What size inverter for a 230w kettle (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know it's been mentioned already but really the starting point should be what can my battery bank support and then work up from there, for the record we have 640ah of Lithium so can support a inverter rated at 3kw continuous, smaller Lithium banks or even more critically lead acid battery banks should be sized accordingly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes Martin, but we don't all run round in a 7 ton battery bank outwardly disguised as a motorhome! :rofl: :rofl:
Actually what we have is quite small compared to a lot of German vans, that could apply equally to the van or the battery bank to be fair but I was meaning battery, now that Super-B have a 340ah in basically the same footprint as our 160's a lot of people will be going for three which is the max so 1020ah (y) I would ;) as most will have compressor fridges now so you need to take that into account.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I think you guessed I was leg pulling Martin. :LOL: I love your van, even if it would never suit us living where we do. You make sure you both enjoy it. Best wishes from us.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think many people have forgotten that basically motorhoming is camping. We have 1500w kettle that doesn't ever get loaded into the van. Always use the gas. That is a flatter kettle so sits on the floor when travelling and you don't have to find somewhere to keep the lead. Horses for courses though.
If I wanted to go camping I would get a tent. I want something portable thats convenient for my lifestyle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Those with compact vans might be surprised how much capacity you could have with a lighter more compact Lithium battery. Also if you're capable of putting together your own cells it doesn't have to be that expensive.
Even power inverters don't have to cost the earth! I fitted a so called 2000watt Chinees one ( cost about £160)) into our last Hymer over 11 years ago and our friends still use it now. If you look on the back of the Dometic it's Made in China.
It makes the motorhome more home from home and you use a lot less gas.
We don't just use it for the Kettle we have a toaster, a small oven & grill from Lidl (cooks better than the LPG one) Hob, hair dryer etc.
So in my opinion well worth having.

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
a compressor fridge is the way to save gas .. 3-way fridges use more than many suspect ..

we've been using the same 6kg bottle for two seasons.. cooking, kettle, .. and heating water for two showers per day .. space heating is a diesel heater

we have no need for any 240v kitchen appliances .. we leave them at home where they belong ..

I have two 90ah FLAs and 200 watt of solar.. never need hook up to run the fridge and other 12v stuff

we have no need for more batter capacity..

no need for an inverter, B2B or Lithium battery..

and that's how it has been for 30+ years .. old skool reliability
My post is for information to others who might not know and were considering trying the new technology. Not to tell people this is what you have to do.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Those with compact vans might be surprised how much capacity you could have with a lighter more compact Lithium battery. Also if you're capable of putting together your own cells it doesn't have to be that expensive.
Even power inverters don't have to cost the earth! I fitted a so called 2000watt Chinees one ( cost about £160)) into our last Hymer over 11 years ago and our friends still use it now. If you look on the back of the Dometic it's Made in China.
It makes the motorhome more home from home and you use a lot less gas.
We don't just use it for the Kettle we have a toaster, a small oven & grill from Lidl (cooks better than the LPG one) Hob, hair dryer etc.
So in my opinion well worth having.
I've seen plenty of speculation that Lithium prices are set to tumble because of the end of the copyright and oversupply.

I have seriously considered building a battery but worry about whether I could configure the BMS correctly.

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I've seen plenty of speculation that Lithium prices are set to tumble because of the end of the copyright and oversupply.

I have seriously considered building a battery but worry about whether I could configure the BMS
There’s some very detailed YouTube videos that make it easy to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fdhadi
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Honestly, thank you all again for suggestions, opinions & recommendations, much appreciated as always.

The question was put to me from a third party and I didn’t know the answer so that’s why I asked here.
I don’t have/ use a very powerful inverter so wouldn’t attempt to boil a kettle with what I do have.

I have passed on the information, thanks again.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
We recently got a 1 litre Livivo cordless kettle from Amazon. It's advertised as 900W, but I measured it's draw at 1080W.
Just had a week in Pembrokeshire using an anker power bank C800 768wH to hold our excess solar generation and used it to power the kettle for all our hot drinks, and preboiling water for cooking pasta/spuds. 2 mugsworth (0.5 litres) boils in 3 minutes. Power bank will do about 20 mugfulls on a charge. Very pleased with the set up. Having the kettle on the dining table also frees up space in our very small 2 ring kitchen.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back