When you sell your motorhome do you remove satellite+ (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Do you remove accessories when selling to dealer or private,like satellite dishes, lithium batteries etc. I know dealers will be always want them left on, mainly I think to their advantage, but if you are buying another vehicle , I think it's worth transferring them , what do you do ,?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If selling private then the items will help with selling so leave on or advertise without items. Selling / px will not make any difference to a dealer price so remove lithium and refill gas system - maybe tv if new and good make replace with cheaper. Leave sat dish on unless you watch it a lot- probably better to use WiFi etc now.
I keep the old gas bottle and tv to replace come sale time

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Depends on your agreement with the dealer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Keep them....more use to you.... especially lithium.

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Do you remove accessories when selling to dealer or private,like satellite dishes, lithium batteries etc. I know dealers will be always want them left on, mainly I think to their advantage, but if you are buying another vehicle , I think it's worth transferring them , what do you do ,?
Personally, I always have sat. dome etc swapped to next unit to save cost.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a mate whose job is working on Mhs and Caravans.

he changes his van frequently and I guarantee you he would take the cooker and cupboards out if he could!!!

if you are selling, be honest with the dealer if it's going to them. You would be really surprised but they don't seem to value extras, it only helps speed up a potential sale. What they are sure of though is that you mustn't leave holes everywhere when you remove stuff. Some (for a fee) will even swap kit over for you to your new van. But honesty is the best policy. You must for example leave a working battery in the van if you take your lithium out ( I would be taking it) and leaving it safe, for example if it was set up to charge lithium yo need to reset it to charge AGM etc or at least tell the dealer it needs setting up.
However, that's just me, some people are just dishonest when selling to a dealer and tell them nothing. Remember, someone will be buying your van with probably very little support from the dealer when they drive away. (in some cases).

If selling privately, again be clear. But if you advertised your van and I turned up and you said I'm taking this this and this off, I would probably walk away. Extras are a great selling tool for buyers, it can swing a deal, or certainly would for me.

Jul 15, 2023
Eggborough, Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649
Exp
Since 2003
I was trading or van in for a new one and was told when I mentioned the air-conditioning and satellite done that they made no difference to the price they just made it more desirable. You should have seen the salesman's face drop when I told him I would be taking them off. And that's how it went in, minus the accessories. Although I did leave the mounting feet for the satellite dome in position. Now I remove most of the accessories I fitted unless there is a good reason not to and I can cover any holes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A few years back I was looking to buy a US RV and saw what I wanted in a main dealers, went to view and it was in the workshop having satellite removed, I walked away.
I have recently privately sold my Hymer B544 ,Sat dome still in situ, don’t see the point of removing to save a few quid£ .

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
LOTS of dealers will not offer you more for any accessories and remove them as they prep the van for sale. They then sell the accessories or new ones to any purchaser. So all you are doing is increase the dealer's profit margin

Private buyers will pay a premium for a van with extra goodies

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I am leaving the sat dish and tv in the old van we are now trading in as new one we have a TV and are not having sat dish but using data to get tv. I have removed lithium and refitted the old AGM's, they are moving Gas Low over, I have removed the Avtex sound bar so look for it for sale some time soon. Agreed with dealer up front.

I think if you take the sat dish off you have to leave the mounting bracket/foot?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I am leaving the sat dish and tv in the old van we are now trading in as new one we have a TV and are not having sat dish but using data to get tv. I have removed lithium and refitted the old AGM's, they are moving Gas Low over, I have removed the Avtex sound bar so look for it for sale some time soon. Agreed with dealer up front.

I think if you take the sat dish off you have to leave the mounting bracket/foot?
Exactly my thoughts and plan when we change....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Another issue re leaving 'stuff' when selling to a dealer is that the dealer then has some responsibility to ensure it's all working and has been fitted correctly. As pointed out, it's potentially better for the dealer to be able to sell and fit brand new 'stuff' which will come with a manufacturer or supplier guarantee....

Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MG
Exp
6 years
I wouldn't bother swapping our satellite TV to a new van. As others have said, it's easier to watch TV online now. I'd rather have the 15-20kg payload back and not leave holes in the roof of the van I'm selling.

Jul 15, 2023
Eggborough, Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649
Exp
Since 2003
I've noticed that some dealers now say that they haven't Checked it and won't warranty it so if it works it works and you've gained.i suppose this is the next step on from them saying that accessories don't increase what the van is worth.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
I went to buy a Hymer and the seller said oh by the way I’m taking this off this off and that off! I didn’t buy the van 😐

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
We part exchanged our van 4 years ago and the removing and refitting of the satellite dome and Gaslow was part of the deal.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I wouldn't bother swapping our satellite TV to a new van. As others have said, it's easier to watch TV online now. I'd rather have the 15-20kg payload back and not leave holes in the roof of the van I'm selling.
I agree , but, that is if you can get a signal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back