Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
I have a Swift Rio. I have always taken delight in the fact that there are three parts to a Rio - cab, tailgate, and the middle bit, and they are held together with sticky tape. Whilst cleaning the roof last week,I noticed that an edge of the tape is lifting. First step towards water ingress. So I'd like to tape down the edge of the tape with fresh tape before it gets worse. Eventually my entire vehicle may be wrapped in tape!!!! This is a kind of plastic tape. Can anyone tell me what it is called?

20240817_114941.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have never seen a joint taped like that from new, are you the first owner?

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
There's a similar type of tape used for keel bands on yachts, whre the keel joins the hull. I don't know what it's called, sorry. Like Minxy I haven't seen it used to waterproof MH joints though...

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Similar to this RV tape, I keep a roll for unforeseen emergencies; very sticky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Our new 2016 Swift caravan had the same stuff on the roof it was flimsy thin stuff that didnt look like it would stay stuck very long, curling at the edges in places and it was new!. I hope it wasnt the main seal to stop water ingress, and that it was Swifts way of tidying up the butt joint beneath it.
I believe it can be purchased at caravan spares places, so a phone call or two may be required, but I think I would have liked something more permanent like a thin flexible UPVC moulding strip available at most UPVC cladding/window suppliers.
Stick it down with Sikaflex or similar and it should be a much better job IMHO.
LES

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you can get hold of it and afford it this is reckoned to be the best 🙂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
I'm the second owner. It's a 2015 build. Clearly the joint isn't just sealed with the tape. There is a bonding underneath which you can feel through the tape. However, once water gets under the tape ..... The problem is that this goes across the width of the van and the entire roof drains to the front when the van is stationary. So a low profile is essential but a lot of water flows across this joint!!! I can't just sikaflex it and create a bump because that will act like a mini dam creating a pond on the roof!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
EternaBond - wow! £2 /foot! And a third of a roll would do both my seams!. Anyone wanna share a roll???!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
The thing is it’s not the cost of the product, it’s the cost if you don’t do it and get water ingress.

As some American geezer said
Buy cheap buy twice 😉😊
Oh yes. That's why I'm asking the question. Leaky roof!!! No thank you.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I've had a 2013 swift challenger caravan and now a 2021 swift kon tiki sport and both have had this type of tape on running from one side to the other on the rear joint. Basically I was told this is put over the sealed seem where the rear panal is fitted. I did notice on the caravan it had lifted slightly but never had any ingress issues when I had it serviced every year.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Thank you all for your comments. I am currently touring in Northern Spain but it is top of my list of things to attend to on my return

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Thank you all for your comments. I am currently touring in Northern Spain but it is top of my list of things to attend to on my return
When I used it, I cut it to length then peeled a short part off where I started and peeled the backing of bit a time while using a wallpaper seam roller to press it home. I hope to God I never need to get it off as it sticks like shit to a blanket.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back