What is your Emergency Motorhome meal? (47 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I thought, like most people, there is always some veg in the fridge. Based on the posts, it seems most are tinned food aficionados! 🤷‍♂️

Mrs Carpmart knocks up a veg soup with what ever veg/salad items we have, with onions (always knocking about too) maybe that old spud that you have to pluck the shoots off all lobbed in the pan with some veg stock.

If we are really hungry, she has some of the micro pasta or couscous that gets dropped in at the end. 🤤
would do at home, but have cans in the van.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Passata is better than Puree, but each to his own? 😄
Well it's not puree as such it's just basically tomatos and nothing else in cartons or bottles. I've about 8 cartons and 4 bottles currently 😁🤣

Just add onions, garlic. Or tuna or whitever.
17193245525336107503903885850969.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Block of cheese , always have one of them, crisps, beer and or wine

I am sure we are not alone with that fall back option , just first to admit it 😁

Oh and olives there is always an out of date tin somewhere 🤔😁👍
Not the olives 🥴, the rest sounds perfectly fine!

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Ah, you've just reminded me - have you tried Idahoan instant potato?

I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit snooty about "packet stuff" but this is ridiculously yummy, particularly in a van with the windows steaming up as it piddles down outside :giggle:

Thank you Hedgewitch for mentioning this.

Thought we would give this shot. Absolutely yummy and quick to make. Really fluffy, with no lumps or dry powder we have experienced with some packet mash. Would not wish to eat everyday, but really convenient to use in the MoHo. Highly recommended. (y) (y) (y)

Cheapest I have found so far….. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Idahoan-Buttery-Potato-Mash-Pack/dp/B071WLPG5G/?tag=mhf04-21

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thank you Hedgewitch for mentioning this.

Thought we would give this shot. Absolutely yummy and quick to make. Really fluffy, with no lumps or dry powder we have experienced with some packet mash. Would not wish to eat everyday, but really convenient to use in the MoHo. Highly recommended. (y) (y) (y)

Cheapest I have found so far….. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Idahoan-Buttery-Potato-Mash-Pack/dp/B071WLPG5G/?tag=mhf04-21
Farmfoods do it for £1 a packet sometimes on special offer

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have been using the Idahoan mash for a couple of years after someone recommended it on here and buy it in bulk off Amazon.

It’s certainly the best instant mash I have tried and, if you don’t use the packet in one go, it freezes well in portions.

Add a bit of cheese, ham and a couple of tomatoes and heat it up in a frying pan until the cheese goes crusty. Yum!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I have been using the Idahoan mash for a couple of years after someone recommended it on here and buy it in bulk off Amazon.
It’s certainly the best instant mash I have tried and, if you don’t use the packet in one go, it freezes well in portions.
Add a bit of cheese, ham and a couple of tomatoes and heat it up in a frying pan until the cheese goes crusty. Yum!

Another 👍 for buying in bulk from Amazon.

At this rate we'll need a thread just for Idahoan mash recipes 😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That's interesting, are you going to mix flour with it? 🤔

I've never had anything to do with it, so am looking forward to your report! 😄
Yes, it’s just mashed potato, egg and flour. Great for in the van as it can be heated up in the pan with pasta-type sauce.

The long-life gnocchi from Aldi is quite good but expensive for what it is.

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That's interesting, are you going to mix flour with it? 🤔

I've never had anything to do with it, so am looking forward to your report! 😄

I finally got round to making gnocchi from the Idahoan Instant Mash!

Made the mash to a fairly stiff consistency then added as much flour as it would hold.

Formed the mix into rolls about an inch in diameter, cut it into inch pieces and pressed a fork into it.

I then just fried it in olive oil and butter until it was golden and slightly crispy. Absolutely the best gnocchi I have ever tasted!

I froze the rest of it for future use 👍

1727631427293.png

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner 620G 30
Exp
since 2015
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.
A tin of cassoulet or another one you can buy in French supermarkets is sausages with lentils. They tend to have a long shelf life but we eat them before they get too old and then restock the next time we go away.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe

Thanks.
the number of the emergency uber eats line

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back