Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I am not an electrician.

I have a bluetooth battery monitor (NASA BM1 BT) that I would like wired in. Thanks Richard n Ann !

I have two 12v leisure batteries and an inverter. The batteries are connected red to red and black to black.

The inverter takes its power via leads to battery A and everything else takes its power from battery B - although as already mentioned they are connected anyway.

Is it best practice to take all the power via (say) battery B as all the negatives have to go through a shunt? Can I take the inverter negative from the shunt??

Does it really matter how the positives are connected, can that come from either battery?

When making changes, what do I need to isolate, what sparks can I expect, do I unplug the solar panel etc? Any hints and tips gratefully received. I suspect, get a professional to do it will be the most sensible!

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
930536C3-FB47-4DBC-A0AD-9B27021D0DB7.jpeg

Here is the wiring just now

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Keep the negatives joined... Put the shunt onto one of the negatives and connect all outgoing negatives to the other side of that.

Keep the positives joined... connect all outgoing positives to the diagonally opposite positive to the negative you used for the shunt. If that makes sense šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Put the negatives from the batteries on the shunt battery side. The other side of the shunt is for all your loads and charging sources. Positives does not mater.
Are those batteries new? You may want to remove the red transport plugs. It says on the sticker as well.

Richard n Ann beat me to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check for the red transport plugs and vent pipes.

Do I need to somehow (how?) isolate the solar panel whilst working on the batteries? Anything I should avoid??

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check for the red transport plugs and vent pipes.

Do I need to somehow (how?) isolate the solar panel whilst working on the batteries? Anything I should avoid??
Yes donā€™t disconnect them under load , cover them or disconnect them the night before , thatā€™s what I do.

Upvote 0

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
As per Richard n Ann's drawing, ensure that you have the negative load cable on the first battery and the positive load cable on the other. This ensures that both batteries share the load (and charge) and not just the first battery.

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    343.9 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

I put a 100 amp version of one of these on our solar panel positive cable. Just to use to isolate it.

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back