Up Plating this N&B Arto possible? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Hi all,
Looking at the axle weights in the photo, am I right in thinking that this could be up plated to 4.5t?

If the axles can already take the weights shown, what other changes might need to be made? Brakes, tyres, wife ?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Screenshot_20240801_211348_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch~2.jpg

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Different from our Arto 69GL (2003) which is currently at 3850kg and I am told can go to 4000kg with air suspension.
Yes, this one would appear to have a heavier chassis, as I see the quoted weights for online sources for this model is typically starting at 3.5t

Presumably that was an option, and this MH might weel be worth further consideration.

Would quite like to avoid too many bad mistakes buying my first MH, coming over from the dark side (caravanning!).

Buy in haste, repent at leisure!

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You have options now.

You can pay money to SVtech who can uprate it for you for a cost

Or you can contact Vanweightengineering who will do exactly the same but you can afford to buy the wine that you will then be able to carry because they will be cheaper and no lesser service (the choice is yours) and you will pay less in vehicle excise license

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, this one would appear to have a heavier chassis, as I see the quoted weights for online sources for this model is typically starting at 3.5t

Presumably that was an option, and this MH might weel be worth further consideration.

Would quite like to avoid too many bad mistakes buying my first MH, coming over from the dark side (caravanning!).

Buy in haste, repent at leisure!

You are quite right to delve to get these answers, some do not.

NB Van weight engineering are reportedly currently awaiting re-accreditation from DVSA.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
You have options now.

You can pay money to SVtech who can uprate it for you for a cost

Or you can contact Vanweightengineering who will do exactly the same but you can afford to buy the wine that you will then be able to carry because they will be cheaper and no lesser service (the choice is yours) and you will pay less in vehicle excise license
Thanks for that, suavecarve , been reading a lot in other threads about VWE's travails at the moment.

Loving your trip journals, by the way. Already starting to think about where I'd like to revisit first (but in an MH, this time)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
First thing you need to do is get your rear axle on a weighbridge to see how close you already are to the 2400kg limit. If you are already close to the limit then unless you have tons of suitable storage around the cab area then there's very little point in paper up-plating.
Yes, you're absolutely right, given the variation in actual weights, especially after the other stuff added outside the 'standard' equipment.

I might suggest the dealer does this, if I thought I trusted them!

Thanks for that, dunnah01

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just sealed a deal on an N&B Flair myself but not got it yet . Its 6 tonne but could go to 6950 I believe
Oooo ... You could have not only a donkey and a camel but a pony too! šŸ˜†

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Minxy but Northernraider hasn't told us how much payload! šŸ˜œ

That MH can't be very light!

Personally, I'm after <7.5m, ideally 4.5 to 5t for payload reasons. Hope the back axle doesn't break!
They are generally designed to run over 3500kgs but downplated to sell. Not sure about the most recent stuff which always seems flimsier but N+b always used to use the best options for the running gear.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have an older Arto (2005) absolutely love it!! Few little problems but generally a great motorhome. Off to Warmingham in ours tomorrow for a weekend of Motocross before France next Friday!!
So excited! I could live in ours šŸ¤£

We are just contemplating a 5-6 month trip next year - not quite full-time but it shows some of us feel comfortable that Artos, and of course Flairs, are good for this sort of use.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are just contemplating a 5-6 month trip next year - not quite full-time but it shows some of us feel comfortable that Artos, and of course Flairs, are good for this sort of use.
Whilst we can't easily do such long trips due to our Shengen limitations we'd quite happily live in our Carthago full-time without a problem if we had to ... We did 2 months earlier this year, then another month and are currently in Scotland planning on doing another month ... then when our Shengen allowance kicks in again ... who knows! :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back