LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes. Lots of people do. A large number of sites are open all year or only shut for a month or two. Many Funsters also head for Spain and Morocco. If going where it is really cold it helps if your van is 'winterised' and had a double floor with water tanks between the floors.

Reading https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/winterising-your-motorhome.86/ in the resources section may help. PS. Hit the download button on the top right. It's more aimed at leaving the van.

A good silver screen cover is great as it significantly reduces condensation. You need to ensure you get a lot of ventilation when using (or have just used) the van as cooking and breathing plus coming in with wet coats etc bring moisture in.. Just open teh door and vents if you have a nice day.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We use our motorhome 12 months of the year however during winter we're normally in the Scottish Borders 'cause the weather is, usually, terrible!:whistle2:

Jan 15.jpg

Jan 2015

Jan 18.jpg

Jan 2018

Dec 19.jpg

Dec 2019

Jan 20.jpg

Jan 2020

Jan 22.jpg

Jan 2022

Jan 23.jpg

Jan 2023

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We love travelling in the MH in the winter...although the days are much shorter.
So many different challenges to ensure a successful trip...but the benefits are there...with modern vans with good insulation and efficient heating, comfort is easily achieved..

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No way. I thoroughly dislike the cold so more or less from October to April I go into my winter hobbies mode indoors or in a warm workshop, or clear off for a sunny top up in the Canaries. However, I take the m/h out for a 20 or 30 mile run about every 2 to 3 weeks to keep it 'loosened up' and to rub the rust off the brake discs.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No, mine is SORNed for 6 months. I don't mind the cold, I just wouldn't enjoy being in the van at all.
Plus the road salt rotting the metal away underneath, the van wouldn't enjoy it either. It stays in my garage at the side of the house.

The engine doesn't run, nor a wheel turn for 6 months every year (for 10 years now) and in April it starts on the button 🤔 think i'll get new tyres next year mind 😊

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
100%
We use the MH a few days every month at least. Plus 5 weeks at ski resorts Austria.
Plenty of sites still open. Quiet, cold crisp days and back to snuggly warm van.View attachment 950761
Can I ask what is the app that you use for this please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did you try listening to it or did the word Jazz stop you? Keep an open mind and have a listen if you didn't. ;)
People say that all the time then you say do you like the girl from Ipanema....yes that's great, how about Frank Sinatra......yes he was good, how about summertime....yes thats a good tune. I think what most people mean is they don't like the stuff where the tune almost totally disappears.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Yes we use ours 12 months of the year in the UK.
Have been in minus 8c no problems.
We do a mix of short site stays 2-4 nights and pub stops.
We're going to a site for 10 nights over Xmas and New Year this year.
Did the same site last year for 4 nights over New Year and were surprised at the number of vans there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back