We've got loads of Data allowance...but sometimes...🤔 (29 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I been reading up on here...on Facebook and watched a few YouTube videos.
Our Data allowance is good....and generally here in Spain we rarely lack a good signal, but....there are times that we haven't got a good enough or even none at all...
Internet for us is fairly essential...planning bike routes, places to stay etc...and entertainment...TV (Footie) posting on here and Facebook...
I'm considering, and therefore asking, What's the latest external Aerial and Router solutions that would help us stay in contact with the outside world..
Just to add.... I've got a spare hole in the MH roof...actually it was where the TV Aerial used to be...the pole is still there.... advantage Me..
I await a bombardment of replies..🤭😃😃🇪🇺

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We are very pleased with the aerial we got from MotorhomeWIFI with our HUAWEI. It’s like a puck with a couple of aerial wires that come down through the roof inside a pipe screwed into the puck and then a plate screws on from the inside onto the pipe to seal it all inside and outside on the roof.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I use a Teltonika router (RUTX50 - but others might suit you better) with a Poynting MiMo puck antenna and have been very happy with it. The two companies have started working together so the compatibility between them is excellent.

Teltonika have a great online community and there's a huge amount of stuff you can do with it but if you just want a basic connection with maybe also a guest network it's really straight forward and there are plenty of 'walk through' videos on YouTube.

Starlink is the other option I'm still considering, but the monthly costs are quite steep. If I do go for it then I'd still keep the Teltonika as the router and have the SIM option as a failover.

Starlink will get reception in places where you won't get signal on a SIM, which is really the main reason I'm still considering it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well, I did look at starlink ...because we both have phone data, and need this sort of connections when cycle touring or tracking each other when solo riding...I thought it wasn't for us....also in our apartment we have unlimited data as part of our community fees..but we aren't home much..
So making phone data more efficient is what we are looking for...👍🏿😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
As good as Starlink is, it really is very good, it’s had some recent restrictions applied and no longer works as easily across Europe. It’s now single country with up to two months out of that country.

I am preparing to do the Starlink shuffle soon, well as soon as I can source a gen 2 Starlink in Espania. I will then ‘get around’ the issue with having one Starlink in use at a time so I can get up to four months in one of my countries outside of UK and Spain. I’m actually considering having one Spanish Starlink and one French one, which will give me lower tariffs too!

Crazy thing is Starlink will end up with over €750 less per annum from me as a customer based on their stupid policy. HeyHo, their loss!!! 🤪

Edit: hadn’t read your post jumar when posting this! 😇

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
We find even with a good signal internet speed is often slow or unusable, particularly in holiday areas in season,we have Huawei routers and pointing outdoor airels in the van and at home ,have tried EE,Vodaphone and 3,varies area to area on speed even with a good signal,a high cat router may help but they are not cheap,sure someone will be along with more detailed knowledge of router to get

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We find even with a good signal internet speed is often slow or unusable, particularly in holiday areas in season,we have Huawei routers and pointing outdoor airels in the van and at home ,have tried EE,Vodaphone and 3,varies area to area on speed even with a good signal,a high cat router may help but they are not cheap,sure someone will be along with more detailed knowledge of router to get

Are you using data specific SIMs or just phone tariff SIMs and hoping for the best? It is most likely the priority assigned to you by the network you’re an IN roamer on!

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have the kit from Motorhome WiFi. And can’t fault it for use when away. When away we also have the ability to change which network we are using. And I assume if you are using a Spanish sim in your phone and have data available then you can just put that sim into the router. Or ask provider to do a deal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have the kit from Motorhome WiFi. And can’t fault it for use when away. When away we also have the ability to change which network we are using. And I assume if you are using a Spanish sim in your phone and have data available then you can just put that sim into the router. Or ask provider to do a deal.
Yes we both have Spanish Data allowance SIM cards....about 350gb per month....with different providers...the coverage is in general very good....but we like to put ourselves in remote locations for riding etc...

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It’s now single country with up to two months out of that country.
AFAIK, jumar spends the vast majority of their time in Spain.

Does Starlink support WiFi calling?
Does change the economics if you get free WiFi at home, even with the lower Spanish subscription.
And I can't really see Martin riding around with a mini dish strapped to his back pack... :cool:

When it arrives, the new satellite to mobile might be what you need?

I wonder if the communication industry are having a reset - Starlink with its price hike & restrictions and also the mobile companies with their limits on roaming

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have just added a new aerial to our van Martin and Judith .

Well, by ‘we’ I mean Chris . It’s a Poynting MIMO 003 V2 15 antenna.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Poynting antenna we have is now obsolete and has been superceded by several different models. Some have features such as GPS and WiFi I don't think you will need. However, our still works well and I remember I even managed to get a weak signal at El Torcal de Antequera when my phone showed no signal at all.

It might be worth contacting an ES dealer and after explaining what you are aiming for see what they recommend. My guess would be the Mimo-3-15 which is probably going to be around €200 or a bit less. You don't need a router, it will work fine with a mifi which takes two external antenna connections if you already have one. I could detect no difference in performance between my original mifi and the Teltonika router which replaced it. The only reason for changing was I was running the mifi permanently connected to a charger and I'd heard about batteries swelling. The router is built for permanent installation. If you want the best performance I would avoid the Puck designs if for no other reason than they seem to come with very long leads which introduce losses. Ideally your router or mifi should be as close to the antenna as possible.

This page might help:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have just added a new aerial to our van Martin and Judith .

Well, by ‘we’ I mean Chris . It’s a Poynting MIMO 003 V2 15 antenna.
Thanks Cal....I assume this connects to a router of some description...what one did you (Chris) choose?

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
It’s connected to a teltonika rut 950. I think this is outdated now though and there are better versions available

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The Poynting antenna we have is now obsolete and has been superceded by several different models. Some have features such as GPS and WiFi I don't think you will need. However, our still works well and I remember I even managed to get a weak signal at El Torcal de Antequera when my phone showed no signal at all.

It might be worth contacting an ES dealer and after explaining what you are aiming for see what they recommend. My guess would be the Mimo-3-15 which is probably going to be around €200 or a bit less. You don't need a router, it will work fine with a mifi which takes two external antenna connections if you already have one. I could detect no difference in performance between my original mifi and the Teltonika router which replaced it. The only reason for changing was I was running the mifi permanently connected to a charger and I'd heard about batteries swelling. The router is built for permanent installation. If you want the best performance I would avoid the Puck designs if for no other reason than they seem to come with very long leads which introduce losses. Ideally your router or mifi should be as close to the antenna as possible.

This page might help:

Great...something to think about, as we wouldn't require this type of set up permanently, only on the odd occasion when our phones do not function too well..

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The one i just replaced our panorama antenna with is a Poynting 7in1 Which includes 5G/Wifi/GPS as i also purchased the RUTX50 which has the connections for it as well, if not looking for all the connections and just the normal 4G/5G then my advice is the panorama antenna as that's always worked for us, purchased ours from co-star Here if just 2 x mimo but if you want the 7in1 from panorama then its this one Here which is the 4x4 MIMO and then 2 x Wi-Fi and 1 x GPS, but you need a router that will take them all to make use of it fully.

The Poynting one i went for was this one Here for my new RUTX50 router, did some research on this one, and it came out really well in urban area's from the testing which is where most of us will spend our time when travelling.

I never went without signal with just the standard 2 x MIMO Panorama antenna posted above, but there are certainly better one's now available.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have used Vodafone and IQ data sims in my HUAWEI and both have been OK. My iPhone is a business phone with 3. Abroad it is absolutely CRAP! I can virtually guarantee that I can’t get mobile data when I need it out and about. It is getting ditched! My wife has a Tesco contract and I can guarantee that she will get a signal and mobile data when I can’t and she can also get it on the odd occasion I do get data. Usually when I left it on in frustration yesterday and I get the text the next day to charge me when I don’t need it! Mobile contracts can be very frustrating! Also like buying sims abroad for data but not for the phone or your number changes

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have the Teltonika RUTX50 and Poynting antenna referenced above by zac and others. Not been without usable browsing/streaming connection since installation earlier this year, including when at high attendance events. So far, so good…

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My iPhone is a business phone with 3. Abroad it is absolutely CRAP! I can virtually guarantee that I can’t get mobile data when I need it out and about
Interesting, I found 3 a PIA roaming a bout 3 years ago always having to search for for different networks and often wouldn't let you connect to them.
Currently have an ID mobile which uses the 3 network and it's been brillant when roaming. I do wonder if ID have diffent partners abroad, out performs the boss's 02 most of the time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back