Want to change to linux (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Can any one tell me what the best Linux version whuld be the best for my old windows 7 starter laptop.
And how to put it on Gromett is probably the best to ask on hear I would think
Bill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can any one tell me what the best Linux version whuld be the best for my old windows 7 starter laptop.
And how to put it on Gromett is probably the best to ask on hear I would think
Bill

Linux Mint - Cinnamon addition would be my recommendation Bill.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Just be aware, Linux is a very different animal to windows!

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ubuntu. The easiest version to use and all the software can be downloaded from their own shop most of the software is free.
Also all the updates are free also and the operating system uses very little in your hard drive.

so you can use a very old computer with a small hard drive to start you away.
it is nothing like windows but very easy to get the hang of.

a little like Apple I mac and Ipad ..

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ubuntu. The easiest version to use and all the software can be downloaded from their own shop most of the software is free.
Also all the updates are free also and the operating system uses very little in your hard drive.

so you can use a very old computer with a small hard drive to start you away.
it is nothing like windows but very easy to get the hang of.

a little like Apple I mac and Ipad ..
As long as I can get this thing to work I don't care all I want to do is write a few documents brows the net send receive emails that's it

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
As long as I can get this thing to work I don't care all I want to do is write a few documents brows the net send receive emails that's it
Perfect for the job then

search the net google or what you prefer. Then download it to a disk or USB key.
read how to download as I think it used to be a specific format or something been a very long time since I did it.
I am now an apple user. Was not my choice but that’s how it goes somtimes.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Perfect for the job then

search the net google or what you prefer. Then download it to a disk or USB key.
read how to download as I think it used to be a specific format or something been a very long time since I did it.
I am now an apple user. Was not my choice but that’s how it goes somtimes.
Dowing a direct down load is it a cleen system restore with no Microsoft crap totally sick of buying ther crap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Yes you can delete windows completely, but read the instructions first!

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dowing a direct down load is it a cleen system restore with no Microsoft crap totally sick of buying ther crap
Ubuntu can also be used to run alongside of windows.

so you could try it while still having windows unless your installing on another computor.

if you then find you like it you can reinstall Ubuntu as your primary operating system.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’ve got an aging Windows desktop setup that could be spruced up.
Stuff is working now but what Microsoft crap do I need to avoid for simple docs and managing email?
Is it going to be frustrating getting and installing drivers for hardware?

Deleted User
Be careful of what you wish for, I have Ubuntu on my desktop but I wouldn't be without W10 on my lappy.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Raspberry Pi is also a good way for an introduction to Linux if you want to keep Windows for those times when nothing else will do.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have played around with quite a few versions of linux on different specifications of machines. As Gromett says Mint is a good start but I have found it getting s bit more resource hungry of late.

My current favorite is Zorin which is very windows like in appearance which you may or may not like!

Best to use a usb stick to install. They have good instructions on how to create the pen usb drive. You can also check it out before installing it from the usb drive.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
kevenh linux is getting better at auto updates and there is loads of information out there to help.

If you confirm what you currently must have to do what you need to do there will be linux alternative and people on this forum will be able to recommend.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All you need is a smartphone with Android, ditch all the other rubbish.
I havnt found the need for windows or a computer for at least three years.
That includes banking and all dvla stuff tax and anything else that needs internet.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have an old laptop, previously Win7, with Ubuntu installed from a USB stick. It runs the same software I have on the Win10 laptop. Firefox browser,Thunderbird email, Libre Office word processor, spreadsheet and drawing package. I have another identical laptop with Win10, which has software only available on Windows. I sometimes don't turn it on for weeks.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said, Linux Mint Cinnamon is very good. Got a laptop and two desktops running latest version (one desktop dual boots with Win 10 Pro and the other tri-boots with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro).

Mint is derived from Ubuntu but with, for me, a "prettier" front end.

Firefox browser and LibreOffice both install as defaults during installation process and will meet your browser and office requirements.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That includes banking and all dvla stuff tax and anything else that needs internet.
I need a bit more than a phone for what I want to do

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
kevenh linux is getting better at auto updates and there is loads of information out there to help.

If you confirm what you currently must have to do what you need to do there will be linux alternative and people on this forum will be able to recommend.
Word processing for traning programs documents manly that I find difficult on a phone sprees sheets
Bill

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I have never ever had any problems with Ubuntu.
in fact the very first version of Ubuntu. Yes I started then with it as well as windows 3.11 I think it was then maybe wrong with the windows version.
so the very first version of Ubuntu
was in fact a brown screen with a small white box in the centre where you would type in a web address.
it never saved anything and when I say that I mean no bookmarks and no storage .

designed for third world countries education .

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
The big distributions are RedHat and derivatives, Debian and derivatives, and SUSE. SUSE has never really taken off in the UK. I use 3 different flavours of RedHat for work (Scientific Linux 6, Centos 7, RHEL 8), but they're not really suitable for causal use. It's not common to use Debian directly, but there are popular derivatives : Ubuntu, Raspbian/Pi OS, Mint, and so on.

In short, Ubuntu 20.04.3 is your best choice for day-to-day stuff. Make sure you allow the use of non-free third-party drivers when you get asked the question during installation. Don't be tempted by "better" alternatives such as Mint: Ubuntu is much better supported, and the thing that has really screwed Linux over the last 20+ years is the constant bickering over 'free' vs. 'non-free', people thinking they can do better distributions, supply a prettier front-end, and so on. Ignore it, stick with the big ones.

Note that LibreOffice is not really professional-level software, and if you need the fancy features of word or Excel then Linux is not the best choice.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What you are outlining is that many people do not need an actual computer, they also do not ‘need’ a computer they can change components on which is why the Apple eco system has been such a great success stable usable practicable and stole a March on the industry, which made others change direction such as Microsoft. Personally I still ‘ need ‘ a computer (a Mac book Pro) but spend much less on a phone I use an iPhone SE. A computer is used for creation whilst tablets and devices phones are more for consumption.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Raspberry Pi is also a good way for an introduction to Linux if you want to keep Windows for those times when nothing else will do.
Great little computers and fully functional have more capability than many can take advantage of

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What you are outlining is that many people do not need an actual computer, they also do not ‘need’ a computer they can change components on which is why the Apple eco system has been such a great success stable usable practicable and stole a March on the industry, which made others change direction such as Microsoft. Personally I still ‘ need ‘ a computer (a Mac book Pro) but spend much less on a phone I use an iPhone SE. A computer is used for creation whilst tablets and devices phones are more for consumption.
Agreed, but for what I do everything is on my phone and the best bit is, it's always right there in my pocket, no need to go sitting at a computer downloading stuff and messing about, I can do all my stuff at the bottom of the field, in the motor (subject to stopping)
Anywhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back