We've got loads of Data allowance...but sometimes...🤔 (15 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I been reading up on here...on Facebook and watched a few YouTube videos.
Our Data allowance is good....and generally here in Spain we rarely lack a good signal, but....there are times that we haven't got a good enough or even none at all...
Internet for us is fairly essential...planning bike routes, places to stay etc...and entertainment...TV (Footie) posting on here and Facebook...
I'm considering, and therefore asking, What's the latest external Aerial and Router solutions that would help us stay in contact with the outside world..
Just to add.... I've got a spare hole in the MH roof...actually it was where the TV Aerial used to be...the pole is still there.... advantage Me..
I await a bombardment of replies..🤭😃😃🇪🇺

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
jumar. I too installed the Poynting 4g/5g 3-V12 antenna Martin, which until recent was connected to a ZTE MiFi. It is now connected to a house redundant TP Link Archer MR6400 router, which I power from a 12v USB socket.
Since installing the Poynting antenna, we have never failed to stream UK TV via the Firestick, but I have altered the settings for such, to reduce data usage where possible. ITV X is a bu@@er for sapping up the data, with no option to reduce it. :(

Good luck finding what's right for your needs. 👍

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes, YouTube (and Netflix and others) will automatically adjust both the video quality and the bitrate depending on the screen size and the quality of the internet connection.

If you want to save data you can manually change this in the YouTube app settings which has a data saving mode, or by clicking the cogwheel on a YouTube video and selecting a lower 'quality' from there if viewing on a laptop etc.
Understand that. But does bigger screen use more data.

For example, phone use is 1 data, tablet would be 1.2 data, 24”tv 2.2 data, 40”tv 5 data, all to show the same thing.

Bigger the display the more data needed to fill it??

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Kinda...

The 'auto' setting will adjust based on the screen. There's no point putting out 1080p to a tiny 2" screen so it will just dial it down to the max that the screen can display.

A 144p resolution on a 62" screen will work, but it will look terrible! Technically it's the same amount of data as your 2" screen so it's not 'needed' from a technical point of view, but it's very much advisable from a human point of view!

That's being pedantic and taking it to ridiculous extremes - you are fundamentally correct.

The smaller the screen, the fewer the pixels therefore the less data required in order for the quality to look good.

Found a decent review here which gives you an idea of how much that can vary.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
now days you really need to use a data sim.
I don' really know if they do standalone data sims here as jumar is in spain?

I have used both yoigo unlimited phone sim in our router,TP-link MR6400, & Digi the same .both have worked perfectly everywhere, even the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That used to be the case years ago but there's legislation that prevents carriers from making this sort of distinction now.
They can't stop you using a phone sim in a Mifi but that doesn't apply to routers but they can still restrict the speed.

Last year I was getting between 35 to 95mb/s in my phone, same sim in either my router or my Mifi I was only getting 5 to 12mb/s.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Understand that. But does bigger screen use more data.

For example, phone use is 1 data, tablet would be 1.2 data, 24”tv 2.2 data, 40”tv 5 data, all to show the same thing.

Bigger the display the more data needed to fill it??
I'm in the middle of an experiment to try and quantify this issue. This year I replaced our Avtex TV with a 24" Cello and was a bit alarmed to discover on our current trip to France it was eating data watching iPlayer at a bit over 3Gb an hour. I have 200Gb on my EE contract and it was virtually used up after 2 weeks! We never had this problem with the Avtex.

I'm now watching the Saturday morning cooking programs on my MS Surface tablet and it seems to have gone through 5Gb in 3 hours, which is better.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
We’re also in Spain and I use this router the Spitz GLi 3000 which is dual sim for when we go outside of Spain (we buy a local SIM card) otherwise we use a lobster sim, and never struggle to get a decent signal or decent speeds.

And for aerial we are using this Teltonika 5G external aerial, since putting this on the roof my speeds have increased by over 40%, which gives us all we need

Did consider starlink, but couldn’t justify the ongoing monthly costs

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm going to hazard a guess that the Avtex was a 'dumb' TV and the new Cello is a 'smart' TV?
Smart but a bit slow. I appreciate it will update the apps from time to time which will use a bit of data. There's a setting to pause that which I might turn off.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Really interesting specs on that Spitz router MartinandBev - I'd never heard of them before but that looks like a lot of router for the money.

Sounds like you've been happy with it? A proper external antenna does make a huge amount of difference.
I had never heard of it, but saw a couple of reviews and found a discount code and so gave it bash, iv been very impressed with it……. Speeds were good off the internal aerials but with the external aerials it’s a whole new ball game

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Here in Spain RUTX14 sells at just less than 300€. So far with extensive searching and valuable advice on here, I've narrowed my choice down to this model...Have I made the right choice...?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Pretty good spec for the money & cheaper than in the UK.
Yes Lenny....and that's an offer on Amazon.es
They aren't normally the cheapest...might grab this and have it sent to my neighbours apartment...

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Only thing I can see about the rutx14 if that its not 5G. Still well specced though. I don't think this will be an issue as 5G is useless anywhere I have been but if you want to future proof it

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
The smaller the screen, the fewer the pixels therefore the less data required in order for the quality to look good.

Found a decent review here which gives you an idea of how much that can vary.

That is not necessarily true. Many physically small screens on phones these days have very high resolution, i.e. more total pixels than a full HD TV. A full HD TV has about 2 megapixels, and a 4k TV has about 8. Many phone screens exceed full HD in terms of pixel count. My phone goes up to QHD+ which is 3200 x 1440 pixels. I run it in FHD+ mode which is 2400 x 1080 to reduce battery usage, but this is still more than a full HD TV which runs at 1920 x 1080.

Fortunately many phones allow you to select lower resolution settings and as already mentioned you can further restrict data use by setting lower resolution in apps such as YouTube. In this case your phone will generally adapt the incoming signal to still fill most of your phone screen, depending on aspect ratio.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Only thing I can see about the rutx14 if that its not 5G. Still well specced though. I don't think this will be an issue as 5G is useless anywhere I have been but if you want to future proof it
Hi Zac...exactly...but we do not think we will be searching for 5G signals in the areas we intend using it....
I've just put an Amazon order in for it, and it will be delivered to my neighbour....bless her...she is my Vice President, so ....🤔,
Have a good Sunday...

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Last year I was getting between 35 to 95mb/s in my phone, same sim in either my router or my Mifi I was only getting 5 to 12mb/s.
Have you checked to see what the CAT rating is of the devices you are comparing? your phone likely has a higher CAT rating then the other devices so can stream more data, the link may help you understand what I'm on about..

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Here in Spain RUTX14 sells at just less than 300€. So far with extensive searching and valuable advice on here, I've narrowed my choice down to this model...Have I made the right choice...?
I very nearly bought the RUTX14 and in hindsight probably should have.

I think it's a very good choice personally.

One of the things that might be worth mentioning is that it will come with a power lead that connects to mains electricity. If you want to power it from 12v in the van then you can either cut the end of the cable off and use that, or you can buy a separate cable for not a huge amount of money. There are genuine and aftermarket ones on eBay.

Black wire is neutral, red wire is live. Green and white wires are input/output and you can simply ignore them. They're for things like additional sensors.

Have you chosen an antenna to go with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have you checked to see what the CAT rating is of the devices you are comparing? your phone likely has a higher CAT rating then the other devices so can stream more data, the link may help you understand what I'm on about..

Both my router & mif are only CAT4 but I've never seen differences like that before.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Both my router & mif are only CAT4 but I've never seen differences like that before.
I expect your phone can aggregate different bands, the performance it can achieve will depend on how many different bands are available at any specific location for it to aggregate, the CAT 4 devices can't aggregate different bands so are limited to whichever band it is receiving.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I very nearly bought the RUTX14 and in hindsight probably should have.

I think it's a very good choice personally.

One of the things that might be worth mentioning is that it will come with a power lead that connects to mains electricity. If you want to power it from 12v in the van then you can either cut the end of the cable off and use that, or you can buy a separate cable for not a huge amount of money. There are genuine and aftermarket ones on eBay.

Black wire is neutral, red wire is live. Green and white wires are input/output and you can simply ignore them. They're for things like additional sensors.

Have you chosen an antenna to go with it?
Well you are certainly one, no. two steps ahead of me....my next question was going to be....What's the most suitable Aerial 😃👍
And...whats the four cables for or, is it better to buy the aftermarket one....or just chop the ends off...
When ordering from Amazon, they always second guess what you need next...but you've beaten them to it...Well done...
So "What is a suitable Aerial" I fancy the Poynting.....because I've already got a hole in my roof to accept it....my Hymer is Aluminium...so the magnetic option isn't going to work..

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well you are certainly one, no. two steps ahead of me....my next question was going to be....What's the most suitable Aerial 😃👍
And...whats the four cables for or, is it better to buy the aftermarket one....or just chop the ends off...
When ordering from Amazon, they always second guess what you need next...but you've beaten them to it...Well done...
So "What is a suitable Aerial" I fancy the Poynting.....because I've already got a hole in my roof to accept it....my Hymer is Aluminium...so the magnetic option isn't going to work..
With the 4 cable ones 2 of the cables are for the WiFi aerial, you don't need that for your use.
Poynting are good and they respond quickly to quieries.
The MIMO 3-V2-12 would be a good choice for you.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
my Hymer is Aluminium...so the magnetic option isn't going to work..
Martin, as well as through the roof brackets, mine came with a large 3M sticky foam gasket plate, so once I prepared and cleaned the exact spot on the roof the with spirits, I stuck it down. Once firmly in place, I then ran a bead of Sikaflex/Puraflex 40 round the edge of the base to prevent any water ingress to the gasket.

I then ran the cables along a conduit, and entered the MH via a rooflight frame. I hate drilling holes anywhere in the MH. :(

HTH,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
With the 4 cable ones 2 of the cables are for the WiFi aerial, you don't need that for your use.
Poynting are good and they respond quickly to quieries.
The MIMO 3-V2-12 would be a good choice for you.
162.68€ plus 9.95€ postage....from Germany..🥳

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin, as well as through the roof brackets, mine came with a large 3M sticky foam gasket plate, so once I prepared and cleaned the exact spot on the roof the with spirits, I stuck it down. Once firmly in place, I then ran a bead of Sikaflex/Puraflex 40 round the edge of the base to prevent any water ingress to the gasketnduit, and entered the MH via a rooflight frame. I hate drilling holes anywhere in the MH. :(

HTH,

Thanks Jock....that sounds like what I can do...but as for hole drilling...cannot wait to get at it...just love holes.... actually I've a redundant Maxview TV Aerial...that's coming out and the Aerial will be mounted in its place
So no drilling this time...🥴👍🥳

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
actually I've a redundant Maxview TV Aerial...that's coming out and the Aerial will be mounted in its place
That would be my choice too, if it had been available at the time. That'll mean your MiFi/Router will be in the cupboard/wardrobe underneath, and only a short distance from the antenna cable wise. (y)

Good luck with the install, and subsequent testing. (y) Will you be speed testing with the phones first, before popping the sim card in the router to test, ie, gaining a comparison of results?

Cheers,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That would be my choice too, if it had been available at the time. That'll mean your MiFi/Router will be in the cupboard/wardrobe underneath, and only a short distance from the antenna cable wise. (y)

Good luck with the install, and subsequent testing. (y) Will you be speed testing with the phones first, before popping the sim card in the router to test, ie, gaining a comparison of results?

Cheers,

Yes Jock...in the wardrobe next to my suits and Judith's party dresses...🤔 (Cycling tops and Lycra shorts...and our Cagooooools)...
There is an existing 12v supply also...isn't this being made so easy for me....what would possibly go wrong...
Our intention is to use a router when our phones are providing little signal...🥳

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back