Yet another milestone crossed - towed out by a tractor! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Got stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out by a tractor. I guess everyone needs to do it at least once :)

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 18.29.51.jpeg

OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Do you have a towbar or was he on the chassis?
chassis. the towing eye is at the front and we were parked nose first. Thohght about fitting a tow bar just for being towed in the future :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
chassis. the towing eye is at the front and we were parked nose first. Thohght about fitting a tow bar just for being towed in the future :)

Classic mistake, often the rear end can get damaged if the rope is attached under and then higher than the skirt. I had an RV that couldn’t be recovered from the front, only by the towbar, so whenever there was a chance of getting stuck I had to be mindful of a tow out and always keep enough space behind.

In the excitement of arriving people don’t think, I’ve been to events and seen loads in bad weather parked nose to a fence and no towbar, with zero chance of a tow if they needed one.

Glad your first time went well (y)

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Twice for me,first time at Weymouth RFC ths, I did not realise at the time how poor motorhomes were compared go my old vw camper, on damp ground. 2nd time Chester racecourse along with nearly everybody else.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many a time. Front wheel drive van and hubby races motocross and we tow the bike on a trailer. This great sport involves parking mainly in farmer’s fields due to the tracks being in the middle of nowhere. We were even towed into the pits in one occasion. We do have snow chains and might give them a try, see if it helps. Our towing eye is always at the ready. :roflmto:

OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Daft thing is, I realised the second I'd done it what silly thing it was. The "hardstanding" was apparently a few feet to my left but completely covered in grass. I'm not used to parking directly in front of the power pole so parked slightly to the right of it...anyway...blah blah :)

At least it wasn't toooo bad.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Manitou both on and off the pitch at the infield camping at Donington race track.
Its a rite of passage. ;)
Towed on last year but drove away at end of weekend, did they also come out to you with that silly Mitsubishi thing first 🤣🤣

Drove onto campsite for riat last year and grass I was parked on was perfect because I didnt move the van all weekend.....towed out of site as it was a ploughed field by the time I left....didnt even bother attempting to drive out, never gonna be successful 🚜

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Once for us. The March rally at Newark in the snow when they put us in the paddock with an upsloping gateway.

Most of us were towed out on the Saturday and then parked on the old taxiway outside the gates. One Funsters didn't take advantage of the tractor being there. No name, no pack drill, but his claim to have never needed towing off came to an end to on the Sunday after a long wait for the tractor. 😉

I would say the majority of Funsters at the last Peterborough show had to be towed off.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Prescott Hillclimb last November, luckily car in the paddock, and a Subaru Impreza pulled us off the grass/sodden field, not helped by other cars having squeezed onto the grass infront of us and creating muddy ruts as they struggled to leave.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Not needed a tow yet…..but only because I managed to extract myself with ratchet straps winching off a fence.

But I will be taking my new TOAD to Stu’s Fun meet at Elwood. I know it’s gonna be June but it’s a well known damp grass honey pot for motorhomes.
FB528347-34B5-4AC3-8136-B2EE1CB158DD.jpeg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Never been towed off a field yet and was shocked how the 7500Kg RV drove over ground at Peterborough last year that was already cut up by others being pulled out. .... Rear wheel drive, twin wheels?
However, I did get stuck on our storage site pitch - only 2 feet of "grass" between the hard standing on pitch and the main heavy gravel track between rows.....Thought I could power over it but forgot I needed to immediately turn right and all power to one wheel scuppered my plan etc ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back