Waste water level indicator (17 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
The waste water level indicator in my Hymer has stopped working. It now just flashes.

I assume I should try cleaning the electrodes on the sensor and, if that doesn’t work, replace the sensor?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The waste water level indicator in my Hymer has stopped working. It now just flashes.

I assume I should try cleaning the electrodes on the sensor and, if that doesn’t work, replace the sensor?
View attachment 956486
Are you able to access it from underneath? If not, at least not without a lot of work a strong mix of Citric Acid poured into the tank via the sink or shower drains and left to work on the tanks grimy film would probably give it a good clean out, Leave it in a day or so, then take the van out for a drive to agitate the contents also helps. Also recommended for the same job is cheap own label non diet cola, or a Mr Muscle type of drain cleaner. The physical access to the tank is generally via the one of the two red unscrewing "6 wide drain bungs on the underside. Warning, it will absolutely stink in the tank so if going for the access method, a good swill out first will make the job slightly more bearable. The bungs are a normal R/H thread, but will be tight, I made a tool to undo them out of some old bits of timber and ply I had, but some quality mole grips, and small timber packing pieces either side of the bungs central rib will help with the bungs removal. Good luck.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is it flashing to tell you it’s full or only flashing when you change the display to view it

The latter I think will suggest a sensor or wiring issue

Cleaning first will be easier and cheaper 👍

Ours only show 0/25/50/100% and are next to useless, but they also flash when empty (fresh) or full (grey) so would drive me mad if faulty
B
Typically I know that if we need fresh water, we also need to dump the grey, 90% of our fresh goes back out as grey , that works well for us

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StillGoing
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Is it flashing to tell you it’s full or only flashing when you change the display to view it

The latter I think will suggest a sensor or wiring issue

Cleaning first will be easier and cheaper 👍

Ours only show 0/25/50/100% and are next to useless, but they also flash when empty (fresh) or full (grey) so would drive me mad if faulty
B
Typically I know that if we need fresh water, we also need to dump the grey, 90% of our fresh goes back out as grey , that works well for us
It’s flashing the whole time when I selected it. I’ve not seen it do this before in the 5 years I’ve had the motorhome.

The tank was about half full. I’ve emptied it and now the display is showing empty. I’ll see what happens at the next stop when it fills up again.

To be honest, if the fresh water tank is empty, the waste water tank is full and needs emptying! I don’t need a gauge to tell me that but I hate it when things don’t work. It bugs me until they are fixed. 😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StillGoing
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Are you able to access it from underneath? If not, at least not without a lot of work a strong mix of Citric Acid poured into the tank via the sink or shower drains and left to work on the tanks grimy film would probably give it a good clean out, Leave it in a day or so, then take the van out for a drive to agitate the contents also helps. Also recommended for the same job is cheap own label non diet cola, or a Mr Muscle type of drain cleaner. The physical access to the tank is generally via the one of the two red unscrewing "6 wide drain bungs on the underside. Warning, it will absolutely stink in the tank so if going for the access method, a good swill out first will make the job slightly more bearable. The bungs are a normal R/H thread, but will be tight, I made a tool to undo them out of some old bits of timber and ply I had, but some quality mole grips, and small timber packing pieces either side of the bungs central rib will help with the bungs removal. Good luck.
Mike.
Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like access is from the top and looks quite reasonable. I’ll clean it when I get home after our tour.

IMG_5903.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back