ZTE MU5001 ts9 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m still thinking of getting the above mifi but would like to know where the antenna ports are, been looking at the mifi’s on web but can’t see where they are.
I want to know what TS9 to sma adapters to get, fly lead type or small plug type.
Cheers

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’m still thinking of getting the above mifi but would like to know where the antenna ports are, been looking at the mifi’s on web but can’t see where they are.
I want to know what TS9 to sma adapters to get, fly lead type or small plug type.
Cheers
Some pics might help

20240708_082446.jpg

20240708_082440.jpg
20240708_082431.jpg
20240708_082421.jpg

20240708_082415.jpg

20240708_082427.jpg

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks g go or that, just what I needed.
How’s it performing
Cheers

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just be aware that some variants of these mifis don't always have antenna ports depending on where they are bought from.
I tripped up with that with a Huawei one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just be aware that some variants of these mifis don't always have antenna ports depending on where they are bought from.
I tripped up with that with a Huawei one
I thought all MU5001's have aerial ports but that's a good heads up because as you say not all Huawei units have them despite virtually identical model numbers.
Definitely some MU5001's don't have the RJ45 ethernet port though.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I thought all MU5001's have aerial ports but that's a good heads up because as you say not all Huawei units have them despite virtually identical model numbers.
Definitely some MU5001's don't have the RJ45 ethernet port though.
I think it’s newer MU5001 that don’t have Ethernet but you can get a usb-c Ethernet cable I believe.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Lots of indications on the web that the MU5001 only uses the external aerial connections if there is a 5g type mobile signal. The 4g signal would use the MU5001's internal aerials. Inside your motorhome, in a poor reception 4g only area (5g being still a rarity for most campsite type locations), a more basic 4g only Huawei, or similar, with external aerial might still outperform the MU5001.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think it’s newer MU5001 that don’t have Ethernet but you can get a usb-c Ethernet cable I believe.
Correct, the RJ45 has been replaced by usb c socket in line with most new laptops.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Lots of indications on the web that the MU5001 only uses the external aerial connections if there is a 5g type mobile signal. The 4g signal would use the MU5001's internal aerials. Inside your motorhome, in a poor reception 4g only area (5g being still a rarity for most campsite type locations), a more basic 4g only Huawei, or similar, with external aerial might still outperform the MU5001.
However the MU5001 is a CAT20 spec vs CAT4/6 for the Huawei units with external aerial connectors.
We're certainly seem to be getting as good performance with our MU5001 with internal aerial vs Huawei e5577cs connected to an external aerial however have not been in a challenging area as yet.
You can actually get your MU5001 adapted to add 4g aerial connectors but at a cost!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Lots of indications on the web that the MU5001 only uses the external aerial connections if there is a 5g type mobile signal. The 4g signal would use the MU5001's internal aerials.
I never came across that information Rob, when I was doing my research prior to buying the MU5001 last week. If I had, I may have decided differently on the choice of MIFI. :(
I understood the unit to be backward compatible with 4G and 3G, with or without an external antenna.
I have even upgraded my SMA to TS9 tail leads, from RG174 cable to RG58, in the hope of increasing the signal strength from the Poynting MIMO 3-V12-2.

Manic, I have to say that I am getting better speed test results with the unit disconnected from the Poynting antenna. 🤷‍♂️

starquake. Are you able to give any input on the above points please, especially re theTS9 ports for 5G only
:(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
starquake. Are you able to give any input on the above points please, especially re theTS9 ports for 5G only
:(

I've read some forum artciles on it claiming both sides on the TS9's -> some claiming they are 5g only, some claiming 1 is dual use, and 1 iS 5g only (so only usable on one antenna for 4g). It's a frustrating device (and I note the Z50/U50 I think it is newer ZTE has the SAME limitation).
I've yet to test it myself in anger, it's one of the devices I'm yet to use Personally (my primary device in the motorhome is a older dual ts9 ZTE cat12 device), and I can confirm on that one at least both ts9's are in use.

The issue is it's a bit inconclusive -> There is someone offering to make all 4 paths accessible online for a fee too. It's just a nuts situation, but cost wise annoying.

The Teltonica a few have (at 3x the cost) does use all (4) antenna ports for all bands apparently.

And more confusingly for us all here, I just found out the 2024 chipset for Mikrotiks (which will probably be in other modems this year) ... they have a cat4 modem released able to use all the band 28 stuff (but not band 32) to improve rural coverage. How the heck that has been release is beyond me, it's probably down to people like me noting how poor cat4 devices are on the newer common frequencies! This is only in 2024 (cat4) devices though, and stock hasn't hit warehouses yet with that. They have MULTIPLE products with this chipset.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve not tried mine without Poynting MIMO 3-V12-2 but I will try. Still pleased with unit, seems to be working better than. My previous Huawei B535.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I should summarise above, as it's a bit inconclusive on the 5001 as to the 4g antenna being used via ts9. I can't confirm it one way or another personally at moment. The internal antenna on it from reports are that they are really good as Gellyneck has indicated.

I do still plan to buy one for testing given the price point but I'm awaiting some of the upgraded modems I also want to test (and not just on the van) this year. The issue for me and the reason I don't already have a 5001 is simply becuase theres no 5g signal near my test area at present. Cell towers on one provider are to be upgraded this summer.... And I don't want to test any 5g capable devices without access to 5g signal to test it with antennas (as I suspect in some cases a external antenna may make it WORSE on certain frequencies due to picking up multiple towers when you want one!).

I have hopefully going to (courtest of a friendly local distributor) test the Mikrotik ATL series of dish antenna, 2 ZTE devices (including 5001) the Mikrotik (I shouldn't say this publically) next gen LHG device towards end of summer when the kit all is at their warehouse. All to be put on same pole in same location on same towers (alongside a equivalent of a motorhome mount). This is mostly so I can asess upgrades to the many LHG and SXT devices I have installed on static vans near Hull. This is all to assess what works best in reality rather than just specs before I drive around upgrading stuff this winter for customers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I've yet to test it myself in anger, it's one of the devices I'm yet to use Personally (my primary device in the motorhome is a older dual ts9 ZTE cat12 device), and I can confirm on that one at least both ts9's are in use.
I’ve not tried mine without Poynting MIMO 3-V12-2 but I will try. Still pleased with unit, seems to be working better than. My previous Huawei B535.
Well I have been faffing about with the old twin fly leads, new twin fly leads, single fly leads in either port, and no fly leads.

Of all the speed test results carried out this afternoon, (16th July), the highest results (at 12.49), are those without flyleads, and the unit placed on a window ledge inside the MH.

Screenshot_20240716_144356_Speed Test.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_144525_Speed Test.jpg

Cheers,

Jock.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Well I have been faffing about with the old twin fly leads, new twin fly leads, single fly leads in either port, and no fly leads
Worth considering you may want to check the "bands in use" for each test by actually logging into the router (on a webpage, NOT the app, as the app doesn't display this) in the full version of the admin console, then do the diags/network information page (it's rather hidden in other settings on most ZTE)'s This will allow you to actually collect the signal RSSI and other raw data AS you speedtest. (ie, this is a way of testing that the speedtests don't just show raw speed when in reality the ZTE is stuck on a poor b20 signal, not mentioning any providers in particular, but certainally sometimes our ZTE gets stuck on a poor Three B20 signal where B3 works "better"). It's worth noting when running speedtests as you'll see in real time on the admin page it will join additional channels to improve performance, where it may "idle" on a single channel.

I dont dispute the actual speeds you got though and it does suggest the external antenna is having little impact, but it would be interesting (to me at least) to know if it's making ANY difference at all on RSSI on the various bands when the ts9 is connected as you speedtest. (lower is better on RSSI), so -99 is better than -104.

But from what you've seen I tend to agree the external antenna is of little use (on non 5g). A site with good 5g if you want to test that is St Neots CACC site (it's also very reasonably on the grass pitches) ... (on Three at least, and I presume EE but didn't bother inserting the sim, as had 900Mbit!).

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve been doing tests on the ZTE MU5001 without and with Poynting 3-v12 antenna

Using a 1pMobile sim in Wyboston

A & B without antenna (ts9 fly leads only)

C & D with antenna

Line 1 & 3 are on the 5G 5G (which I think is 5Ghz)

Line 2 & 4 are on 5G ( which I think is 2.4Ghz)

Image.heic

Pings were all around 35- 50 mark
And this the lastest on 5G 5G with antenna

This show that maybe the 4G does get affected my the antennas

But what ever this is a big improvement on the Smarty unlimited sim (both sims are phone ones)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Worth considering you may want to check the "bands in use" for each test by actually logging into the router (on a webpage, NOT the app, as the app doesn't display this) in the full version of the admin console, then do the diags/network information page (it's rather hidden in other settings on most ZTE)'s This will allow you to actually collect the signal RSSI and other raw data AS you speedtest. (ie, this is a way of testing that the speedtests don't just show raw speed when in reality the ZTE is stuck on a poor b20 signal, not mentioning any providers in particular, but certainally sometimes our ZTE gets stuck on a poor Three B20 signal where B3 works "better"). It's worth noting when running speedtests as you'll see in real time on the admin page it will join additional channels to improve performance, where it may "idle" on a single channel.

I dont dispute the actual speeds you got though and it does suggest the external antenna is having little impact, but it would be interesting (to me at least) to know if it's making ANY difference at all on RSSI on the various bands when the ts9 is connected as you speedtest. (lower is better on RSSI), so -99 is better than -104.

But from what you've seen I tend to agree the external antenna is of little use (on non 5g). A site with good 5g if you want to test that is St Neots CACC site (it's also very reasonably on the grass pitches) ... (on Three at least, and I presume EE but didn't bother inserting the sim, as had 900Mbit!).
Thanks for the info and suggestions re bands, but TBH, it's all a bit WHOOSHHHHHH for me. ;)

I’ve been doing tests on the ZTE MU5001 without and with Poynting 3-v12 antenna

Using a 1pMobile sim in Wyboston

A & B without antenna (ts9 fly leads only)

C & D with antenna

Line 1 & 3 are on the 5G 5G (which I think is 5Ghz)

Line 2 & 4 are on 5G ( which I think is 2.4Ghz)

View attachment 923841

Pings were all around 35- 50 mark
And this the lastest on 5G 5G with antenna

This show that maybe the 4G does get affected my the antennas

But what ever this is a big improvement on the Smarty unlimited sim (both sims are phone ones)
Wow, compared to my figures in Woodhall Spa over the weekend, then those at home, yours are vastly greater. The best we got out of all the tests, was 23Mbps at Woodhall Spa, and tjat was on my mate's tablet. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
JockandRita if you at Norwich show this week happy to show you the admin page (you can compare with mine if you want!). Its "useful" to see what your router is doing in real time with its connections to the network. I'm going to be pottering around doing technical stuff when not shopping for motorhome bits at the show that we need (sunshade, if we ever get any sun!).

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What
Thanks for the info and suggestions re bands, but TBH, it's all a bit WHOOSHHHHHH for me. ;)

Wow, compared to my figures in Woodhall Spa over the weekend, then those at home, yours are vastly greater. The best we got out of all the tests, was 23Mbps at Woodhall Spa, and tjat was on my mate's tablet. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

network are you using

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
It is an ID Mobile sim on the Three.co.uk network.

Cheers,

Jock do you use it abroad or use a lot of data? Just pointing out theres a prepay deal available until midnight on Three via amazon that works out at about £60 for 80Gb a month until ... 2027., ie, just under £2 a month.

ID may be a little "expensive" for Three if you don't need roaming. (it's also a little lower in priority than a 3 own brand sim).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
JockandRita if you at Norwich show this week happy to show you the admin page (you can compare with mine if you want!). Its "useful" to see what your router is doing in real time with its connections to the network. I'm going to be pottering around doing technical stuff when not shopping for motorhome bits at the show that we need (sunshade, if we ever get any sun!).
That is an excellent offer of help thanks 👍 but unfortunately we aren't at the Norwich Show. :(

Thanks anyway.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock do you use it abroad or use a lot of data? Just pointing out theres a prepay deal available until midnight on Three via amazon that works out at about £60 for 80Gb a month until ... 2027., ie, just under £2 a month.

ID may be a little "expensive" for Three if you don't need roaming. (it's also a little lower in priority than a 3 own brand sim).
We are only abroad for 4 x moths of the year, split into two periods. It's a 70Gb monthly allowance for £10, but with rollover to 140Gb, and all data useable for roaming.
Whilst in Spain Jan - March/ Feb - April, we do use quite a bit of data.

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We are only abroad for 4 x moths of the year, split into two periods. It's a 70Gb monthly allowance for £10, but with rollover to 140Gb, and all data useable for roaming.
Whilst in Spain Jan - March/ Feb - April, we do use quite a bit of data.

Cheers,

Wow, that IS a good deal that I hadn't seen mentioned on here before. I may actually have to get a ID mobile sim myself for our trips abroad (as that IS a good deal). We have historically kept our roaming and non-roaming entirely seperate as we do spend 11 months of year in UK usually (this year is odd as we abroad 7 weeks).

We're doing a trip in October needing heavy roaming in some non-EU places so I'm trying to figure out best options (it's not in motorhome, on a ship) but will need data whenever in port for maps and things, as we prefer to self-tour. Will take a look before I go to try ID then !

For the motorhome I tend to go with the cheapest I can find which is 3 business today (direct) and EE via these scancom people. I'm using the £2/mo contract today as a backup for my house given I only ever expect the BT line to go down for a few days at a time.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Wow, that IS a good deal that I hadn't seen mentioned on here before. I may actually have to get a ID mobile sim myself for our trips abroad (as that IS a good deal). We have historically kept our roaming and non-roaming entirely seperate as we do spend 11 months of year in UK usually (this year is odd as we abroad 7 weeks).
Steady on there Tiger. ;)
ID Mobile deals taken out after June 2023, only include 30Gb maximum for roaming. Mine was taken out just before, so I am loath to part with it. :dance2:

I did get a good deal on a Portugese sim card when out there, at 100Gb for €15 a month, useable in the EU.

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Steady on there Tiger. ;)
ID Mobile deals taken out after June 2023, only include 30Gb maximum for roaming. Mine was taken out just before, so I am loath to part with it. :dance2:

I did get a good deal on a Portugese sim card when out there, at 100Gb for €15 a month, useable in the EU.

Cheers,

Yeah, 30Gb is no good. We had a weekend in Berlin last year, and I only get 12Gb on my current (not in motorhome) personal sim as does wife. We used all of mine, and half of hers... in 2 days -> I had to tether to her for last 6 hours. And I didn't think we even watched a single video ... Bloody maps and app updates I think, but could also have been a software update to a device we were using downloading in background (on the ipad).

Looks like I'll need to look at local sims as you have been with your Porugese sim for this summer for the mifi in the bag (we tend to take a small mifi unit now rather than using phones... we foolishly left it at home for the Berlin trip. The positive is these are getting cheaper. When we finally do our month in France next year we'll be buying a Free.fr sim or Reglo, as both seem to offer pretty good one month deals.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When we finally do our month in France next year we'll be buying a Free.fr sim or Reglo, as both seem to offer pretty good one month deals.
We used a Reglo sim in out Huawei B535 earlier this year and it was brilliant, never failed even in small mountain villages.
I had a 4G sim €13.80 for 200gb payment setup on my Revolut card so about £11.50, next time I will get the 5g sim at €14.80 for 300gb

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Update.........

Our ZTE MU5001 has been returned for a full refund, and I have resurrected a TP-LINK Archer MR600 4G router. I just have to get a DC conversion lead from a Micro USB to 5.5mm x 2.5 jack, to power it off our 5v USB supply.

With discovering that the TS9 ports were only responsive with a 5g signal reception, I really wasn't happy that my Poynting MIMO roof mounted antenna would be redundant, as not only are we are never in a 5g area, we don't have any 5G compatible devices.
The speed tests with the Archer MR600 Cat 6 router, both with the portable antennas as well as the roof antenna, appear to be better than those same tests carried out on the ZTE Cat 20 MiFi. :Eeek:
Go figure. 🤷

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back