Winter tyres ? (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have opportunity to purchase a set of tyres.Seller calls them winter tyres.Can these be all year use or only winter ?
IMG_4192.JPG

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a little confused because I read if you buy new tyres make sure you have the mountain three peak symbol.This is required in some Euro countries.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I use them all year round
Disadvantage is slightly higher wear and slightly Noisier
But better grip all year round on mud grass or snow

plus 1 , I do have a set of summer tyres but didn’t get around to fitting them last summer, the winter tyres worked well with no significant extra wear,

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Always run my motorhomes on all season tyres, all year round. the 3 peak symbol is the current standard and is required above the m&s markings in some countries, Germany for sure.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
The Michelin Agilis Camping is a one off, it is the only “Camping” designated tyre to carry the winter M+S (Mud and Snow) rating. How Michelin managed this, I don’t know, as neither the Continental Vanco Camper or the Pirelli Chrono Camper achieve the same feat. This is classed as a summer tyre with a more “grippy” tread suitable for light snow and wet, muddy surfaces, but Michelin would have you believe that the compound is something special as well.

“The Michelin Agilis Camping is designed especially for motorhomes, for long tyre life and very safe journeys! Product benefits include: Long life, Robustness & Versatility (M+S marked) The design and technology is derived from the new Michelin Agilis van tyre range. New technology, such as the DCP (Durable Contact Patch), equals a long lasting tyre capable of use over several seasons. The reinforced construction using two casing plies enables the use of higher inflation pressures to provide resistance to heavy loads (up to the tyre's rating). Protected sidewalls: 8 kerbing protectors have been positioned on each sidewall to increase resistance to sidewall scuffing. A tread pattern with 30% more sipes and 20% more grooves, combined with a rubber compound capable of operating over a wide temperature range, provides sufficient grip for occasional use in difficult conditions. Simply the best tyre on the market for camper vans or motor homes.”

The EU ratings for Agilis Camper are:

Fuel Efficiency: (C)
Wet Grip: (B)
Rolling Noise: (70) dB)

http://www.michelin.co.uk/

Nothing new so far as regards Germany, but the definition of a ‘tyre with winter properties’ has been modified since 1 January 2018. To meet the new requirements, a minimum tread of 4 millimetres is recommended (1.6 millimetres is mandatory but perhaps Germany will also decide, just as in Austria, to increase this to 4 millimetres), and winter or all-season tyres must have the Alpine symbol shown below.

Alpine symbol

Tyres that just have an M + S code are therefore no longer sufficient. Manufacturers can decide for themselves whether to put the letters M (mud) or S (snow) on their tyres. But these terms say nothing about the performance of the tyres in winter conditions. What’s more, these symbols may appear on summer tyres. The Alpine symbol gives more assurance. To be allowed to use this symbol, the tyre must conform to a minimum standard of grip in winter conditions (snow grip inde

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I also use them all year round but have not seen additional wear or noise. As well as much better grip the ride is also much better.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I have winters on. Find the wear rate is far better than the normal equivalent tyre.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Marginally off-topic but I'm looking at replacing our 15" 109 rated tyres with 112 rated ones, preferably with the 3 peaks symbol. In looking at what's available, there is quite a wide range in the Fuel Efficiency, Wet Grip and Noise ratings. The fuel and noise things are obviously cost and comfort related but wet grip is a fairly key safety parameter in my mind. The test would seem to be based on stopping distance from 50mph and each change of letter represents approximately 3 metres of braking distance.

Why would one ever settle for anything less than an A rated tyre in this respect, if one is available and affordable? What would an insurance company say if you had tyres with less performance than those fitted by the manufacturer.

@mojo has posted what Michelin say about the Agilis Camper but, setting aside their marketing stuff, it's B rated for wet grip, whereas the Agilis CrossClimate has an A rating, as well as the 3 peaks symbol. They seem to have the same fuel efficiency rating and the penalty is in the noise at 73dB rather than 70dB.

Our current tyres (205/70R15 109 Continentals) have a noise rating of 72dB, with poor fuel rating and B wet grip.

Most 3 peaks rated tyres are equally noisy as the CrossClimate and I'm still looking for a quiet, A wet grip rated, 225/70R15 112 tyre!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I also use them all year round but have not seen additional wear or noise. As well as much better grip the ride is also much better.
I can’t compare them to others before I had uniroyal rain masters on these are a very stiff and hard wearing but high noise levels
Fronts did over 30th and rears are still on coming up to 40th so I can’t complain
I have hankooks m&s on front now and will replace the uniroyals on rears soon for hankooks

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hi
The Michelin Agilis Camping is a one off, it is the only “Camping” designated tyre to carry the winter M+S (Mud and Snow) rating. How Michelin managed this, I don’t know, as neither the Continental Vanco Camper or the Pirelli Chrono Camper achieve the same feat. This is classed as a summer tyre with a more “grippy” tread suitable for light snow and wet, muddy surfaces, but Michelin would have you believe that the compound is something special as well.

“The Michelin Agilis Camping is designed especially for motorhomes, for long tyre life and very safe journeys! Product benefits include: Long life, Robustness & Versatility (M+S marked) The design and technology is derived from the new Michelin Agilis van tyre range. New technology, such as the DCP (Durable Contact Patch), equals a long lasting tyre capable of use over several seasons. The reinforced construction using two casing plies enables the use of higher inflation pressures to provide resistance to heavy loads (up to the tyre's rating). Protected sidewalls: 8 kerbing protectors have been positioned on each sidewall to increase resistance to sidewall scuffing. A tread pattern with 30% more sipes and 20% more grooves, combined with a rubber compound capable of operating over a wide temperature range, provides sufficient grip for occasional use in difficult conditions. Simply the best tyre on the market for camper vans or motor homes.”

Nothing new so far as regards Germany, but the definition of a ‘tyre with winter properties’ has been modified since 1 January 2018. To meet the new requirements, a minimum tread of 4 millimetres is recommended (1.6 millimetres is mandatory but perhaps Germany will also decide, just as in Austria, to increase this to 4 millimetres), and winter or all-season tyres must have the Alpine symbol shown below.

Alpine symbol

Tyres that just have an M + S code are therefore no longer sufficient. Manufacturers can decide for themselves whether to put the letters M (mud) or S (snow) on their tyres. But these terms say nothing about the performance of the tyres in winter conditions. What’s more, these symbols may appear on summer tyres. The Alpine symbol gives more assurance. To be allowed to use this symbol, the tyre must conform to a minimum standard of grip in winter conditions (snow grip inde
Having recently bought a new vehicle I understand that as long as the manufacture of the tyres were before 1st January 2019 the 'peak' symbol is not mandatory but will be I think in 2022 or something like that.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Continental Vanco Winter 2 - proper winter tyres with the proper symbols. Available in several different sizes and load ratings - see their website then go online to find a tyre place.
Have used them all year round for years, have not noticed any noise or ride problems. Am happy with the wear rates but I've not got any info to compare them with directly. Kwikfit have always had the best price, except when I had to "emergency order" a pair direct from Germany which were a lot cheaper. Haven't seen that deal since mind.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi

Alpine symbol

I have these on front of my van and the grip isnt great on damp tarmac to be honest having said that I have never got stuck on grass ( I bet I will now ) I looked at mine today and they are very perished loads of tread left but side wall on one is terrible. Thats how comes I found this post I am looking for a suitable replacement to replace them with now and a search got me to this thread.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
General eurovan A/S (All season) 365 for me

3 peak symbol good EU rating for grip economy & noise & reasonbly priced at £100 per corner fitted

Be careful when looking at EU rating, as it can vary for different sizes of the tyre

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have opportunity to purchase a set of tyres.Seller calls them winter tyres.Can these be all year use or only winter ?
View attachment 276507
We used Hankook M & S .. loved them ! Used them all year..
They were MUCH quieter than the poxy Michelins that were fitted at standard, and after getting stuck just about every where, the Hankooks never once failed to get us out of mud, sand and sopping grass :)
When we sold the van they had done 12000 miles. swapped them with my son and he has done a further 15000 miles on them, and there is still LOADS of meat on them:)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Alpine symbol

Interesting but there's no way you "need" camper tyres anyway. Commercial van tyres with a suitable load rating are absolutely fine
(We're '4 seasons 2' users too)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a set of these which seem to work very well. Broken Link Removed

And they are not too expensive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.