Why have I got a low voltage warning? (15 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Ork

Sep 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Hi all,

I’m new here; thanks for having me! I have a Renault TRAFIC campervan conversion. It’s our 3rd short trip in it and our leisure battery is giving us a low voltage warning. We’ve switched from off-grid to electric hookup and we’re charging up the leisure battery through the hookup now. However, even though the leisure battery is now 38% charged, the low voltage warning is still there. Any ideas, anyone? TIA.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What is it that is annunciating the low voltage?

Also, do you use an inverter?

Ian

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
If you are on an ordinary lead acid leisure battery you in reality only have 50% of that battery capacity available. Once the voltage drops to a point where you are below 50% (from memory that will be 12.8 volts) any decent set up will warn you so as to avoid battery damage. Mine trips out at around that figure.

Your mains charger will likely have a slow rate of charge so it will take some time on an EHU to get back above 50%.

If it lead acid and genuinely at 38% then likely you have damaged the battery. If it is e.g a gel battery they can be taken down to circa 20%.

You would be well advised to check your battery once you have got over the immediate problem. I replaced mine (Hope yours is more accessible than mine is!!!) Batteries don't last for ever so your battery may well have been reaching the end of its life when your problems started.

The simple way to test is on your drive with EHU disconnected and leave a few lights of known output on and see how quickly you get warning lights showing. (Do not leave the fridge on 12V when doing this. That will guzzle electricity.)

P.S. I changed all my bulbs to leds at the same time as fitting a new battery. You may want to consider doing the same.
P.P.S. All of the above assumes you are not on an expensive LiFePO battery. I very much doubt that applies.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
our leisure battery is giving us a low voltage warning.
What % charged did it show when the warning lamp illuminated?
We’ve switched from off-grid to electric hookup and we’re charging up the leisure battery through the hookup now. However, even though the leisure battery is now 38% charged, the low voltage warning is still there.
How long has it been on charge on EHU?

Fully charged voltage for a LA battery is circa 12.8v. Depending upon your set-up the low voltage light will probably be triggered by voltage rather than state of battery charge. 38% charged is only around 11.8v and I would expect the low voltage light to be on until you get to around 50% to 60% charged (circa 12.02v). Dependnt upon how long it's been on charge you may need to wait longer, although if the battery has been down to say, 11 volts this time or on other occasions it's probably done-for.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"Fully charged voltage is circa 12.8v"
I stand corrected on the numbers but we are otherwise singing from the same hymn sheet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back