Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Just bought a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 controller. Does the little black jumper link need removing before I set it up via bluetooth?

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-30 at 15.31.06_42fd42ec.jpg

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Just fitted the same model and didn’t alter the jumper just remember to connect the leisure battery first then the solar panel. Instructions are online 👍
Looks like it should be removed if you are using the app for settings. I'd be happier with it removed to be honest as it looks like something that will be easily knocked and is quite fragile

Screenshot (293).png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Agreed fetching mine from storage tomorrow and I will remove. Thanks for the clarification đź‘Ť
Out of interest did you fit an inline fuse between the controller and the battery and if so what size fuse? I fitted one for the previously bought and utterly useless Dokio controller and used a 30A fuse (it was a 20A controller), but thinking this needs to be smaller now as the manual suggests 20A to 25A, but wondering if the 30A will still be of use?

Screenshot (294).png

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Any fuse should be the lowest rating possible to suit the wiring capability. If the connected appliance is lesser than the wiring, then fuse for the appliance i.e. solar controller. But fuse near battery for solar connection is always good idea.

I removed the jumper thing as I was using bluetooth.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Any fuse should be the lowest rating possible to suit the wiring capability. If the connected appliance is lesser than the wiring, then fuse for the appliance i.e. solar controller. But fuse near battery for solar connection is always good idea.

I removed the jumper thing as I was using bluetooth.
So the wiring I have is what came with the 160W solar panel (portable) and the now discarded Dokio 20A controller. I wanted the keep the wiring as it has XT60 connectors which I can use as a disconnection between battery and panel. How do I know what inline fuse suits the wiring in this case?

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-31 at 14.08.32_a48bde8e.jpg

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
Out of interest did you fit an inline fuse between the controller and the battery and if so what size fuse? I fitted one for the previously bought and utterly useless Dokio controller and used a 30A fuse (it was a 20A controller), but thinking this needs to be smaller now as the manual suggests 20A to 25A, but wondering if the 30A will still be of use?

View attachment 930097
Mine already had a 20amp battery fuse.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Just trying to set it up via the app but the preset battery options are confusing. We just have a standard leisure battery - flooded lead acid I believe, so what option would I pick?

Battery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Didn't you get to this part?

View attachment 930345
Yes but that is about the settings, I still don't know which battery type to choose from the options in the drop down list if that makes sense? I see others have asked the same question in that link though so once I have double checked the exact spec of my battery tomorrow I will also ask which to choose and what settings are best too. Thank you for the link

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Sadly still no clearer as it just shows which to pick for a lithium battery so I may have to contact Victron
If you start changing values the battery type will change to user defined, assuming your batteries are 12v use the left most figures in Jev's post the other numbers are for 24v and 48v batteries, remember that temperature compensation is per cell so multiply by 6 for a 12v battery. Edit: Set battery type to gel and then start changing the values if necessary.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
If you start changing values the battery type will change to user defined, assuming your batteries are 12v use the left most figures in Jev's post the other numbers are for 24v and 48v batteries, remember that temperature compensation is per cell so multiply by 6 for a 12v battery. Edit: Set battery type to gel and then start changing the values if necessary.
But my battery isn’t gel as far as I know? I’m just trying to find where it states normal flooded lead acid battery but there is no option for that. Anyway I will ask on that link as others have and see where I get from there 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So the wiring I have is what came with the 160W solar panel (portable) and the now discarded Dokio 20A controller. I wanted the keep the wiring as it has XT60 connectors which I can use as a disconnection between battery and panel. How do I know what inline fuse suits the wiring in this case?

View attachment 930158
Those wires are far to small to be fused at 30 amps you need to fit new cables.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
But my battery isn’t gel as far as I know? I’m just trying to find where it states normal flooded lead acid battery but there is no option for that. Anyway I will ask on that link as others have and see where I get from there 👍
Preset no 2, the values are for flooded batteries.
And ditch the wire on the battery side, to small.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It doesn't matter that your batteries are not gel because you're going to change the values to the ones you need for your battery, when you start changing the values the battery type will change automatically to user defined, it will no longer say gel. I say start with the gel preset because the values will be closest to lead acid, is that a bit clearer?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes but that is about the settings, I still don't know which battery type to choose from the options in the drop down list if that makes sense? I see others have asked the same question in that link though so once I have double checked the exact spec of my battery tomorrow I will also ask which to choose and what settings are best too. Thank you for the link
It lists the voltages for a 12v lead acid battery ..... Enter them manually as a custom setting.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
It doesn't matter that your batteries are not gel because you're going to change the values to the ones you need for your battery, when you start changing the values the battery type will change automatically to user defined, it will no longer say gel. I say start with the gel preset because the values will be closest to lead acid, is that a bit clearer?
I think I understand, thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Those wires are far to small to be fused at 30 amps you need to fit new cables.
It states on the back of the solar panel that they came with that they are 12AWG, but I ordered another XT60 connector from Ebay that has 12AWG cable attached and it is clearly much thicker. However, why does the cable need to be thicker as so many electrical items have wires this thin? If I drop the fuse to a 20amp one will that not resolve any concerns?

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Preset no 2, the values are for flooded batteries.
And ditch the wire on the battery side, to small.
So the one that says 'Gel Victron deep discharge (2)'?
If I ditch the wire from controller to battery for thicker wire, do I also need to ditch it from the controller to the solar panel as that seems to be hardwired into the panel so not quite as simple to replace?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you but it is just the choice of battery I need to know to move forward before I can get to the change of settings section if that makes sense?
you can choose gel and edit it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back