Wild camping ban Scotland (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 14, 2019
St Andrews, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Wild camping ban in East Lothian Scotland is it this just the start? Looks like other regions to follow suit. Why have we become so unpopular?

• Informative
Reactions: Jim
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Wild camping ban in East Lothian Scotland is it this just the start? Looks like other regions to follow suit. Why have we become so unpopular?
Came out of hiding to answer this...
By "We" I assume you mean motorhomers...
Just to note..the wild camping laws in Scotland do not, and never have included motorhomes...
They are for campers who either walk, cycle, on horse back, kayaking etc... and nothing that has an engine fitted...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
This relates just to car parks as I read it. I saw the story in a pop up link to a local newspaper (sorry but don't know which one), local councillors are having urgent meetings to find alternative sites places for overnight park ups. Apparently the objectors who backed the ban are worried about the natural habitat bring affected.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
It came up on my news feed a few days ago. We're up in Scotland at the moment so it caught my eye.

Here is the link to the East Lothian councils' amendment to overnight parking. Not scaremongering, it's factual

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It came up on my news feed a few days ago. We're up in Scotland at the moment so it caught my eye.

Here is the link to the East Lothian councils' amendment to overnight parking. Not scaremongering, it's factual

Thay are going to provide spaces and protect there sensitive arias that the Townes have messed up.
folks you really have to read the published items.
Additional spaces at Dunbar for one I love the place Preston pans another nice spot only baning in sensitive arias.
keep your knickers on and just keep picking up the dirty bxxxds rubbish.
Wb

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
It may have been updated but wild camping in the lake district is only allowed above 1500 feet....
Tent camping only obviosly as there are no suitable roads at that altitude... Nearest is 1489ft Kirkstone pass.
I may be out of date but I think in the lakes wild camping means backpacking regardless of altitude and it is tolerated (usually) rather than allowed. Done my share there, and a few other places. I think in England Dartmoor was the only place it was legal, and I'm not sure how that stands after recent legal cases.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I really don't care. We'll always head south to France or anywhere else in Europe. Cheaper, even free, better looking, warmer. With friendly people.
You could try Irelands wild Atlantic way. We’re here at the moment. Friendly nearly all free camping, but don’t come here for a suntan.. It’s all about scenery and the Craik.
Phil

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Yes I've heard it's lovely. Been speaking to an Irish couple when in Dinan. They said only avoid Dublin. Because of the immigration violence. I did say I can't visit Ireland, because my Irish friends will want to entertain us and I cannot spent two weeks solid, as drunk as Oliver Reed.

OP
OP
B
Jan 14, 2019
St Andrews, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Do you have a link to the story?

IMG_7825.png

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Not a keyboard warrior just thought it was relevant
Saw the article as well as I live in East Lothian. I also saw a motorhome emptying their toilet waste in a layby in the grass just passed Dunbar we were passing in heavy traffic so nothing we could do.

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Fiat Scudo Nu Ventur
Exp
16yrs
Chew on this one no place is wild camping after all we All own this land unfortunately some parasites have taken it upon themselves to tell us all They own this island and the earth we walk on 🤐
Go back far enough and you'll find they either raped, pillaged or just plan 'appropriated' the land in the first place

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a ban on overnighting in some car parks, nothing to do with banning overnight parking outwith them.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Saw the article as well as I live in East Lothian. I also saw a motorhome emptying their toilet waste in a layby in the grass just passed Dunbar we were passing in heavy traffic so nothing we could do.
Bit of hindsight. Take the numberplate details /photo and report it. With a bit of luck my dasdhcam field of vision might pick up such an event.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I heard a programme on Radio 4 two days ago, talking about having to impose a tourist tax because the area's where the tourist go, especially the 500, cannot cope.
The amenities are only suitable for the original sparse population and, despite the stories about the MH'ers spending in the communities, little evidence of it has been seen compared with the strain on the infrastructure.

It still seems that most people think, one can wild camp ANYWHERE in Scotland when in truth, this is only applicable to people arriving by there own efforts such as walking or cycling NOT in a vehicle? 🤔

Please don't shoot the messenger! 🙂

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
East Lothian is traditionally very anti motorhome!!! Installing height barriers at most popular places for overnighting, they cannot understand why the rubbish and bad behaviour is still happening, without motorhomes to blame. It is a place to avoid. If you want to visit the east of Scotland head further north to the east neuk of Fife, where they cater for motorhomers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back