Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
This year I will be having extended trips abroad.
Could you give me your best guess on how long a 6kg gaslow refillable bottle would last used ONLY for hot water and cooking.
My past vans have had 2 11kg bottles and all appliances running on gas, so I have know idea.
Thanks
Charlie

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
No problem, fridge is 12v only and heating is diesel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Hi Top Hat we have 2x 11kg gaslow bottles in our Burstner. Spent 4 months in Europe last year and found that 1 bottle would last approximately 5 weeks. We used it for our fridge,cooking and hot water and seldom had access to EHU so it did pretty well.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Me and @GerTee sort of agree.

We spent Autumn at Mo's place and I reckon we used about 6Kg's in about three weeks (but that would have included the fridge)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Depends when you go and what sort of cooking you do. We have gas cooker, use gas to boil the kettle, gas only water heating, and fridge when off grid, oh and cadac. Do use the oven and also grill for toast. lasts 5-6 weeks. frotunately have 2 bottles and refillable bottles.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Is this like one of those Summer Fair questions where you have to guess how many currants are in a cake. It's impossible to know so best guess would be about three weeks but it could be longer or it could in fact be far shorter. A lot of course would depend on the weather and what sort of meals you are cooking as well as how many hot drinks you make during any given 24 hour period. It would also depend on how many hand washes and showers you took in the same period. Being in Europe would also mean taking into consideration the altitude and of course how hot it was as it will take less time to heat water that is slightly warm than water that is freezing cold.

If its a refillable whats the problem just get some more ..

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Is this like one of those Summer Fair questions where you have to guess how many currants are in a cake. It's impossible to know so best guess would be about three weeks but it could be longer or it could in fact be far shorter. A lot of course would depend on the weather and what sort of meals you are cooking as well as how many hot drinks you make during any given 24 hour period. It would also depend on how many hand washes and showers you took in the same period. Being in Europe would also mean taking into consideration the altitude and of course how hot it was as it will take less time to heat water that is slightly warm than water that is freezing cold.

If its a refillable whats the problem just get some more ..

Yes fill up when you get the chance we did last time in France their fittings to fill seem to me a lot better than ours

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Fridge is supplied with 12v from which batteries? How big are the batteries? How long do you intend to be parked?

300 a/h battery bank with 220w solar,
the fridge is fed direct from the leisure batteries.

Me and @GerTee sort of agree.

We spent Autumn at Mo's place and I reckon we used about 6Kg's in about three weeks (but that would have included the fridge)

If I was forced to guess 3 week + would have been my guess.
Nice to get a guess from someone who's done it.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you boil a kettle for hot water rather than the water heater and you are only using the gas for cooking, my guess would be 3 to 4 weeks.
A bit less if you use the water heater ( because you are heating up 10 litres of water each time, not just what you need )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
300 a/h battery bank with 220w solar,
the fridge is fed direct from the leisure batteries.
I'm drooling here!!! :D

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
When are you going....why not live in your van and use it as you would abroad. Then you will know for sure!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When we used to travel with friends in VW sized campers, one 3.4 kg calor bottle would last at least 4 weeks. This was using the gas for all meals every day 2 rings and the grill, and lots of cups of tea. We boiled the kettle for washing rather than fire up the water heater. We stayed mostly on sites as friends had no on board facilities. We used the fridge on gas for about 5 nights of those 4 weeks and every time we stopped en-route for lunch or look around.
Our friends lasted about the same.
So my best guess is that a 6kg bottle will last about 8 weeksif not using it for the fridge at all.

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I'm drooling here!!! :D

I have a construction/civil background (belt and braces) hence the question about gas wondering if I should get another bottle :rolleyes:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The best thing about having a refillable, which we now have, is not having to worry about changing bottles. We keep a look out for garage chains that advertise lpg on the forecourt and when the gauge is reading about 2 dots (7/8 of the way down the dots!) it’s about half full and we fill up at the next opportunity without going out of our way.
The most unreliable part of the system is the gauge!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you know how long an 11Kg bottle lasts you, assume that a 6Kg one will last at least half as long.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you know how long an 11Kg bottle lasts you, assume that a 6Kg one will last at least half as long.
Unless you are a certain well known Labour politician in which case it will be between 10 minutes and 6 months

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
We used 1 bottle 6kg in 4 weeks that was cooking only as was on ehu for fridge and hot water boiled with kettle,and on site showers.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have a construction/civil background (belt and braces) hence the question about gas wondering if I should get another bottle :rolleyes:

Just take a Calor Bottle with you. If you run out switch over fill up and switch back again. LPG is readily available you just need the correct fittings. Don't expect the Filling Station to have them. Some do and some don't.

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Just take a Calor Bottle with you. If you run out switch over fill up and switch back again. LPG is readily available you just need the correct fittings. Don't expect the Filling Station to have them. Some do and some don't.

Yes I will have a full 3.9kg emergency back up Calor gas bottle to do just that, and all the available fittings (y)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you paint a 5L water bottle black on one side and insulate the other side, then fill it and face the black side to the sun, you get free hot water. :cool: works very well in Spain.

I'd have thought without using the fridge the gas would last months. Depends how much you cook though.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Why is everyone guessing ?
The answer is 42 ....... days