Waiting for break down recovery in Italy (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Well our tour of the Dolomites hasn't turned out the way we were expecting. Driving through Cortina d'Ampezzo on our way north to Camping Olympia when the instrument panel on our 3 year old Ducato based Malibu lit up like a Xmas tree. Continued driving but with loss of power, intermittent loss of Speedo, and very disconcerting jerkiness. The warning lights were mainly to do with EBD failure but with others coming on and off. I made it to a decent layby and phoned our recovery service which is through the Nationwide. This was at 2pm. After waiting and waiting and calling them 3 times for an update I eventually received a call from an Italian person to say they won't be attending till tomorrow morning! It's peeing outside but at least we're comfortable and (hopefully) safe.

Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I had occasion to use the service in Spain when the NW had just transferred to the AA. Not a good experience: no answers, no English speakers etc. it was so bad that my complaint went up to CEO level!
It also took them six weeks to bring my outfit home after I was medivacced..

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
I had occasion to use the service in Spain when the NW had just transferred to the AA. Not a good experience: no answers, no English speakers etc. it was so bad that my complaint went up to CEO level!
It also took them six weeks to bring my outfit home after I was medivacced..
Wow that was bad John. I hope it doesn't take them that long for me. When I rang for updates I spoke to French call handlers who had very good English. It's funny though because each one I spoke to intimated that the Italian service they used is notoriously bad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Hope it gets sorted quickly.

I only had an engine light on in France and that was stressful enough.

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Hope it gets sorted quickly.

I only had an engine light on in France and that was stressful enough.
Thanks Googlebot. As it turns out, this morning all of the lights that came on yesterday have not appeared although the engine warning light is still showing. Still sat in the layby waiting for assistance some 21 hrs after first reporting it.

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Thats a reason I just splashed out on the MultiECUscan, I may be able to reset something to get me to a town or campsite if there is a problem. Hope you get sorted soon.
Thanks Howard. Hadn't heard of that before but it look a good bit of kit. But wouldn't it just reset the warnings but leave the underlying problem unresovled?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
But wouldn't it just reset the warnings but leave the underlying problem unresovled?

Seems to me there often isn’t an underlying problem. I’ve had at least 5 warning light episodes while touring Europe, they’ve always resolved themselves including one limp mode occasion. Digital stuff can scare you to death. I did over 1500 miles with intermittent fault lights/warning this year but as soon as I arrived home and took it to Fiat Professional, it can’t be replicated. I even made a video of the lights coming on and then clearing but after 3 weeks they found nothing! I suggest (if you can) try ignoring it and see if it goes away before considering recovery. Good luck - very stressful.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Well our tour of the Dolomites hasn't turned out the way we were expecting. Driving through Cortina d'Ampezzo on our way north to Camping Olympia when the instrument panel on our 3 year old Ducato based Malibu lit up like a Xmas tree. Continued driving but with loss of power, intermittent loss of Speedo, and very disconcerting jerkiness. The warning lights were mainly to do with EBD failure but with others coming on and off. I made it to a decent layby and phoned our recovery service which is through the Nationwide. This was at 2pm. After waiting and waiting and calling them 3 times for an update I eventually received a call from an Italian person to say they won't be attending till tomorrow morning! It's peeing outside but at least we're comfortable and (hopefully) safe.
That is terrible service . Few years ago I had to use breakdown in France , prompt service . I did have to contact breakdown in Italy because of large crack in windscreen . Think they sent me directions to their Autoglass agent ! Guy was really nice but don't think he'd fitted a windscreen before . His mate who was helping had to leave so I had to help [definitely never fitted windscreen] .
Maybe its just an Italian thing ?

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Seems to me there often isn’t an underlying problem. I’ve had at least 5 warning light episodes while touring Europe, they’ve always resolved themselves including one limp mode occasion. Digital stuff can scare you to death. I did over 1500 miles with intermittent fault lights/warning this year but as soon as I arrived home and took it to Fiat Professional, it can’t be replicated. I even made a video of the lights coming on and then clearing but after 3 weeks they found nothing! I suggest (if you can) try ignoring it and see if it goes away before considering recovery. Good luck - very stressful.
Thanks seasideBill. As it's down to the one warning light now I'm now very much considering doing what you suggest but my onboard health & safety inspector is against it although after showing her your reply I'm hoping she'll change her mind.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Modern vehicles are packed with warning lights, some make the van go into limp mode. Even a dud indicator light can cause mayhem and scare you. Hopefully your problem will be resolved quickly and simply. I would definitely check the earth conditions on the battery as previously stated. Older vans don’t have this problem and chug on regardless. Hope it all works out for you soon.
Phil

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
It would be a good idea to get a cheap Obd reader,then you can at least get the fault code to google to get some idea what it is, and then hopefully clear the fault to get you going again.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Fault code readers can be useful but sometimes the fault isn’t stored. I had 3 errors this year, power steering, electronic handbrake and airbag but no fault codes stored.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
From your description of what happened it sounds like the problem is something affecting many vehicle systems. Following on from Chris's post No 7 and LiS No 20, lift the starter battery cover (passenger footwell) and check if the quick disconnect battery earth connector is properly attached. It will rotate when fitted - that is normal. If you have some tools, check the gearbox to chassis earth connector is tight (visible just behind the air filter if you have the manual gearbox). Best of luck getting it sorted or getting breakdown assistance otherwise.

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Well I'll be blowed. After waiting almost 24 hrs and many calls for updates, and absolutely no indication of when to expect assistance, I decided to chance it and drive to the nearest campsite. Low and behold when I turned on the ignition no sign of any warning lights and it drove as if there had never been a problem. So the plan is to have a look at the engine battery earth strap and get a engine fault code reader when I get back. I'm also going to put in a complaint to the Nationwide about the terrible service. Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again before we get back as we're a long way from home. Many thanks for all your advice.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Fault code readers can be useful but sometimes the fault isn’t stored. I had 3 errors this year, power steering, electronic handbrake and airbag but no fault codes stored.
With a new van? What did the garage say?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
That’s very poor service from Nationwide although they can only instruct these recovery companies as a third party so it’s beyond their control .
when my handbrake failed in S.W France Red Pennant had me booked into a Peugeot dealership within 90 minutes and organised recovery which I declined and drove the 15 miles without a handbrake .
It was holiday weekend in France and the dealership in Tarbes still fixed the problem .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I eventually received a call from an Italian person to say they won't be attending till tomorrow morning!
As soon as they told me that last night I would have been on to Nationwide complaining .Then this morning at 8 am I would have rung again asking when they were arriving then I'd have rung them yet again when I moved to the campsite & then again to start an official complaint.You need to cover yourself in case it dies again & you need them for recovery
I'm also going to put in a complaint to the Nationwide about the terrible service. Fin
as above it needs to be now so you can get service if needed next time

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
According to my Fiat dealer - unless a warning persists it is wiped from the memory after 100 starts.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
With a new van? What did the garage say?
Not a lot really other than sorry can’t find a fault (after trying to replicate it for 3 weeks). I’m waiting for it to happen again and then it will be a conversation with Fiat Customer Services. Intermittent faults are bloody frustrating but there must be a technical guy somewhere who can recognise the interaction of the 3 different systems and work out some possibilities. The positive is the van drives perfectly.

Video too big to post here but some screen shots all in the same episode if you’re interested. Only happens on starting and clears after a few moments, except red airbag light that takes a bit longer.

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2283.jpeg

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It reminds me of the NASA space mission many moons ago (geddit?) when a warning light came on in the capsule indicating a serious fault.

Mission Control went into action checking every possible circuit and system but could find nothing wrong.

A highly qualified but young MIT graduate then suggested tapping the warning light with a pencil.

On doing so, the light went out and the mission was completed successfully.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back