Wheel repair - internal corrosion on Fiat alloy. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Our 2019 Fiat Ducato was fitted with puncture sealing gunk by the dealer. When we changed the front tyres we discovered that whatever it was has corroded the insides of the (Fiat standard 16" alloys). Annoyingly the valve hole of the front nearside wheel isn't forming a good seal so I'm putting air into the tyre every couple of weeks.

I've tried to find someone to repair them but none of the local tyre refurb people will even look at a van :-(

Does anyone have any experience of/recommendations for getting van alloys refurbished or ideally internal rim damage fixed.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Failing that, what's a good target price for a replacement wheel? I see a set on eBay for £870 and individual wheels for over £300

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Failing that, what's a good target price for a replacement wheel? I see a set on eBay for £870 and individual wheels for over £300
My experience says that is the way to go.

Once a wheel starts leaking due to rust, it can be fixed (bathroom sealant works), but in the long term you are simply putting off the inevitable and there will be other invisible points where it will start to deteriorate .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Had the same problem on my 2018 Fiat wheels. All pitted around the valves due to that gunk put inside from new. I tried to have one welded but the valve base kept leaking. New wheels needed in the end.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Our 2019 Fiat Ducato was fitted with puncture sealing gunk by the dealer.

I've tried to find someone to repair them but none of the local tyre refurb people will even look at a van :-(
A pal had sealant in his motor scooter wheel and took it to two tyre places as the tyre sidewall had split. At neither would they even look at it so he had to replace the tyre and wheel.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Best ask at a reputable tyre shop. Tubeless tyres are generally rougher on the inside, this can abrade a tube used in there. Some will do it, but sign it off as for "off road only use".
Mike.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Powder coating and refurb about £80 a rim around here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements