east is in doldrums. Where if we had a 50/50 split that drop-off wouldn't occur as frequently. Funnily enough next batches of wind being auctioned are on West coast.
Might be not enough shallow water.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Might be not enough shallow water.
Agreed, but if they just allowed on-shore along the west coast it would be plenty to be honest -> remember a lot of the current issues are the England "quasi-ban" on new onshore at moment. I say quasi ban as they've approved ~ 3 turbines a year onshore a year over last 10 years.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

I don't understand how energy is classed green or not..They plant trees to counter carbon BUT in Scotland over a million trees were cut down to build Wind farms,,,how does that work..I reckon its a bit like the King's clothes,,,We are being conned..BUSBY.😇😇😆😆

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2023
Dunstable, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
2002 to 2010 the 2021 to now
I don't understand how energy is classed green or not..They plant trees to counter carbon BUT in Scotland over a million trees were cut down to build Wind farms,,,how does that work..I reckon its a bit like the King's clothes,,,We are being conned..BUSBY.😇😇😆😆
What intrigues me is. How many gallons of diesel is burnt in the installation of one turbine, how many kW have to be produced before the turbine covers that cost, and how much atmosphere pollution did the diesel produce, with the likelihood that it will always be with us. Anyone able to enlighten me, i bet there is.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
What intrigues me is. How many gallons of diesel is burnt in the installation of one turbine, how many kW have to be produced before the turbine covers that cost, and how much atmosphere pollution did the diesel produce, with the likelihood that it will always be with us. Anyone able to enlighten me, i bet there is.
Not forgetting the miles and miles of copper cables required to deliver the said green energy to power the green😄😄😄 lithium battery in your green e.car,,,and you can still fly to Spain for under £50,,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
7 - 9 months. Not as bad as some people claimed. From then on it is less carbon into the atmosphere than anything else.

One source. Many more are available.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
7 - 9 months. Not as bad as some people claimed. From then on it is less carbon into the atmosphere than anything else.

One source. Many more are available.

It all depends who is writing the reports,,,Excellent article over the weekend in the Telegraph blowing holes in everything I thought I knew about plastic and its danger to the environment,, , BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Forgetting the arguments around the generation of electricity, I have been trying for years to get an answer to the following.....
How much carbon is created during say a 40000 miles EV including infrastructure and everything from the ground upwards compared to a diesel vehicle of the same size and mileage including their own emissions and final scrapping back to base material.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
What intrigues me is why electricity from the wind and sun, which is free once we've built the kit, is such a hard sell. I guess these people must be blissfully happy paying £1.60/lt to fill their vans with fuel ...

Versus the alternative of Putin and the Arabs digging massive holes in the ground, refining what comes out of the ground using even more energy, pumping the oil through huge pipelines carved into the landscape or buried in the sea, or loading it into massive supertankers that burn 12,000 litres per hour of diesel, and then selling it to us at considerable expense to burn in expensive power stations that also require connecting to the grid, or distributed to filling stations in expensive tankers ....?

Since 2000, approx. 500m new trees have been planted in Scotland or around 40m per year. The amount lost to wind farms is equivalent to one years normal felling

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It all depends who is writing the reports
Multiple studies, some by universities with peer review come to roughly the same conclusion. Even building on peat moors (which I disagree with) is only 2-2.5 years.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Forgetting the arguments around the generation of electricity, I have been trying for years to get an answer to the following.....
How much carbon is created during say a 40000 miles EV including infrastructure and everything from the ground upwards compared to a diesel vehicle of the same size and mileage including their own emissions and final scrapping back to base material.
Why ....are you interested in saving the environment ? If you are thats a great, if complicated question 👍

In the meantime, if you'd like to save money, and help clean up the air you breathe, just jump in and get one - especially if you can charge at home, then its a complete no brainer .

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Plenty of good quality studies done on this. Again not as horrific as portrayed by some.

Every time I see your name I laugh a bit. I really do like it, one of my favourites on here :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back