What kind of solar panels on ridged Fiat Ducato roof?.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Hello everyone.

I haven't taken delivery of my new 6 metre Malibu Ducato campervan yet. I've been looking into solar panels. I'm trying to get as much as possible up there. My first theory was two panels running from nearside to offside. Each side of the washroom skylight, which is in the middle of the van. Now I'm thinking, maybe it is better to just have one bigger panel, running from front to rear, just behind the awning.

I went up to the NEC show this week and was speaking to a very knowledgeable person from a well known company about solar panels. He said, because the roof is ridged, this can cause problems fitting panels. Something I'd not considered yet I believe is true.

My questions are,

What have 6m Ducato owners done to fit panels on the ridged roof?.

What panel/panels have you fitted and where on the roof?.

If you could supply any photographs, that would be fantastic. Thank you to everyone who reads and posts.

Best regards,

Clewie.

PXL_20241015_114110646.MP.jpg

PXL_20241015_114107687.jpg

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Not only is the roof ridged but the centre of it longitudinally is slightly higher than the sides. That can affect how you might be positioning any mounting points especially if you are using wider panels that you feel needs restraint in the centre of it's long side yet you were wanting to cover the van width.

My suggestion is to try and size any panels so the mounting points can coincide with the ridges rather than indentations. Once you have the van you can get the tape measure out and then look for panels that will be best fit.

Think where hole will be for the aperture for cables to pass into van. Ideally again on a ridge rather than indent. Where are cables running to controller internally above ceiling and behind panels may not be that easy to get to? The cable gland fitting is also a challenge as some of the two cable plastic types are wider than the ridge. Have a look at some of the scanstrut fittings available on 12vplanet that work nice. Oh and if drilling try and miss the strengthening van's frame ribs under the roof shell.

Many threads on here regarding the actual mountings and how to stick down. Metal can be more reliable than plastic for adhesion but preparation is key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Not only is the roof ridged but the centre of it longitudinally is slightly higher than the sides. That can affect how you might be positioning any mounting points especially if you are using wider panels that you feel needs restraint in the centre of it's long side yet you were wanting to cover the van width.

My suggestion is to try and size any panels so the mounting points can coincide with the ridges rather than indentations. Once you have the van you can get the tape measure out and then look for panels that will be best fit.

Think where hole will be for the aperture for cables to pass into van. Ideally again on a ridge rather than indent. Where are cables running to controller internally above ceiling and behind panels may not be that easy to get to? The cable gland fitting is also a challenge as some of the two cable plastic types are wider than the ridge. Have a look at some of the scanstrut fittings available on 12vplanet that work nice. Oh and if drilling try and miss the strengthening van's frame ribs under the roof shell.

Many threads on here regarding the actual mountings and how to stick down. Metal can be more reliable than plastic for adhesion but preparation is key.
Looking at TerryReis post. It looks like a good idea to attach two roof rails to the outside ridges which would solve the potential problem of the slightly higher middle of the roof. Then it looks like the panels are screwed onto the rails with four aluminium brackets.

They look like the 220cm Thule ProBar Evo. The panels also look like they can slide front and back to a suitable position, then tightened into place.

Regarding the cable from the roof. I have the "wiring for solar" optional extra. Hopefully this will be worth the £215 and solve a problem.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back