Victron Inverter/Charger 12/1600/70 AC out cable size ? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 7, 2023
Burnley, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
I am still doing the prep to install the Victron Multiplus 1600 in my Carthago E-line.
My query is that the older model Multiplus had a 2.5mm cable requirement, but the AC input and output connectors on this new version only have 1.5mm sized connectors ( and is specified as that size cable in the manual ).
However, the existing EHU input cable is 2.5mm ( with WAGO-Winsta771 connector blocks ).
The chart attached shows it is “safe” to use if clipped direct, I take this to mean clipped to the wallboard in the battery/electrical area, effectively in my case with plenty of free air circulation.
I am just confused as to why Victron have reduced the need for 2.5mm to 1.5mm ?
Thoughts anyone ?
Cheers

IMG_4244.jpeg

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Strange decision indeed! - The online manual states min of 1.5mm required and specifies G-ST18i connectors for the input/output which should be good for 2.5mm/20amp (i version) since they have strain relief in the plug.

PS. Know nothing about AC (or pretty much anything to be fair) so just had a look out of curiosity. Doubtless one of the more knowledgeable folk will come along :giggle:

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Clipped direct would mean clipped or fixed direct to a wall or panel not inside anything so by reducing the amount of current the cable can safely take

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Clipped direct would mean clipped or fixed direct to a wall or panel not inside anything so by reducing the amount of current the cable can safely take
Sorry but it’s the other way round as clipped direct can dissipate more heat, therefore carry more current.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Sorry but it’s the other way round as clipped direct can dissipate more heat, therefore carry more current.
Is that not what i said?
Not inside something so by reducing the current capacity.
Think you maybe missundetstud what i wrote

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
For input you can get away with a short run of 1.5mm2 as the max pass through will be 16A or whatever you set it to, on power control.
On the output will be the 16A from pass trough, plus inverter its own output of 1600 combined in power assist mode. So add another 7A to that 16 coming in.
That will force a minimum 2.5mm2 from inverter output to a immediate double pole 20A breaker, or 16A if you don't want to use the max input/ output combined. But definitely 2.5mm2 for the output, and it fits those connectors as I done it in the past with arctic 2.5mm2 super flex, but crimped some ferules to allow the strands for a good connection.
Don't use solid core twin and earth, it's a mobile install and vibration, fatigue, can cause the ends to break off. I know it has restrain relief on the plugs, but still not advisable to use solid core, unless is a static install.

OP
OP
MarkHoughton
Jun 7, 2023
Burnley, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
For input you can get away with a short run of 1.5mm2 as the max pass through will be 16A or whatever you set it to, on power control.
On the output will be the 16A from pass trough, plus inverter its own output of 1600 combined in power assist mode. So add another 7A to that 16 coming in.
That will force a minimum 2.5mm2 from inverter output to a immediate double pole 20A breaker, or 16A if you don't want to use the max input/ output combined. But definitely 2.5mm2 for the output, and it fits those connectors as I done it in the past with arctic 2.5mm2 super flex, but crimped some ferules to allow the strands for a good connection.
Don't use solid core twin and earth, it's a mobile install and vibration, fatigue, can cause the ends to break off. I know it has restrain relief on the plugs, but still not advisable to use solid core, unless is a static install.

I did manage to 'force' in 2.5mm artic cable and got the covers screwed down reasonably well. I was aware of the multi-strand rather than solid cable and had plenty of that already. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back