Motor home engine turns over but won’t start,immobiliser light on.Fiat Ducati cab,15 years old (1 Viewer)

Jane Youd

Free Member
Apr 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Brersner
motorhome turning over but won’t start,immobiliser light on.15 year old Bursner with Fiat Ducati cab

phsom

Free Member
Jun 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato roadstar
Hi.... See your Direct Messages.

The method I describe is surgical removal of one of the immobiliser boxes. The one in the engine next to your diesel fuel pump.

Before you do this you can try a new aerial around your ignition barrel.
And do you have Red and Black keys for ignition? The Red key shouldn't be used every day and is a master key that can reprogram Black keys.
Only have a blue key and a black one

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I find turning key off. Turning lights on and off. Then it starts. Not failed me yet and it's done it a dozen times.

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I know you said you tried the spare key but that was my problem. I bought a second remote key and had it programmed with my first remote. What I didn’t realise and wasn’t told by the garage the original spare key had to be reprogrammed at the same time as the two remote’s otherwise the imobliser fault comes up and either the engine won’t turn over or it just turns over. Either way I got the imobliser symbol on the dashboard.
I do wonder if you problem is due to the keys having become corrupted in some way

Upvote 1

phsom

Free Member
Jun 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato roadstar
I know you said you tried the spare key but that was my problem. I bought a second remote key and had it programmed with my first remote. What I didn’t realise and wasn’t told by the garage the original spare key had to be reprogrammed at the same time as the two remote’s otherwise the imobliser fault comes up and either the engine won’t turn over or it just turns over. Either way I got the imobliser symbol on the dashboard.
I do wonder if you problem is due to the keys having become corrupted in some way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

phsom

Free Member
Jun 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato roadstar
I had just driven it to the mot then away to return home, just parked up when engine cut out and key symbol came on ( must not like the hot weather 😅)

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had just driven it to the mot then away to return home, just parked up when engine cut out and key symbol came on ( must not like the hot weather 😅)
Have you tried doing what I said above?

The immobiliser light is quite common on these fiat's. Most times doing what I said above will solve it .

My current van did it twice in Ireland and never again since , my previous hymer did it on 2 or 3 occasions also.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
nothing on private message, sorry
Screenshot_20230618-165723.png

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
All this talk of immobilisers activating fills me with horror. We have an 03 fiat with a 2.8 engine fitted with both the Fiat immobiliser and a Scorpion immobiliser and alarm neither of which do we have the codes for should they activate or go faulty. We have had it for ten years this year and so far no issues. We contacted the previous owner and he has no record of the codes. Always promised myself that one day we would try and sort a by pass for them but are too weary of the problems that might cause. Yet we know that one day it will happen......should we or shouldn't we.......?

Upvote 0

Benjoseph

Free Member
Jun 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar
If anyone gets this, if they email me a copy of there V5 I’ll post a crib sheet explaining how to by pass the Fiat immobiliser
Eddie I hope you can help. I have a 2001 ducato 2.8 jtd I am currently stuck in Switzerland. Van is being passed from garage to garage racking up the bills. We got hit by lightning a couple of weeks ago. Since then the van won't start
The ecu has had immobiliser removed by the first garage but still no one can make it run.
What should we try next

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Eddie I hope you can help. I have a 2001 ducato 2.8 jtd I am currently stuck in Switzerland. Van is being passed from garage to garage racking up the bills. We got hit by lightning a couple of weeks ago. Since then the van won't start
The ecu has had immobiliser removed by the first garage but still no one can make it run.
What should we try next
Eddie is now retired.

What year and engine?
The old immobiliser discussed here is not linked to the ECU as far as I know. Separate send box (yellow) in dash near ignition and PCB receiver mounted on fuel pump.

Upvote 0

Benjoseph

Free Member
Jun 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar
Eddie is now retired.

What year and engine?
The old immobiliser discussed here is not linked to the ECU as far as I know. Separate send box (yellow) in dash near ignition and PCB receiver mounted on fuel pump.
2001 2.8 jtd. Common rail engine. All dashboard lights stay on engine turns over fine but won't start.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2001 2.8 jtd. Common rail engine. All dashboard lights stay on engine turns over fine but won't start.
Does it have a KeyCode symbol on dash that used to turn off after a few seconds but now stays illuminated?

I think you have the later 2.8jtd common rail ? The method of bypass is not applicable.

But these guys might help.
https://www.autotronics.co.uk/produ...nder-recoding-and-replacement-car-key-service

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Now got this problem on my van of the immobiliser not letting the engine start. Anyone one got any ideas. Daughter is currently stock near York on a country road.

Just tried Northernraider suggestion but didn't work.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Now got this problem on my van of the immobiliser not letting the engine start. Anyone one got any ideas. Daughter is currently stock near York on a country road.

Just tried Northernraider suggestion but didn't work.
When it happens to me I turn off the ignition. Turn on and off the lights five or so times. Then restart the engine and it works. Try it see if it does for DD
Bubba

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
When it happens to me I turn off the ignition. Turn on and off the lights five or so times. Then restart the engine and it works. Try it see if it does for DD
Bubba
Forgot to say. Remove key when doing headlights.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What should we try next
Have you tried the fuel cut off under the bonnet ours tripped a few years ago sat on our drive just had to push back in to reset

Upvote 0

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Currently got the AA on the scene, saying its not the immobiliser.

Upvote 0

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
So AA have tracked the fault to this connector, the white part is broken
IMG-20230725-WA0005.jpg

Just need to find a new one now. Anyone know where to get one quickly

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It should surprise me but it doesn't, the number of people that don't read the whole thread and continue to ask the same question of eddyvanbitz.
I met up with Vanbitz 'junior' at a show earlier this year and shared my pics and method as Ash still has a steady stream of people asking Vanbitz for help.
The simplest solution is to change the fuel pump for one withOUT the immobiliser chip. But a lot of people seem to want to try the surgical removal route. I didn't have much choice being on a relative's driveway blocking their access when my intermittent fault became permanent. 😁

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back