Using My Diesel Heating Makes My MH Smell (26 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :)

When I use the diesel heating in my MH, I can smell it inside. The smell is noticably much more outside but should I be able to smell it inside, too? Thank you :)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

When I use the diesel heating in my MH, I can smell it inside. The smell is noticably much more outside but should I be able to smell it inside, too? Thank you :)
No you shouldn’t unless the obvious window door open.

Reactions: HKF

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Do you know what make of heater it is? Eberspacher and Webasto have been around for a while but Truma now make them. These heat air and water. There are also the Chinese heaters which heat air only.

We have a diesel heater, a Webasto. When it is running there is a slight smell outside by the exhaust but never inside.

If you have a strong smell outside and especially if it is producing visible smoke something is wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Your diesel heater, if fitted correctly, should be mounted on top of a turret that goes through the floor of your van and is sealed both internally and externally, so if the exhaust should drop off or leak, then no exhaust fumes can enter your van via this point.
If you are getting exhaust fumes, then it is either a door or window open or poor sealing elsewhere in your van.

1727517584739.png

1727517597679.png

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I'd run it as hot as it can go for 15mins or more, it'll also burn off any carbon deposits. If running on a low setting temp all the time it may not be burning all the diesel. Seems to work for me!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thank you, everyone, for the replies above. The sun is out today at last in South West France (HURRAH!!!!!), so I'm going to take a look under the Mh and see if I can figure out where the heater actually is, by finding the exhaust. Then I can see if the exhaust has come loose.

To answer a few questions;
  • The smell is there with all doors, windows and skylights closed
  • It could be just a burning smell from not being used in a long time but I'm not sure. I'll run it again today and see what happens
  • It's a Webasto. It does heating and hot water
  • There is no visible smoke outside
  • I didn't have it running on full, only about half. So, I'll try it again today on full and see what happens
Thank you, again :)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Your diesel heater, if fitted correctly, should be mounted on top of a turret that goes through the floor of your van and is sealed both internally and externally, so if the exhaust should drop off or leak, then no exhaust fumes can enter your van via this point.
If you are getting exhaust fumes, then it is either a door or window open or poor sealing elsewhere in your van.

View attachment 957126
View attachment 957127
Not necessarily, all six of mine have all been mounted under the floor in the chassis area.

• Informative
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Not necessarily, all six of mine have all been mounted under the floor in the chassis area.
On my Autosleeper the Webasto DualTop heater is mounted under the floor in the centre of the van. All parts for it are ridiculously expensive so hopefully the OP's heater is fine.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
If the exhaust is pointing towards the side of the vehicle and correctly attached don't worry about a minor smell from a blown air diesel heater, they all do.
The most likely source of odour entry to the habitation area is via a gas dropout, that again being dependent on the wind direction etc.
I'm on my sixth van with an Eberspacher fitted, some exactly the same as the vehicle manufacturer fits them and they have all smelt a bit at fire-up and shut down. The current MAN TGE being just the same.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

I assume you have a working Carbon Monoxide detector.
A different situation but we were sitting in the moho yesterday when our CO alarm alerted us to a faulty leisure battery. All sorted now curtesy of Tayna delivering two new butteries to site next say.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you, everyone, for the replies above. The sun is out today at last in South West France (HURRAH!!!!!), so I'm going to take a look under the Mh and see if I can figure out where the heater actually is, by finding the exhaust. Then I can see if the exhaust has come loose.

To answer a few questions;
  • The smell is there with all doors, windows and skylights closed
  • It could be just a burning smell from not being used in a long time but I'm not sure. I'll run it again today and see what happens
  • It's a Webasto. It does heating and hot water
  • There is no visible smoke outside
  • I didn't have it running on full, only about half. So, I'll try it again today on full and see what happens
Thank you, again :)
If its mounted inside as ours is and to add to the photo posted by Two on Tour it should look a bit like this underneath, which was taken after I had removed the air intake pipe. Ours has an exhaust silencer, not all do.

As mentioned above I hope it's nothing serious as these heaters are now obsolete and parts ruinously expensive.

PXL_20230702_100025833.MP.jpg

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I assume you have a working Carbon Monoxide detector.
A different situation but we were sitting in the moho yesterday when our CO alarm alerted us to a faulty leisure battery. All sorted now curtesy of Tayna delivering two new butteries to site next say.

No, I don't have a CO detector, through choice.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
About not having a CO alarm. It's a personal choice and one I'm not prepared to go into. Please don't push me on this subject.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back