Wifi booster

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Stonemags76, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ukbill

ukbill Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,903
    just tried this new booster and its great i plugged it in the usb it loaded drivers and found around 20 more networks just from inside the house on the omni Ariel out side it must have found all the towns lol it comes complete with a omni and a directional Ariel it also has 2 usb plugs at the end of the lead so it must allow 2 devices to be plugged in at some time i did not try the directional but not really sure if i would need it anyway so all in all it by the looks of it it does what it says on the box total cost was just under £78 including express delivery:Smile:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,972

I hear much muttering and see pins being stuck in dolls by those who paid double. Though to be fair it's only a single connection for that and does not suit most tablets, no WiFi. With the WIFi unit it's a lot closer to the other price.

3. ukbill

Ratings:
    +5,903
    don't to sure on that brian the fact it has 2 usb plugs means it can do at least 2 units but i only need it for 1 and as a booster so for me its ok and a neat package i was gonna pay around £100 so this is cheaper and a bonus maybe i will get a bigger turkey now lol

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,972
    Are you sure ?

I have seen double USB plugs like that but only to grab two lots of current because some devices exceed 1 USB current limit. If so one of the two is power only.

5. ukbill

Ratings:
    +5,903
    again no idea mate but its ok for me like i said i got 1 device thats all i need and if possible i won't be using that to much :roflmto:

6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,515
    My older model came from the same company last year and despite contacting them several times and trying various things I have never had much of an improvement either to signal strength or number of networks. I am abroad most of the year and to pursue the matter was too much effort. Tried it again yesterday when this thread started, fewer bars with booster outside than with computer inside, back in box again !!

Did you get the complete kit for under £78 as the link seems to give a total price near £170 ?

7. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,515
    I have tried the booster in free air pointed directly at the source, computer outside next to the booster same signals, same signal strength. I have done this in the past and again today with the same result.

This device has made an improvement to a friends laptop in the same circumstances, so obviously does work, but does not show any improvement on the lan card in my computer.

Some lan cards must be more sensitive than others but I cannot find out the specification for the one in my computer to compare. If I did I would need some technical assistance in comparing the two.

Either I am lucky with my computer or the booster is faulty, perhaps next time I am back in the UK I will send it back and ask them to check it.

8. ukbill

Ratings:
    +5,903
    my laptop is wireless and has a good range but this vastly inproved the range i am not sure where you got the price £170 but i got the 2 ariels and the booster for the price i said and it was only that much because i paid the higher p&p to get it next day i posted my order before 2pm and got it next day via inter link and this morning around 9am i checked and it even gave me a 1hr time slot
    http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome wifi directional omni directional kit.htm

9. micky drip

micky drip Funster

Ratings:
    +121
    I`ve read this lengthy thread. I now hve a head ache. Could somebody summarise and tell me which device to buy?

10. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Ratings:
    +590
    Wow, a long thread! A few comments from me (Adam from www.motorhomewifi.com)

Hi Mags. Thanks for this post, I'm glad you received your kit so quickly as you can never tell when sending overseas. I hope it serves you well, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

A directional antenna will always outperform an omni-directional, so it's worth putting a bit of effort to set it up. Usually you have a rough idea where the signal would be coming from - Antenna mast, campsite reception, cafe, bar etc. If you didn't the antenna has a 60 degree beam so what I do is hand hold it out of the sunroof and rotate it through 360 degrees. Once you know the 'rough' direction of the hotspot and you associate with it the LED signal strength meter allows you to go outside, suction mount it and fine tune it without looking at your PC.

Thanks Brian. The software interface we use is what makes it much better then the USB based system (which we also stock, as some people want to be able to use the antenna on its own).

Let me know if we can assist you with this Karl, I've dropped you an e-mail.

With respect the R36 (and our own 'white label' version of it) is a very different bit of kit to the iBoost. The antenna panel used in the iBoost Pro is a commercial grade active antenna which is powered by 12v. It has a higher level of receive sensitivity and we have to 'turn down' the power for the UK market, such is the power of the unit. The web interface on the R36 is a bit clunky and not as nice as our interface which we've had customised to work easily from an iPad.

That being said, if you already have a Ralink 3070L based antenna (or selected Realtek 8187), the USB router is a nice way of 'upgrading' to a internal wireless setup.

This will likely be because either the drivers were not installed correctly on your laptop (the main symptom for this is 'no difference' in connection quality and unable to use any third party software supplied to control the antenna). Or, very rarely, some laptops have a low power output on the USB port. Try and use the single USB port rather than the 2 side by side. On some laptops this may be the USB 2.0 port not the 1.0.

I know you didn't purchase this from us, but if you want to PM me with the product you have (what it looks like and if its a Realtek or Ralink) and I can give you a few things to try.

The 'double plug' arrangement is for 'more power' from low powered laptops, a work around for the problem described above by Matamoros. External CD-RW drives have the same arrangement.

In short - an Omni Directional antenna will be the 'easiest to use' and a directional antenna will give you the best range. If you have an iPad, tablet or multiple devices you might want to consider something like our iBoost or one of the alternatives posted here.

I hope this is of use to Funters. Please feel free to PM me if I can assist with anything. We are attending most of the outdoor shows next year so come along and say hello :thumb:

• Like it Like it x 5
  11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,515
    Thanks Addie, I will gather the required info and PM you tomorrow.

12. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,515
    Sorry, I misread the prices, didn't see the price for the kit and added the individual prices........and managed to get that wrong as well.:Doh::Doh:

13. freelanderuk

freelanderuk

Ratings:
    +542
    The R36 can be powered from 12volt and 240volt , having not seen your software i can not comment , but only takes a few clicks with the mouse and its set up , it also allows you to connect a 3g dongle to share the wifi same as a mifi, i have 3 different aerials which allow for 3 different applications ,ie one for motorhome , one for car and one if we stop hotel or b&b,and if no wifi i can plug the 3g dongle in

14. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +37,990
    I was using >>one of these omnidirectional antennas<< through >>one of these wireless adapters<< via an industrial quality USB cable, but not from the linked suppliers. The results were mixed, with very few connections being made when away in the MH. At home in a housing estate, the set up worked a treat showing many many WiFi signals.

I have more recently started using >>this type of directional antenna<<, and am really pleased with the results, and am more successful with picking up free WiFi, especially in the MH. :thumb: Again, it was not purchased from the linked supplier.
    I am informed, that if I want to connect more than one item via WiFi, I can do so by downloading >>Connectify Lite<< free. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page).

When there are no free WiFi signals to pick up, eg, BT, FON, etc, I get the recently acquired MiFi out, and my daily internet comes via T Mobile, at the princely sum of.............50p per day. :roflmto:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +37,990
    :Smile:

16. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    mifi it's a puzzle to me.

Help, I keep reading on this forum about mifi, please explain just what it is to me a novice in mobile Internet. we usually have to locate a macdonald or use the a campsite access which can be expensive and we are not always on a campsite. We have also seen the boosters that you fix to your van, what's the pros and cons, excuse my ignorance, hope to hear from the more experienced.:helpsos::helpsos::cry:

17. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Ratings:
    +359
    http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5331_Value_MiFi/White?s_search=prodsearch

Just a way of running a number of gadgets on the internet using just one sim card. I buy a sim off ebay for around £13 that gives me 3Gb of data or 3 months use, whichever comes first.

18. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Ratings:
    +588
    iBoost

We recently bought an iBoost and couldn't be more pleased with it. After using USB connected aerials on our Netbook, which made very little improvement in reception, the iBoost is a revelation.

19. Oldyamyam

Oldyamyam

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,
    Have read this post with great interest as I am thinking of getting the Iboost directional system. At the moment we too are using usb connected aerials and finding very little difference in signal strength hence the interest in Iboost, another thing that interests me is having your own password protected network.
    So my thoughts are:-

1, Is the Iboost system really that much better than what we already have?

2, Is it really worth paying so much more than other systems?

:Confused:

Dave

20. MR. FUSION

MR. FUSION

Ratings:
    +12,627
    I have last years model directional booster from motorhomewifi. Which generally works fine. The main problem with directional boosters is that on camping sites you need to get a good line of sight to the wifi aerial and that can be difficult with huge motorhomes inthe way. I noticed the people that posted the pics of the 'fifer' conversion a few months ago had the same receiver as me strapped to a broomstick type of arrangement . To get above the vans in the way! Even just one MH in the way of the wifi transmitter will drastically reduce the directional signal.Also I think if you are putting a receiver all the way up a pole you will also need a powered USB signal booster otherwise the signal power will be reduced by the length of the cable required.