Wine Festival Bernkastel-Kues (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We're planning on heading over to Germany in September and want to stay a couple of nights for the Weinfest der Mittelmosel in Bernkastel-Kues. Its a few years since we've been there and when we went previously we stayed at the Knaus campsite but this year it looks like they're only accepting bookings with a minimum stay of 3 nights (understandable, its always busy) and that doesn't work for us.

I'm pretty sure there was a temporary stellplatz just outside the campsite gates though - but I can't find any info on it anywhere. Has anyone stayed at it? Is it run by the campsite or someone else? I know there are other places a bit further along the river, but we like the location of the Knaus site and its only 20 mins walk into town.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
We stayed at Knaus last October, lovely staff.
Just as we were walking into the village we got jumped on by a Welsh lady who lives there and as she was a tour guide gave us a walk aroundšŸ˜
There is a car park just near the bridge you walk across to get into town, it says no overnight but there were at least 3 vans parked up all night and they also have a waste point and fresh water supply in that car park. Just near herešŸ˜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We stayed at Knaus last October, lovely staff.
Just as we were walking into the village we got jumped on by a Welsh lady who lives there and as she was a tour guide gave us a walk aroundšŸ˜
There is a car park just near the bridge you walk across to get into town, it says no overnight but there were at least 3 vans parked up all night and they also have a waste point and fresh water supply in that car park. Just near herešŸ˜
Last time we were there you could stop overnight in the car park closer to the bridge in town, you have to go to the Tourist information and get a ticket for maximum 3 days I think, you are right about the dump point in that car park but I don't think you are supposed to stop overnight, we used the stellplatz down the road at Piesport and then parked for the day at your "dropped pin" spot.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016

Last time we were there you could stop overnight in the car park closer to the bridge in town, you have to go to the Tourist information and get a ticket for maximum 3 days I think,
Unfortunately that isn't available during the wine festival: the car park is used for the funfair.

We've been to the wine festival several times and in the past we've stayed on the campsite, but this year they have instituted a 3 night minimum stay which doesn't work for our plans. I'm kicking myself for not investigating this when we were there before because I remember seeing what looked like a temporary stellplatz on the field outside the campsite entrance here: dropped pin so I was just wondering if anyone had stayed on it before and if they remembered who it was run by.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
This is probably late for the op but anyone else going o Berkastel Kues Sun Park closed during covid and as far as I know has never reopened.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
This is probably late for the op but anyone else going o Berkastel Kues Sun Park closed during covid and as far as I know has never reopened.
No not too late for us...we're not going there till September. But sad to hear if Sun Park hasn't re-opened..I think we were probably going to stay there instead of at the Knaus campsite. I'll maybe try sending them an email when we're back from our next trip.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
No not too late for us...we're not going there till September. But sad to hear if Sun Park hasn't re-opened..I think we were probably going to stay there instead of at the Knaus campsite. I'll maybe try sending them an email when we're back from our next trip.
Don't worry good news I've just noticed on Search for Sites it's now back open.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
There are a couple of lovely stellplatz upstream of Berkastel-Kues at Wintrich and Brauneberg on the South bank. You can catch a boat directly from the stellplatz that will take you into town.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
There are a couple of lovely stellplatz upstream of Berkastel-Kues at Wintrich and Brauneberg on the South bank. You can catch a boat directly from the stellplatz that will take you into town.
Lovely BƤckerei in Brauneberg, and the owner Karstan is a top guy, who was on ā€œHairy Bikers European Bakeationā€
We called in and he invited us to a tour of his small bakery and as Mrs Westy had just acquired a bread maker he offered her some special flour, but we had to decline as we were on the Harleys and didnā€™t want the hassle at customs with some white powderšŸ˜šŸ˜

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We're planning on heading over to Germany in September and want to stay a couple of nights for the Weinfest der Mittelmosel in Bernkastel-Kues. Its a few years since we've been there and when we went previously we stayed at the Knaus campsite but this year it looks like they're only accepting bookings with a minimum stay of 3 nights (understandable, its always busy) and that doesn't work for us.

I'm pretty sure there was a temporary stellplatz just outside the campsite gates though - but I can't find any info on it anywhere. Has anyone stayed at it? Is it run by the campsite or someone else? I know there are other places a bit further along the river, but we like the location of the Knaus site and its only 20 mins walk into town.
We were there last month and stayed at the stellplatz for two nights. It's part of the Knaus site as you can pay a bit extra to use the facilities. Good, flat hardstanding.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We were there last month and stayed at the stellplatz for two nights. It's part of the Knaus site as you can pay a bit extra to use the facilities. Good, flat hardstanding.
I think the permanent stellplatz must be fairly new....I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when we last visited in 2018. In the end we changed our plans a bit and booked the campsite for 3 nights. We know it's going to be busy this year and hubby wanted the certainty of having a space when we arrive.

Good job we did decide to stay 3 nights.....turns out they're having the fireworks on the Sunday night this year instead of the usual Saturday.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have just arrived at Bernkastern overspill parking and it's massive. (The one in front of the Campsite).There still taping of the parking areas and there will be room for many hundreds of campers. Charges are 8.0 euros per day and a free bus service Saturday & Sunday.
Weather today is shit but big change for the better from tomorrow onwards.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Charges are 8.0 euros per day
We're not at the festival this year but it's great to hear from someone who's actually stayed on the park & ride. I assume it's cash only? (planning for next year)

Weather today is shit but big change for the better from tomorrow onwards.
Finger crossed it improves....have fun šŸ˜€

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We're not at the festival this year but it's great to hear from someone who's actually stayed on the park & ride. I assume it's cash only? (planning for next year)

Finger crossed it improves....have fun šŸ˜€
Yes cash only. Some motorhomes struggling to grip on the wet grass today but weather now improving and no rain forecast going forward.
This is a city run park and ride. So I expect hundreds of cars to arrive tomorrow onwards. Free buses running every half hour or so from here, all day .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back