Is this as good as it seems? EU roaming included. (2 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Finally got a reply this afternoon. Advising that I make sure the APN is set to ‘everywhere’. Of course I’d tried that 😡 and every other APN I could find online.

I’m back in the Uk now so have asked for a refund as the sim was worse than useless for the entire period I needed it.
Pity the customer service is so lacking. I’m going to the US with the entire family in July and was planning using 2 of the global sims in seperate MiFi units.
We are in Canada and have a global SIM data only, it is working very well, also used in UK.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Have you found out if you have phone sim or global data only.

Just had a look and I have had a couple of emails today from RWG, the first one confirming the sim activation and the second a reply to my concerns regarding the sim being global.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Paul,

That's correct, there have been some changes to our Global SIM cards but they opparate in the same manner as other Global SIMS.

Best Wishes,

RWG Mobile Support Team
Tîm Cymorth RWG Mobile
01633 415333
support@rwgmobile.wales
www.rwgmobile.wales

attachment

Merlin House, Langstone Park, Newport NP18 2HJ | Tŷ Merlin, Parc Langstone, Casnewydd NP18 2HJ

On Fri, 28 Apr at 4:17 PM , Paul Webb <paulwebb33@gmail.com> wrote:
The following details were submitted through a form on Support-ENG-PER:
Mobile Number:07965243xxx
Name:Paul Webb
Email:paulwebbxxxxxxxx
Query type:Other
Platform - select your platform:Other
Message:I'm more than a little concerned that I have not been sent the Global Data sim that I ordered to use I'm my Teltonika RUT955 router as the sim I have received appears to be a normal phone sim.
I noted that another person on our MHF forum posted a photo of their Global data sim card and it was totally different to mine.
As a result, I tried my sim card in my phone and I can use the sim to make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages even with WiFi and data turned off on my phone which I would not expect to be able to do on a data only sim card.

I'm very interested to view your reply.

Kind regards
Paul Webb

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Some progress for me, I looked up on line to see the nearest spot for 5g EE and drove to where indicated, just outside Norwich, with my mobile phone and my iPad (which will take a sim) Didn’t find 5g but did get 4bars 4g on ‘Now’ was then able to make a phone call and download data. I then switched the Sim to the iPad and again able to receive data. (y) Back home, put the sim into my RTX14 and all appears well. We are on the Portsmouth Santander ferry on Thursday, so hopefully all will still be okay when we get there. NB. Mine is supposed to be the 200g Global data sim.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I have had an answer to my query about the global sim. It is £10 a month extra and not a one off charge. (Which is what I thought)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I have had an answer to my query about the global sim. It is £10 a month extra and not a one off charge. (Which is what I thought)
Are you sure? What form was the answer - email? Can you reproduce it here, please?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Are you sure? What form was the answer - email? Can you reproduce it here, please?

Yes it £10 per month on top of the phone version, how do I know, I have the Global version. (y)

carl2

Free Member
Apr 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Our 200GB Global data SIM arrived and is the same as Two on Tour

Good news - they delivered the SIM to Portugal. Took one week to arrive.

Is not working 'out of the box'. Tried SIM in iPhone and router (Netgear Aircard 810S).

Have sent an email to activate.

Also keen to confirm it is definitely a 'data only' SIM. Will update :)
SIM was activated today and seems to be working fine.

They also confirmed it was a 'global data SIM' (card said mobile and came with number).

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
Back in France now by a lake near a small village 40 miles south west of Bordeaux, in the middle of nowhere no big towns in the area.

I'm getting 95 mb/s never seen speeds that high anywhere before.

Thinking about my problems with the Mifi maybe down to it logging onto a different band on the mast to my phone. Might try it again here as it is a pain relying on a phone hot-spot.

Anyone know with the Teltonika routers if you have the option of selecting the band if the mast is transmitting more than one.
I'm just back from France and found that my 200gb RWG SIM wasn't able to stream on 5 of the 14 days I was away (on Orange F/Now), but my phone SIM on Vodafone in the UK and SFR in France worked fine on those 5 days.
I too have a Teltonika RUX955 router and did have issues with the RWG SIM connecting when I first had it, but its been OK connecting since. I did notice that using the Teltonikas speed test, I was getting better speeds with the RWG SIM than the Vodafone one, but streaming was worse...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve been constantly getting better data than in uk and been streaming tv with no problems. Even in small villages miles from anywhere

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
I’ve been constantly getting better data than in uk and been streaming tv with no problems. Even in small villages miles from anywhere
Do you use a mifi, tether your phone or an LTE router?

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
I’ve given up now. Have wasted hours checking/changing settings and swapping the sim between devices.
They’re refunding the £28.

Customer support from this mob is beyond poor. I can accept technical issues/they sent me the wrong sim/ or whatever. 4 days of radio silence though, is brutal.

As soon as the sim was activated last Thursday morning I let them know I had no data. I got one reply asking what MiFi unit, and that was all till they finally responded on Tuesday.

Sep 17, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
Currently in a vineyard, part of the Portugal easycamp sites. It's south east of Lisbon and its the home of Filipe Jorge Palhoca wines. No services but for your €19's you get a good night's sleep and three decent bottles of wine in a gift pack. Oh and by the way I'm currently getting 6mps in the Mifi.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I bought the 2 Year Global Sim with 2Gb of data per month for £45. This is to keep my Raspberry Pi running with the Venus software monitoring the leisure electrics. I am about to go to France next week so intend to purchase an 'add on' 100Gb data for £15 for one month. The Website and App are confusing so, watch this space.... :oops:
The 100Gb has been added and departure from Uk is due 8.30 Tuesday (Poole)

Sep 17, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
Currently at Costa do Vizir Camping at Porto Covo Portugal. Best facilities we've encountered in our touring days. All new, numerous and beautiful swimming pool. Beautiful little town with lovely restaurants. We are getting 10 mps so are gonna stream a movie.

Sep 23, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
>8 years in T5
I’ve given up now. Have wasted hours checking/changing settings and swapping the sim between devices.
They’re refunding the £28.

Customer support from this mob is beyond poor. I can accept technical issues/they sent me the wrong sim/ or whatever. 4 days of radio silence though, is brutal.

As soon as the sim was activated last Thursday morning I let them know I had no data. I got one reply asking what MiFi unit, and that was all till they finally responded on Tuesday.
I’ve also given up. Support service from RWG is not fit for purpose, no answering phone and no replies to emails. I gave them 2 weeks but have now gone to Popit who helped me set up within 24 hours of receipt of sim.
If I need any extra data whilst away I’ll get a local sim.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I’ve also given up. Support service from RWG is not fit for purpose, no answering phone and no replies to emails. I gave them 2 weeks but have now gone to Popit who helped me set up within 24 hours of receipt of sim.
I've had several helpful emails from Tim and he tells me that my £15 100Gb deal is 'on' so, we will see when we get to France next week.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you tried sending your messages from a different email address?

Sep 17, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
Streamed the movie on Netflix with no problems. We are now at a reservoir, Barragem do Roxo, approx 20 miles north of Castro Verde Portugal, It's out in the wild but we are still getting 8mps so quite adequate for normal use. Lovely place to stop for a night, very dark and very peaceful.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Have not got a clue, can you do that with text messages as well? but even so is a data only sim not data only then?
I was not expecting to see it registered on the EE network.

So will turning WiFi off and trying again prove the point?

My brother ordered the 200GB data-only Global SIM (£28 per month) on 26 April. He says he received it within 24 hours.

The letter which came with the SIM is a bit confusing; it seems to be a standard letter as it mentions calls, texts, voicemail and topping up.

When he emailed RWG to activate the card, they recommended that he "...makes a single call while in the UK to register the SIM onto the UK network and to optimise performance overseas."

After reading this thread, I suggested that he tried to make a call using it, which he did by phoning me at 3pm today. Like Two on Tour, that confused me as I wouldn't have thought it possible to make calls on a data-only SIM. I suggested that he email RWG to check that he had the right SIM.

He received a reply within 30 minutes to confirm that the SIM card he was sent IS a data-only SIM and that calls will be disconnected shortly.

I've attached a photo of the SIM card he received.

Anyway, he's off to France and Spain tomorrow so I'll be interested to see how he gets on.

pasted.png

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
My brother ordered the 200GB data-only Global SIM (£28 per month) on 26 April. He says he received it within 24 hours.

The letter which came with the SIM is a bit confusing; it seems to be a standard letter as it mentions calls, texts, voicemail and topping up.

When he emailed RWG to activate the card, they recommended that he "...makes a single call while in the UK to register the SIM onto the UK network and to optimise performance overseas."

After reading this thread, I suggested that he tried to make a call using it, which he did by phoning me at 3pm today. Like Two on Tour, that confused me as I wouldn't have thought it possible to make calls on a data-only SIM. I suggested that he email RWG to check that he had the right SIM.

He received a reply within 30 minutes to confirm that the SIM card he was sent IS a data-only SIM and that calls will be disconnected shortly.

I've attached a photo of the SIM card he received.

Anyway, he's off to France and Spain tomorrow so I'll be interested to see how he gets on.

View attachment 750491
That is the same as mine and I adopted the same procedure, before leaving UK, it's all good now, so your Brother should be okay. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back