Water leaking into cab advice (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Hello, just bought our first proper motorhome today. A 2007 Autocruise Stardream. Bit of an upgrade from our Vivaro day van.

I'm a mechanic so spent ages going over it with a fine tooth comb, it was raining hard so checked everywhere for damp and leaks, checked old habitation paperwork etc all good. Few minor bits to sort like a broken shelf and couple of lights etc so was knocked off the price

It was horrendous weather today and on the way back on the motorway water started dropping off the rear view mirror onto the dash.

Finally stopped at some services and looks like the sealant just above the windscreen where the body and cab meet has cracked and water is being driven in by the high winds. Couldn't find any other leaks in the back when we got home. Is it just something that happens over time and simply a case of remove old sealant and replace with some 512 or is it a much bigger problem that means it needs to go back

Haven't spoken to dealer yet but probably will tomorrow.

Thanks

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I would take it straight back for the dealers to sort no matter how minor or major it was, if you do it and it doesn't hold the dealers may then say that any further issues were caused by your handiwork so not subject to any warranty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Ok thanks, makes sense. Will give them a ring tomorrow.

Came with a 6mth warranty but as this happened on the way home they can't really argue even if its not classed as mechanical and directly covered by the policy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
welcome to the world of motorhomes and dealers:( but doesnt sound too bad if it isnt damp around it , sounds as if its just cracked.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We had the same problem and replaced the sealant around the outside edge of the windscreen and it's been fine since. It wasn't a big job so good luck and enjoy your new van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Yeh looks like its just cracked, theres just a hairline visible so didn't leak when parked up.

Not sure whether to just take it back and ask for refund now or fix it. If its cracked with age does it mean that other areas are just as likely to give problems later or is that a high stress area so prone to it

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We can't quite remember if we did the whole lot but think we did. I know we used Tiger Seal on the recommendation of our local mechanic and it's still ok four years later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Tiger seal is good stuff, the stuff we normally use is black but must also do a white one. Got a tube of Sika 512 i could use if that would be suitable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
We had the same problem and replaced the sealant around the outside edge of the windscreen and it's been fine since. It wasn't a big job so good luck and enjoy your new van.
So was yours the actual screen leaking or the seal between the metal body and plastic cab like ours?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We thought at first it was the screen but on advice replaced the sealant and tested it with a hose....no more leaks and much cheaper than replacing the whole screen. But i do remember quite a lot of water coming through when driving home in the rain. Quite alarming! We also have a 2007 Autocruise.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
older vans tend to suffer from all sorts of issues, that's why they're cheaper. that doesn't mean however they should be sold 'as seen' when buying from a dealer. you did the right thing getting a warranty and I hope it covers the issue, but from what others have identified it looks like a job you could do yourself (and prob make a better job of it than the garage it might be taken to for repair)

if you don't report it to the dealer, how will they know you have carried out the repair yourself, especially as you say, they probably didn't even know about it, so it might not affect the warranty (if it actually covers anything not mechanical)

the fact that you checked it out thoroughly might suggest its a pretty good motorhome, with just a couple of problems easily fixed. you might not see another one that youre happy with (condition and price) for a long while - so if you can fix it then why not??

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
The big problem is that if it has been happening for some time and has caused damage to the structure.
I wouldn't be happy with it just being resealed which is what the dealer is likely to do. It needs internal paneling removed to check for damage.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think one problem is motorhomes hold their value so well its natural to expect them to be in a condition that really isn't realiastic when 12 years old. If your dealer is willing to fix it and the rest is fine and thats the top of your budget I would stick with it if you reject it then get another a similar age are you likely to get one thats absolutely perfect?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Thanks for the input and apologies for the long delay in replying. I ran out of posts for the free account so couldn't reply till I finally upgraded. But held off doing that till I knew we were keeping it

The outcome was I took it back to the dealer the next day and left it with them. It was a weekend so the workshop wasn't open.
I was going to just demand a refund but later told them that to consider keeping it we wanted it sealing using the correct products and also wanted a full damp check to make sure there was no damage or other areas of concern. They kept it for a couple of weeks as we went on hols a few days later.

Fair play they did all that and gave me a damp report. So its back and no leaks.

Not been away in it yet, currently working my way through it removing, sorting and improving a few bits and pieces, looking at security and giving it a much overdue clean. Especially the roof! OMG! took me days in stages. Ended up taking the skylights out to do it properly.

Upvote 0

Mr Beaumont

Free Member
Feb 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Glad you got it all sorted. Now get out there and enjoy your new van, you'll love it (y):D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back