LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you read to the end of the report it suggests it's not advisable to use both. I use a VPN.

Can—or Should—You Use Both a Proxy Server & VPN?

You can use a VPN and a proxy server together, but it’s not advisable. Setting the two services up can take some configuring and might slow down your internet connection without adding any major benefits. Just because you can use the two services together doesn’t mean that you should.

If you’re only looking to mask your IP address, proxy servers and VPNs will do the job. If you don’t want to put the brakes on your browsing speed or if you’re concerned about cost, a free proxy server might be the right fit for you. But if you’re looking for an encrypted connection, look into a VPN.

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In simple terms, VPNs and proxies are both tools to route your internet traffic through another location.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But if you’re looking for an encrypted connection, look into a VPN.
I have my own proxy set up here through my own servers. They are encrypted.

It is easy to confuse the channel/connection with the content. The method of the connection does not dictate if the content is encrypted or not.

But to be honest that is moot these days as pretty much every website including this one uses end to end encryption. See the padlock in the address bar? That shows the encryption.

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But if you’re looking for an encrypted connection, look into a VPN.
Why not use just a proxy? VPNs are slower and not very encryptive. But proxies are fast, reliable, and ideally meet the needs for online protection and connection speed.
And they're pretty cheap. For instance, on proxys.io, you pay $1,4 per month for an individual proxy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
If you use Apple (phone, tablet, macbook etc.) then you can use safe browsing as a proxy to hide your IP address from sites. All the sites I go to that want to show local content always think I’m in London!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Why not use just a proxy? VPNs are slower and not very encryptive. But proxies are fast, reliable, and ideally meet the needs for online protection and connection speed.
And they're pretty cheap. For instance, on proxys.io, you pay $1,4 per month for an individual proxy.
What brought this up again? . . . maybe because many find it too complicated to go through the process of setting it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back