Wiltshire, Salisbury appear not to want Motorhome visitors (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Decided I fancied visiting Salisbury on a tour down to Devon & Cornwall in September. Looking for suitable park & ride. Originally spoke to the Red Bus company who wrongly informed me there were no restrictions parking my ambulance size Motorhome in the car park.

On double checking on Google Earth I saw the car parks were all height restricted at 8 feet, but FREE to park and pay the bus fare. I then spoke to Wiltshire Council who said I could park at the Britford park and ride Coach Park but must phone them first to give registration number to prevent getting a ticket. I would also have to pay the coach parking fee and the bus fare on top!

So I take the view they don’t want us to visit, shame on them really.

Salcombe park and ride refuses campervans too. I wonder if this is an advanced warning on what to expect on our travels, there is no wonder we generally camp abroad ☹️

We just have to hope we find campsites with busses close by

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Quite a few South Hams long stay car parks allow overnighting (paid), including Totnes riverside, Kimgsbridge and Dartmouth park and ride. In North Devon, similar but cheaper arrangements are in place for many car parks.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Decided I fancied visiting Salisbury on a tour down to Devon & Cornwall in September. Looking for suitable park & ride. Originally spoke to the Red Bus company who wrongly informed me there were no restrictions parking my ambulance size Motorhome in the car park.

On double checking on Google Earth I saw the car parks were all height restricted at 8 feet, but FREE to park and pay the bus fare. I then spoke to Wiltshire Council who said I could park at the Britford park and ride Coach Park but must phone them first to give registration number to prevent getting a ticket. I would also have to pay the coach parking fee and the bus fare on top!

Salcombe park and ride refuses campervans too. I wonder if this is an advanced warning on what to expect on our travels, there is no wonder we generally camp abroad ☹️

We used Britford P&R a few years ago and parked where the busses go. Don't think I paid a fee though apart from the bus ride but maybe things have changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Tavistock is worth a visit as camper friendly location for Devon. A trip over the moors from Exeter to Tavi is a lovely drive. Stop at the Warren House Inn for a spot of lunch and the CCC Tavistock site is a couple of miles or so out of town. Market day is worth the visit with the Paneer Market interesting and there is a MH friendly CP only a short walk from the town Center. Drakes Buckland Abbey if you are an NT member is interesting too.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
struggling to find a later night motorhome stop around Oxford for a Eurotunnel trip.

Nothing good.

So, expecting to just leave early for a leshuttle to Class and stay on the Calais https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/department/stay-motor-home/hauts-de-france/pas-de-calais

And just leave earlier on the day,

The "UK"is Sh1t
There's a pick-your-own fruit farm and farm shop a few miles outside Oxford we've overnighted at before. Can't remember the name, but it's on Britstops and P4N.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
As a rule, we don't correct spelling (especially if it's not wrong!)...

"When the word bus was new, the two plurals were in competition, but buses overtook busses in frequency in the 1930s, and today is the overwhelming choice of writers and editors. Busses was the preferred form in Merriam-Webster dictionaries until 1961."

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Laika 709 A Class
We used Britford P&R a few years ago and parked where the busses go. Don't think I paid a fee though apart from the bus ride but maybe things have changed.
Same here, have used it 2/3 times last couple of years. Just turned up, parked and got bus without problem so must have changed their rules? Parked in the blue area.

IMG_2011.jpeg

Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
Jul 26, 2018
Helston, Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B698
Exp
12 years.

After failing to get into Salisbury Park and Ride, we went to The Range car park nearby. Just a short walk to the center.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Height barriers on car parks is tantamount to "we want larger vehicles to park on our streets"
Perhaps a range of stickers saying "we want larger vehicles to park on our streets" to be made for Motorhome Fun members to stick on every car park with an unnecessary height restriction.
It might concentrate a few minds in local councils.

Same applies to (London) Boroughs with miles of parking reserved for residents only.
There is no way for trades people, carers, delivery drivers, professional visitors etc to park their vehicles.
You can not buy parking tickets unless a local resident buys them for you.
But many trades people, business visitors etc. never even see the local residents who's properties they are working in.

It's amazing how many millions of pounds local UK councils do not want to claim for free.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
As a rule, we don't correct spelling (especially if it's not wrong!)...

Good job really. It sounds more like buz the way they talk around here 😂😂

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I’ve now joined the CCC to use their site in Salisbury, which us on a bus route to save Sharon’s new knee 😜
Yes - both roads that run past the site/Hudson’s Fields are on bus routes - the ‘upper’ road (Castle Road) service is more frequent than on Stratford Road…..👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Same applies to (London) Boroughs with miles of parking reserved for residents only.
There is no way for trades people, carers, delivery drivers, professional visitors etc to park their vehicles.
You can not buy parking tickets unless a local resident buys them for you.
But many trades people, business visitors etc. never even see the local residents who's properties they are working in.

It's amazing how many millions of pounds local UK councils do not want to claim for free.

As an adjunct to that I was a local resident in a London Borough, but could not get a Resident's permit for my MH because they are restricted to vehicle lengths of <2.5m.

The 2.5m restriction does not apply to Visitors Permits, which include tradesmens' vehicles.. So I used a Visitor's Permit when I wanted to park my own MH in my own street.

Wheels within wheels BoyHo. ;)

MikePilot

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago 64XL QB MB

Salisbury have a very good C & CC site near Old Sarum at the top end of Castle street.

Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Some councils are fearful of their park and ride being inundated with many travellers and then not being able to get them off, hence the height restriction. Came across this in Oxford and i think they have put restrictions in place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back