Using My Diesel Heating Makes My MH Smell (35 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It seems to me that you frequently seek advice here but on a life saving matter you choose to ignore that advice, Could you enlighten us are we doing something wrong?

I've already said I'm not going into it. This is a public forum (public forever, with no option to delete posts) and not a place to discuss personal situations. So, no, I won't enlighten you.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I have been using diesel heaters for years both personally and professionally in ambos. One thing to remember is that having it running for long periods on a low setting can induce carbon build up which affects a clean burn. Once a month or every other month run it on the maximum setting for 30mins, this can burn off the carbon and retain a clean burn. If at any point this doesn’t work, then there are service kits available and it’s not that complicated to do. Most of the Chinese heaters are direct copies of Eberspacher/Webasto so most of the parts are interchangeable but do your homework first.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have been using diesel heaters for years both personally and professionally in ambos. One thing to remember is that having it running for long periods on a low setting can induce carbon build up which affects a clean burn. Once a month or every other month run it on the maximum setting for 30mins, this can burn off the carbon and retain a clean burn. If at any point this doesn’t work, then there are service kits available and it’s not that complicated to do. Most of the Chinese heaters are direct copies of Eberspacher/Webasto so most of the parts are interchangeable but do your homework first.
If it needs high heat at full chat to burn carbon deposits, it means it runs to rich. The mix can be adjusted to run just a smidge on the lean side, resulting in a complete burn even on the lowest setting.. There should be no smell at all on any setting.
Also the lowest setting has to have sufficient chamber temperature, it needs to be set right, otherwise it will have carbon build up.
My chinese diesel heater can run on min for weeks and months. Last time I opened it up to service, there was no soot to clean. Periodically I run some kerosene trough it and is squeaky clean. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Thank you so much for this information. It's very useful to me :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
If it needs high heat at full chat to burn carbon deposits, it means it runs to rich. The mix can be adjusted to run just a smidge on the lean side, resulting in a complete burn even on the lowest setting.. There should be no smell at all on any setting.
Also the lowest setting has to have sufficient chamber temperature, it needs to be set right, otherwise it will have carbon build up.
My chinese diesel heater can run on min for weeks and months. Last time I opened it up to service, there was no soot to clean. Periodically I run some kerosene trough it and is squeaky clean. 👍

Blimey, I didn't realise it needed servicing. Or that it would carbon up. I understand clean burns, as I've had woodburners for years, but I didn't realise I had to do anything specific with my diesel heater (it's the first one I've ever had). What kind of service does it needs, please, and how often? Thank you.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Blimey, I didn't realise it needed servicing. Or that it would carbon up. I understand clean burns, as I've had woodburners for years, but I didn't realise I had to do anything specific with my diesel heater (it's the first one I've ever had). What kind of service does it needs, please, and how often? Thank you.
Mainly air intake to be absolutely clean and no obstruction, as its fan drawn in, it can run rich on the slight obstruction of air in.
Also burn chamber decarbonise, if it starts to perform poorly. Carbon build up impedes heat transfer, and raises the ppm at exhaust.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Only a basic service to make sure that it is running as it should,
But obviously not a problem to someone such as your self as it is what it is🙂

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Only a basic service to make sure that it is running as it should,
But obviously not a problem to someone such as your self as it is what it is🙂

I don't understand your comment. I may not worry too much about CO but I'd rather have working than not.

And, what is a basic service?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I don't understand your comment. I may not worry too much about CO but I'd rather have working than not.

And, what is a basic service?
Well I am not worried about carbon monoxide but I do under stand the basics of diesel heaters, unlike some users of them.
I have no more to say on this subject as I understand life choices even if it causes distress to people who have to CLEAR UP mental issues ☹️

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Our exhaust was quite close to one of the many floor vents and the fumes sometimes could be smelled (smelt?) inside. I just bought an exhaust extension pipe to move the outlet well away from any vents

I need to find out where my heater and exhaust are. I don't have time at the moment, as we have to go to Italy tomorrow (not in the MH), but I'll check this out when we get back :)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I need to find out where my heater and exhaust are. I don't have time at the moment, as we have to go to Italy tomorrow (not in the MH), but I'll check this out when we get back :)
The only thing to consider is that if you have an extra long run of exhaust pipe make sure to drill a small hole at any low point to allow any condensate to get out of the pipe. It won't cause any fume issues but if you don't let the condensate out you can block the exhaust which stops the heater working 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back