Warning: Flat/flexible solar panels. (1 Viewer)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I understand you have to fit them with a air gap ? that's what the manufacturer said, when I fitted them I fitted spacers and just stuck down the edges.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Despite their attribution of the panel failure to internal wiring failure it would have helped if they had been installed correctly with an air gap underneath:

IMG_0499.png

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The newer CIGS flexible panels should avoid this problem. They don't generate as much heat & don't need an air gap.
CIGS=Copper Indium Gallium Selenide

I haven't done a full price comparison, but I do know that they are more expensive than traditional flexi panels. But a bit like lithium batteries - if they cost twice as much but last three times as long, then they are cheaper over the long term. Traditional flexi panels are notorious for their short life span.

The main use case for flexible panels is on campervans with pop top roofs, where weight is the main consideration.

More info here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
At current technology, CIGS or SunPower are the best flexible cells.
I have been telling this for a long time.
And on another note: how many in here has correctly fused the panels using proper ultra fast blow gPV fuses? Many think a panel is to small to create a fire, but, i have been to jobs where the panel's completely burned, and melted the renusol console on the roof, with scorch marks on the felt that needed replaced. That was because the failing panel was in a string with no fuse. Well doggy.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Someone on here has done exactly the same taping down the edges too, only the other week, hope they see this….

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry mate, videos with covers like that just don't deserve to be watched. Life's too short.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Being aware of failures of semi-flexibles due to overheating when bonded to a roof with no air gap for cooling and along with the expansion and contracting of the panels causing conductor joints to fail, I went for mounting my two semi-flexible on lightweight multiwall polycarbonate roofing sheet which gives stiffness to the panel and also allows airflow to dissipate heat away from the panels. Each panel is secured to the roof in six places on 18mm thick mountings.
They have been up there for 4 and a half years now and neither has failed, so either I'm just lucky or my mounting method is keeping them alive.

1696151335636.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not to do with fire but there was flexible panel at side of A30 this morning!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
I have used 'stick down' panels on two occasions. Both installed according to the instructions and both worked well UNTIL
1st set installed on metal roof of a narrowboat - when removed the area underneath the panels was a rust bucket. Damp and heat had ruined the paintwork and generated a penetrating layer of rust.
2nd one on the roof of our motorhome - when removed the heat generated had 'toasted' the gelcoat from a pale cream to a dark brown, very unsightly and difficult to restore.
Now, would only use framed panels with sufficient air space underneath for ventilation and heat dissipation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back