Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 15, 2017
Fylde coast lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
02/14
On Saturday 7 Sept my wife came off her bike on Dunkirk promenade and needed to go to hospital some wonderful French people called for an ambulance and she was taken to an A&E dept and had xrays treatment for broken finger cuts glued and grazes patched up,at no point was she asked for payment, insurance details or EHIC CARD,today 19sept we have recieved a bill from the hospital for €118 there's a tear off strip and envelope presumably to put a cheque in, your thoughts on this matter are very welcome.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I think if you present your EHIC (or now GHIC) card at A&E you should get the treatment required for 10% of the cost with the remaining 90% met by the EHIC. Mrs Ingwe required a week as an in-patient emergency and we presented the EHIC but still had to pay 10% of the charge.
I also think that you have to raise the issue of GHIC card but that if you don’t do it at the time you can provide the details later. Obviously, the sooner you do it the better, rather than chasing up later.
Anyway glad the injuries were slight and your wife is ok. €118 is not a life-changing sum in any event. Our charge was over £20k of which we had to pay £2k. But she did have first rate treatment.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
You can claim a refund for the payment from our NHS. I did it after a french GP visit and prescription that were just below my travel insurance excess.

Mind you it took a year but I did get my money.

Here's the website: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/claim-refund-treatment-costs

Make sure you have the original bills and proof of payment. Submitting them online is a bit of a pain but persevere if you want to get paid.

You can actually talk to a real NHS person as well! They are in Geordie land but very nice people.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
She may have been taken to a 'Clinique' rather than an hôpital'. As I understand it a Clinique is a private hospital organisation which doesn't accept the EHIC system.
Edit
I've just Googled it............

1726767424170.png

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would pay the invoice and be grateful for the care.

A 20 minute private consultation costs upwards of £200 here before any treatment.

Having had truely awful experiences at the hands of NHS Scotland I feel I have no choice except to go private.

I can't go into details as I am in the process of starting legal investigations which I am told may become a criminal investigation.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
On Saturday 7 Sept my wife came off her bike on Dunkirk promenade and needed to go to hospital some wonderful French people called for an ambulance and she was taken to an A&E dept and had xrays treatment for broken finger cuts glued and grazes patched up,at no point was she asked for payment, insurance details or EHIC CARD,today 19sept we have recieved a bill from the hospital for €118 there's a tear off strip and envelope presumably to put a cheque in, your thoughts on this matter are very welcome.
Very cheap I would pay it and say thanks at the same time.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I believe the French have to pay up front and then claim it back unless they have an exemption, I believe the GHIC card entitles you to the same standard as locals so you may need to pay and claim it back from the NHS

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Thank god it wasn’t your pet we are talking about, would be ten times the price even in France! 🤣

Great VFM IMHO! 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Thank god it wasn’t your pet we are talking about, would be ten times the price even in France! 🤣

Great VFM IMHO! 👍🏻
From Dunkirk you could of got on the ferry ,phoned an ambulance ,waited six hours for one to turn up ,then waited outside A&E in the ambulance for ten hours before being seen and possibly been given the correct treatment 🤞
I think if I had an accident in Kent I’d drag myself to a ferry going the other way and pay up☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Small claims you can usally do on line no receipts asked for.
3 years ago I had my gallbladder nicked in Germany, wasn't going to claim as I only had a hospital bill for €70 and taxi fares about the same. Then I found out I could have £50 a day for days in hospital so put in a claim for over £400 paid in days no receipt required.

A few weeks ago 4 year old grandson broke his arm in Tenerife private hospital €660 daughter put in an online claim agreed immediately again no receipts asked for.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I had a motorbike accident in the Sth France a couple of years ago,and was taken to A&E via ambulance. I was X-rayed , three broken ribs ,and cuts patched up, and was out in four hours.
I must say though I was on a trolley in the corridor along with half a dozen other patients. So it’s not only the UK where that happens.
Anyway I received an invoice when we got home ,and paid it straight away,being grateful for the treatment I received.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back