LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We finally got away in the MH after numerous faults and stresses and I was really enjoying it........until 3.30am. It had been raining slightly earlier, with a couple of rumbles of thunder, but nothing of any significance. Then, at 3.30am, I was suddenly woken by the sound of dripping water!!! It was so loud and 'sharp' I thought it must have been the tap dripping in the sink. No, it wasn't that. I finally traced the sound coming from the door. After a good inspection, I discovered that it was now raining very fine and must have been doing so for a while because now the rain was leaking in through the roof somewhere, through the cupboard above the door (where our Control Panel is, out through the bottom of the cupboard and ripping onto the metal surround of the fly screen. Then running down the fly screen onto the floor in the footwell and, presumably, out of the floor vents. My heart just sank. I couldn't believe it. We've already spent a fortune having the roof completely resealed by a dealer and here we are with it leaking again!!! Why do all these things keep happening? I can't even go away for 3 days without some disaster!!!!

To top it all, it was only supposed to rain for an hour or so yesterday but ended up raining for most of the night.....and we're parked on grass......miles away from the entrance!!! We're supposed to be leaving tomorrow but it could well rain by then, so we're looking at leaving today. It's supposed to be sunny and 24 degrees today, so I think we're going to wait until this afternoon when, hopefully, the ground will have dried a little and we can get out. We're up on ramps on one side, though, and they've alrdeady sunk it a little, so when we back off them and remove them we'll have a dip in the ground in front of the wheels to get past first. God knows what we can do if we get stuck! I'm so fed up, honestly. I keep trying and trying with the MH but there's always something wrong.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it’s demoralising when things go wrong with your Motorhome.

Where did you get it resealed can you take it back there for them to look, or another place.
Did you check the sealing which they did?

Can you somehow get a ladder etc to check the roof above the door to see if there’s anything amiss above where it’s coming in?

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Yes it’s demoralising when things go wrong with your Motorhome.

Where did you get it resealed can you take it back there for them to look, or another place.
Did you check the sealing which they did?

Can you somehow get a ladder etc to check the roof above the door to see if there’s anything amiss above where it’s coming in?

Yes, we can take it back to them but we probably can't get it booked in for ages. We didn't physically check the sealant but it's covered by their insurance. Plus, we're going away in a few days so it's now going to be sat outside in whatever weather comes our way. It could be a real mess by the time we get home again and we have nowehere else to keep it.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, we can take it back to them but we probably can't get it booked in for ages. We didn't physically check the sealant but it's covered by their insurance. Plus, we're going away in a few days so it's now going to be sat outside in whatever weather comes our way. It could be a real mess by the time we get home again and we have nowehere else to keep it.
Feel for you especially when you have spent a lot of time and money getting it resealed, hope you can get it sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have found damp in my roof this holiday up behind the drop down bed we dont use much so out of the way of eye contact.
Booked in for evaluation on the way home if i manage to drive. Poored down today so its in your mind all the time but I suppose the damage is already done.
Got same problem at home , velux window need replacement and Nextdoor’s chimney is leaking on my side so more work for our friendly roofer ME haha cant wait.
Keep you chin up i was devastated when i found the damp but its all reparable

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I have found damp in my roof this holiday up behind the drop down bed we dont use much so out of the way of eye contact.
Booked in for evaluation on the way home if i manage to drive. Poored down today so its in your mind all the time but I suppose the damage is already done.
Got same problem at home , velux window need replacement and Nextdoor’s chimney is leaking on my side so more work for our friendly roofer ME haha cant wait.
Keep you chin up i was devastated when i found the damp but its all reparable

I don't mind having things now and then to deal with but I seem to have things all the time. Some major, some middling, some nothing on their own....but they all add up. On top of that, I'm supposed to be keeping my stress as low as possible for my health. It seems an impossible task.

One of our Velux windows at home has leaked in the past. I hate Velux windows. And when you want to open them, they tip all the muck inside!! :rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't mind having things now and then to deal with but I seem to have things all the time. Some major, some middling, some nothing on their own....but they all add up.
I was thinking the same as from my memory of your many past posts you seem to have had trouble from virtually everything to do with your m/home including flat batteries and dodgy taps. On the bright side there can't be much more to go wrong. (y)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I was thinking the same as from my memory of your many past posts you seem to have had trouble from virtually everything to do with your m/home including flat batteries and dodgy taps. On the bright side there can't be much more to go wrong. (y)

Well, that's one way to look at it! :) The problem is compounded though, due to my constant heightened anxiety and hypervigilence. The list of MH issues is long enough, too, without adding other things into the mix. It's driving me nuts!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Well, that's one way to look at it! :) The problem is compounded though, due to my constant heightened anxiety and hypervigilence. The list of MH issues is long enough, too, without adding other things into the mix. It's driving me nuts!
Ask the company who did the reselling when they can do it.

If will be too far in the future apply Gorilla Tape or similar along the roof/wall join to protect it in the meantime.

Good luck.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Your motorhome seems to be plagued with problems,something every time you use it.

Maybe it's time to move it on especially if it is causing you stress.

I really don't want to sell it. We won't get another with the same layout and in the same condition. It's done very little mileage and the interior is almost as new. I just wish all these things would stop.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Ask the company who did the reselling when they can do it.

If will be too far in the future apply Gorilla Tape or similar along the roof/wall join to protect it in the meantime.

Good luck.

We didn't buy it from a dealer but we had a dealer reseal the roof. They don't open on Mondays, so it'll be Tuesday before we can get to see them. Then we're away for 3 weeks. Hopefully, they can get it in when we get back. Thanks for the tip about taping the joins. Once we're home, we'll have a look at the roof and see if we can see where they problem is.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We didn't buy it from a dealer but we had a dealer reseal the roof. They don't open on Mondays, so it'll be Tuesday before we can get to see them. Then we're away for 3 weeks. Hopefully, they can get it in when we get back. Thanks for the tip about taping the joins. Once we're home, we'll have a look at the roof and see if we can see where they problem is.
Spoken from experience, (don’t ask)!

OK!

After an unfortunate experience with a height barrier Gorilla Tape saved the day until a repair nine weeks later. During that time we also drove 2,200 miles.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Did you get off the field OK?

Yes, we did, thank you :) Well, we got of the spot we were on and moved to a spot nearer the entrance and stayed for another night as planned, rather than cut our break short. In the end, we had a really good time and came home happy......but with a leaky roof!! One more day at home and we're off again...but not in the MH. Quick turnaround!!! :) xx

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Worth noting that where it is coming in is not always directly over where you find the water inside.

I had a dodgy install of solar panels on my very first van (also the reason I Install myself now). They drilled holes for the self tapper :doh: then never put the self tappers in a few of the holes and no sealant on those holes.

The solar panel near the back. Due to the forward slope the water was coming in the hole, working it's way to the front of the van on top of the insulation, then through a gap in the insulation block then out through the surround of the big roof window.
It appeared the roof window was leaking and the dealership had it in a couple of times to fix but couldn't get it to stop leaking. It was only when I was up there looking at the solar install for a different reason I noticed the holes.

So, my advice is don't just look at where the water appears to be coming in, that can be misleading in some cases.

Good luck though, I hope you sort it quickly and it is the last of your problems.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yes, we did, thank you :) Well, we got of the spot we were on and moved to a spot nearer the entrance and stayed for another night as planned, rather than cut our break short. In the end, we had a really good time and came home happy......but with a leaky roof!! One more day at home and we're off again...but not in the MH. Quick turnaround!!! :) xx
I think I'd have dropped it at the dealers under warrantee and ask them to fix it before your return
Sorry this tickled me after everything that has gone wrong with it why would you want to get another one in the same condition?

Chin up and enjoy your break. Get it fixed when you get back

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I think I'd have dropped it at the dealers under warrantee and ask them to fix it before your return

Sorry this tickled me after everything that has gone wrong with it why would you want to get another one in the same condition?

Chin up and enjoy your break. Get it fixed when you get back

We didn't buy it from a dealer.

The 'condition' I refer to is the fact that you'd never know it had ever been used looking at it. There are no scratches, scrapes, dents, rubs, cracks, tears, etc. Do you get it now?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I thought you had it sealed at the dealers the work clearly is defective so I would take it back and get them to revisit the paid for work.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Ha e you got an awning fixed on that side? Dodgy fixings were the source of a leak above the door on a friend's caravan several years ago. He thought that it was the roof at first.
I hope that you get sorted. It sounds a bit like Whack-a-Mole for you at the moment. Hopefully, once you nail all the nuggles, you will have a sound, clean van to enjoy.

• Thanks
Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I thought you had it sealed at the dealers the work clearly is defective so I would take it back and get them to revisit the paid for work.

I had it done at a dealers but we didn't buy it from a dealer.

We took it back today and they've found where it's leaking. There's a small section of silicone that can be lifted slightly and they can see water underneath. It looks like, because the rain had pooled on the roof, it's allowed the water to penetrate under it.

They put a temporary repair on it, using some very sticky tape that they said is designed for use on boats and we brought it home again. We're taking it back again in the morning, they're going to fix it while we're away and we can pick it up again when we get back home. They were very shocked to see the video of it leaking into the MH and we're happy they've booked it in so soon. They're current wait time for non-warranty work is until the end of September!

Anyway, we're happy it's getting done and that we didn't have to have an argument with them about it :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Ha e you got an awning fixed on that side? Dodgy fixings were the source of a leak above the door on a friend's caravan several years ago. He thought that it was the roof at first.
I hope that you get sorted. It sounds a bit like Whack-a-Mole for you at the moment. Hopefully, once you nail all the nuggles, you will have a sound, clean van to enjoy.

Yes, we do have an awning on that side but it's coming in above that. See my post above.....it's being fixed under warranty :)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, we do have an awning on that side but it's coming in above that. See my post above.....it's being fixed under warranty :)
I did read that. Perhaps I should have written that the water ingress and staining was apartment on the inner roof lining. It was a brand new Hymer caravan, too. The dealer took it back after a fair bit of effort.
Safe and happy travels

• Thanks

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I had it done at a dealers but we didn't buy it from a dealer.

We took it back today and they've found where it's leaking. There's a small section of silicone that can be lifted slightly and they can see water underneath. It looks like, because the rain had pooled on the roof, it's allowed the water to penetrate under it.

They put a temporary repair on it, using some very sticky tape that they said is designed for use on boats and we brought it home again. We're taking it back again in the morning, they're going to fix it while we're away and we can pick it up again when we get back home. They were very shocked to see the video of it leaking into the MH and we're happy they've booked it in so soon. They're current wait time for non-warranty work is until the end of September!

Anyway, we're happy it's getting done and that we didn't have to have an argument with them about it :)
That's a brilliant result đź‘Ź you can go away now and relax not worrying about it
Pleased for you . Good to k ow there are decent dealers put there

• Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It would concern me what other damage has been done by the leaking water in the past.
Unless internal wall boards have been removed you will never know. Also if can't dry out if the walls are left in tack.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It would concern me what other damage has been done by the leaking water in the past.
Unless internal wall boards have been removed you will never know. Also if can't dry out if the walls are left in tack.

All we can hope for is that there is no hidden damage. Certainly, the wall where the water was running (which is just a short bit above the door, at the back of the locker) has no sign of swelling. It ran straight down in a very fine line before coming out of the locker at the bottom and then running down the door (all plastic), onto the footwell floor (all plastic) and out of the drainage holes. In that respect, we were very lucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back