Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

SnowLake

Free Member
Jun 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
Hi all

I'm new here and new to the campervan lifestyle!
I've done tent/caravan camping all my life, but not motorhome. I'm also a confident Europe driver as have done many drives to the French Alps Snowboarding.

In either May or June next year (for my 30th!) Me and my husband are having about 10/11 days (child free!!) To explore Northern Italy. Seeing the lakes and any part of Italy has been my dream. So we thought let's just do it. We looked at flying and doing the typical tourist thing and go to Lake Como for 5 days and fly back. But since purchasing a VW Transporter and converting it, I'm swaying heavily more towards driving. Making the most of the drive down there, taking a few days, seeing Lake Como and any other recommendations in Northern Italy and then driving back.

This is where I need help. I don't even know where to begin looking at which route is best. We'd ideally like to avoid toll roads in France. Was looking at crossing a few different countries to make our way there. But seeing lots of beautiful sites and camping over on route.

Any campsites or places to stop for free would be appreciated. We are not fans of big cities, but instead much prefer mountain, lake and countryside views, hikes, amazing food and small idyllic towns.

We are happy on either taking 2/3 days to get down there, then spending 5/6 days exploring the lakes and Northern Italy, then allowing 2 days to get back.

Breathtaking sights would be amazing!

Please help! Thanks

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Just use Google maps and in the options select no tolls. Via Belgium and Germany would be quickest as motorways are free, France may be slower as avoiding tolls puts you on slower roads a lot of the time. However, the upside is some beautiful towns and villages and lots of free Aires to park in.

When we did Italy we went via the Romantic Route in Germany (Google it) and up to the Dolomites. Fantastic views! Might be too much to do in your time frame though.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
When heading in that direction we usually head towards Lille from the Tunnel (non-toll motorway), then via Belgium to Luxembourg and down either through Germany (no tolls) or France (less than €30 in tolls) towards Basel. From there its an easy transit of Switzerland (you'll need a vignette) via the Gotthard tunnel into Italy and the lakes - though do try to time your Gotthard transit to avoid huge queues....this topic came up on a recent thread too.

There are plenty of places to stop on the way, but it depends whether you have your own facilities on board or need campsites? If you're wanting to keep costs down then I'd suggest avoiding an overnight in Switzerland as it can be quite expensive. A good place to stop for a couple of days on that route would be Riquewihr: a beautiful Alsace wine village with a nice ACSI campsite. We've done the journey to/from Italy to Riquewihr a few times - takes 5 to 6 hours depending on traffic.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've just left the Lakes, see this post, https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/thunder-lightining-over-lake-garda.304317/#post-6171546

And have now dropped down to lucca and looking at maybe the Riveriva for the next week or so, the problem with the lakes is the flying biting things!

We're from Northumberland so used the expensive north Shields to Holland ferry to get here, then Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy and been over to Slovenia and Croatia too.

Returning Holland to Harwich which is much cheaper return, but then a long drive home

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
You don't say the likely ferry crossing of choice. I am assuming Dover or Folkestone?

My route in past years has been something like:

Day 1
Lille/Tournai/Mons/take a loop round on R5 to N40 (a pleasant country road) and travel: Beaumont/Philippeville/Givet/Beauraing/Wellin)/E411 to Luxembourg/A8 to Zweibrucken/D424 to Haguenau then overnight there

Day 2
Cross the Rhine at B500 to Baden-Baden then follow B500 down through the Black Forest and eventually cross the Rhine into Switzerland near Waldshut-Teingen

Day 2.5 or Day 3
Make your way to A3 motorway and follow that through past Zurichsee to Chur and then onwards on E43/A13 on the San Bernadino Pass through to Lugano. Hang a left there and head for Menaggio on Lake Como.

Hope that helps? I would not recommend the St Gotthard tunnel. There are often delays. The San Bernadino route is all above ground.
If the above seriously interests you I can provide further detail about potential places where you might get lost (Been there. Done that. Got the T shirt!)

Cannot help much with campsites atm. My past trips have been by motorcycle and overnighting in the likes of an Ibis. Also my son and family live in Switzerland (but I have always included Lake Como in such trips. Too good an opportunity to miss - playing in the Alps!)

I am making my way out on the route described late August this year with the newly acquired MoHo and can report further on campsites used etc. after that trip. If you flag this thread and ping me a reminder on or after 11th September I can update you.

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SnowLake

Free Member
Jun 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
You don't say the likely ferry crossing of choice. I am assuming Dover or Folkestone?

My route in past years has been something like:

Day 1
Lille/Tournai/Mons/take a loop round on R5 to N40 (a pleasant country road) and travel: Beaumont/Philippeville/Givet/Beauraing/Wellin)/E411 to Luxembourg/A8 to Zweibrucken/D424 to Haguenau then overnight there

Day 2
Cross the Rhine at B500 to Baden-Baden then follow B500 down through the Black Forest and eventually cross the Rhine into Switzerland near Waldshut-Teingen

Day 2.5 or Day 3
Make your way to A3 motorway and follow that through past Zurichsee to Chur and then onwards on E43/A13 on the San Bernadino Pass through to Lugano. Hang a left there and head for Menaggio on Lake Como.

Hope that helps? I would not recommend the St Gotthard tunnel. There are often delays. The San Bernadino route is all above ground.
If the above seriously interests you I can provide further detail about potential places where you might get lost (Been there. Done that. Got the T shirt!)

Cannot help much with campsites atm. My past trips have been by motorcycle and overnighting in the likes of an Ibis. Also my son and family live in Switzerland (but I have always included Lake Como in such trips. Too good an opportunity to miss - playing in the Alps!)

I am making my way out on the route described late August this year with the newly acquired MoHo and can report further on campsites used etc. after that trip. If you flag this thread and ping me a reminder on or after 11th September I can update you.

Chris
Amazing this is very helpful thank you so much!

Any tips and advice are welcome!

Have a lovely trip in August!

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hi SnowLake, welcome to the forum. :WelcomeFlag:

We had a thread on this very topic recently, and you may find it useful:

Hope this helps!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to get there in a couple days I wouldn't choose too scenic a route. Stick to the motorways.

I Italy the Dolomites are stunning as are the big lakes just north of Milan and Verona.

If you want to see both you could drive through Germany, cross Austria to see the Dolomites then head west to the Lakes before heading back north through Switzerland. The latter has jaw-dropping views which will probably make you want to return some day.

I can recommend the DK Eyewitness guidebooks. They will help you identify the best places to see in the limited time you have. It will be a whistle stop tour but as a taster of what out there it should be great fun. :)

Dolomites

117-dolomites.jpg

An Italian lake (Iseo)

PA091440.jpg

Switzerland

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182228.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SnowLake

Free Member
Jun 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
If you want to get there in a couple days I wouldn't choose too scenic a route. Stick to the motorways.

I Italy the Dolomites are stunning as are the big lakes just north of Milan and Verona.

If you want to see both you could drive through Germany, cross Austria to see the Dolomites then head west to the Lakes before heading back north through Switzerland. The latter has jaw-dropping views which will probably make you want to return some day.

I can recommend the DK Eyewitness guidebooks. They will help you identify the best places to see in the limited time you have. It will be a whistle stop tour but as a taster of what out there it should be great fun. :)

Dolomites

View attachment 908991

An Italian lake (Iseo)

View attachment 908995

Switzerland

View attachment 908990
Oh wow! Those photos are exactly what I'm looking for and incredibly stunning! Thanks so much for the advice

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back