Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
20240905_173957.jpg

Fiat Ducato 2023 - passenger seat vehicle battery compartment. Top of the picture.

It's a push-fit. Is it the earth strap? I wouldn't have thought a push-fit would suffice?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Main earth strap.
Once in place it WILL be a tight fit.
Puzzle is.... As its not connected there appears to be no earth from the battery.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Think there is a separate conversation about these, and how the failing earth causes all sorts of issues, so best to fit a second strap?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's a chassis earth direct to the battery and it's quite a lose fit when it's on you can rotate it easily.
The main negative connections go back to the shunt (black box connected to earth terminal) .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
GoldenVision
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the info.

I had disconnected it just for the photo, but was concerned that it could easily rotate when firmly connected, but it seems that that's ok.

I asked the question because the B2B isn't charging, and the first port of call always seems to be to check the earth connection.

So it must be something else.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi David
I think you had B2B problems earlier in the year, what was it and did Phil sort it out for you?

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I am confused, as there seems to be another battery terminal near to it with a big red wire attached to it.

Red is normally positive (+12v)

Another picture including the other end of the battery (and from a different angle) might help.

I agree braided strap is almost universally an earth strap and it appear to be bolted to the chasis.

OP
OP
GoldenVision
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Hi David
I think you had B2B problems earlier in the year, what was it and did Phil sort it out for you?

Ongoing! The B2B unit he installed eventually failed (after Fiat had identified a problem with the earth strap) and he has recently replaced it with a Victron 50amp unit. But it ain't working, and I'm suspecting either the smart alternator or the vehicle battery - but first I thought I'd check the earth, as it seems to be a common Ducato problem.

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Earth faults on a Fiat can certainly be a problem (from first hand experience).

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Ongoing! The B2B unit he installed eventually failed (after Fiat had identified a problem with the earth strap) and he has recently replaced it with a Victron 50amp unit. But it ain't working, and I'm suspecting either the smart alternator or the vehicle battery - but first I thought I'd check the earth, as it seems to be a common Ducato problem.
Shouldn't Phil be sorting it out if he installed it?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am confused, as there seems to be another battery terminal near to it with a big red wire attached to it.

Red is normally positive (+12v)

Another picture including the other end of the battery (and from a different angle) might help.

I agree braided strap is almost universally an earth strap and it appear to be bolted to the chasis.
My take is that then red one is the +ve and is trailing over the -ve but I would want to move it so it can't rub through on the -ve terminal as that would not be good.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My take is that then red one is the +ve and is trailing over the -ve but I would want to move it so it can't rub through on the -ve terminal as that would not be good.

I agree, that’s a disaster waiting to happen. If it’s not possible to move the positive leads, a shroud placed over the negative post would be a big improvement.

Ian

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
He did, but it now appears to be a Fiat problem - Smart alternator or battery.
If the engine is starting and there are no warning lights or messages on the dash I would still be looking at the leisure battery system.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Maybe I shouldn't comment here a I am not a Ducato owner. However just to point out a couple of basics.
The item attached to the - ve pole of the battery is the battery monitoring module which supplies the smart alternator with its information to charge the battery to the correct level. There should NEVER be any other connection to the battery side of that item.
It's my assumption that the braided cable is the main - ve from the engine battery to ether chassis or main engine/transmission point.
Someone correctly pointed out that the red cable should either be moved or protected from the possibility of chafing against the - ve battery pole. It's a serious fire risk as it is!
Sorry to poke my nose in, I hope my comments help someone.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I agree, that’s a disaster waiting to happen. If it’s not possible to move the positive leads, a shroud placed over the negative post would be a big improvement.

Ian
I'd put sonething between them too, but is it different to the positive cable running over any metal part of the chassis?

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
He did, but it now appears to be a Fiat problem - Smart alternator or battery.
David
I'm sure some of the guys here will be able to help you, but it might be worth starting a new thread with a title describing the problem and detailling exactly what you have installed and the problems/symptoms. Was the positive cable part of the lithium mods, as my 2023 Globecar Summit starter battery looks like this?

20240907_105712.jpg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'd put sonething between them too, but is it different to the positive cable running over any metal part of the chassis?

It’s the fact that it’s curving around an edge. Any bend going over an edge is a potential Wear Point. Resting on a flat metal surface isn’t a problem.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back