Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We've just got back from our first trip using a Firestick and my phone's hotspot. It seems to be ok but now looking for a better setup. We're planning a long trip to Spain and intend to get a local sim and a VPN to stream UK TV, Netflix, prime etc. At the moment I'm almost clueless so any advice on which MIFI and which VPN would be gratefully received. Thanks
John

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
I’m really interested in this also, a friend who should know told me not to get too focussed on 5g as (he says) 4g is here to stay for the foreseeable and speed wise it’s plenty for streaming and general internet useage, what he didnt do was give me any idea of what equipment I should look at…

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Don't look at brands, look at lte category. For today (4g+ era) you want a cat12 LTE 4g modem or higher.
Cat4 modems cannot use many of the frequencies in use today (as many require bonding of 2 channels as they now have uplink ONLY and downlink only frequencies). A cat4 wifi device cannot in summary use these, yet these are the frequncies Three, EE, O2 are using to expand their (4g) coverage when there is congestion.

5g in general IS is a waste as we've only found it on 2 actual campsites/places we have stayed in the van.

External antenna if camping rurally is a must -> as certain carriers you won't get a signal on the poor gain you get with a small antenna. People on here say to put phone/mifi on roof, and I can comfortably say we HAVE tried that on the same sim card in our mifi (with an external antenna) and got signal where the iphone has not.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Ref; which VPN -> only suggestion is get one with a decent support on the firestick. You setup the vpn on the firestick or ipad (or both) and NOT on the router typically.

Treat the VPN seperate from Internet (*some routers like the Teltonicas CAN have the VPN configured on them so you don't need to configure your fiestick though).

We use ExpressVPN (and have used it for years to evade certain football related broadcast restrictions) - ie, to watch things you can't watch on a UK sim. It has a natty little app on the ipad where you can "cahnge" your location if you run into any issues, they have something ridicolous like 8 UK regions to pick from to avoid iplayer knocking you out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have just upgraded from a Huawei e5577cs mifi unit to a ZTE MU5001 given the advice from starquake as summarised above.

We did look at "fixed" router options however we like the flexibility of the ZTE (internal rechargeable battery) as we also use it outwith the motorhome.

We got a refurbished unit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28580458...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
A new unit is over twice the cost!

How do you recharge this?

I am looking at a system like this but was hoping not to need to remove a battery to charge just leaving it connected all the time

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I am looking at a system like this but was hoping not to need to remove a battery to charge just leaving it connected all the time
David, it recharges via the USB C input at the base of the unit.
I use a 12v cigarette socket type fast charger with USB ports. (y)

We have just upgraded from a Huawei e5577cs mifi unit to a ZTE MU5001 given the advice from starquake as summarised above.

We did look at "fixed" router options however we like the flexibility of the ZTE (internal rechargeable battery) as we also use it outwith the motorhome.

We got a refurbished unit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28580458...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
A new unit is over twice the cost!
Just this minute ordered one for collection at our weekend location. :)

Thanks to starquake for the input and recommendation. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thanks to starquake for the input and recommendation. (y)

Cheers

No probs as I've said on many threads before it's not the best 5g device out there, but those cost £450-800... it's the most reasonably priced for the performance it offers, and as linked above you can get a lot less for more money right now, so it's advisable to keep eye on prices on ebay. It's also one of best 4g units for the money right now. Optimal mifi is to replace them every 3-4 years as standards improve (as they do and new frequencies are released), hence not spending too much on a device is probably best given you can swap it in 3-4 years for a better one ;) - I have a ZTE 3g only device I'm now swapping as the 3g coverage is being shut down as a obvious example.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No probs as I've said on many threads before it's not the best 5g device out there, but those cost £450-800... it's the most reasonably priced for the performance it offers, and as linked above you can get a lot less for more money right now, so it's advisable to keep eye on prices on ebay. It's also one of best 4g units for the money right now. Optimal mifi is to replace them every 3-4 years as standards improve (as they do and new frequencies are released), hence not spending too much on a device is probably best given you can swap it in 3-4 years for a better one ;) - I have a ZTE 3g only device I'm now swapping as the 3g coverage is being shut down as a obvious example.
It will be replacing the current ZTE ZF971V CAT 6 unit, which for us has been great in low signal areas whilst connected to the Poynting MIMO 3-V2-12 Antenna, when others around struggled with mobile connections. ;)

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
It will be replacing the current ZTE ZF971V CAT 6 unit, which for us has been great in low signal areas whilst connected to the Poynting MIMO 3-V2-12 Antenna, when others around struggled with mobile connections. ;)

Cheers,

I'd actually keep both in van for a spare, and also becuase in certain 3g situations (I mean older 3g only areas) and certain unupgraded cells the older cat6 may perform sligthly better at pulling a signal in. Techically the mu5001 only allegedly (forum posts about this) only uses one antenna port connection for the older frequencies (it has 2 internal and 2 external antenna) so 2 "4g" cat6 may outperform 1 cat20 4g ecternal in effect in places with really weak signal. But as said, I'd personally leave the 5001 conneted in most occasions as in future it'll cover newer frequencies fine.

I was actually on one of the few 5g campsites we've visited 2 weeks ago (St Neots CACC if you want to try a good signal place), was managing faster than home in a speedtest on 4g+ on my cat12 4g device, (130 ish down, 40 up) and ... on a 5g phone, was managing 980 down and 200 up!.. Could have catered for everyone on the campsite with that kind of bandwitdth!

Should add the POSITIVE with our rural campsites, is they are also usually quite high data use in summer, and cell networks prioritise upgrades on "demand" from customer use in areas. I can't imagine north norfolk where 4g is today usually a bit rubbish won't be soon on list to upgrade. We noted the coastal sites between Hull and Bridlington are now getting the upgrades on the newer frequencies as well as 5g enabled in that area prior to the actual towns (likely due to the demand as there are literally thosands of static van sites using 4g in that area (like North Norfolk)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

I've just uploaded the OEM and Vodafone user manuals for the ZTE MU5001 to the Resources section if you want more information on it but as JockandRita says the battery is charged in situ through a USB C port on the bottom of the unit.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I've just uploaded the OEM and Vodafone user manuals for the ZTE MU5001 to the Resources section if you want more information on it but as JockandRita says the battery is charged in situ through a USB C port on the bottom of the unit.

Thank you very much 👍

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Exactly the cat4 type of device I was saying to avoid as does not support all 4g frequencies these days.
And the cat11 one as an option, is less good than the cat20 && 5g device Gellyneck linked above... and costs more than that one too.
Ordered, thanks for the info

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back