Ubunti 18.04 wifi (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Now I'm a big fan of Linux, and definitely not a Windows fan. and ambivalent towards Android/iOS/macOS.

But recently trying to get wifi working under Ubunti 18.04 has been driving me mad.

I was trying to repurpose an old MSI Wind Box DC11. I thought its small size and 500GB hard drive would make it a suitable addition to the van to serve as a media centre.
windbox.jpeg

An internet connection would be desirable although not essential, as the content would largely be stored on the hard drive. However, can I get the wifi to work? No, I can't.

The internal wifi device is a Realtek 8188CE, which seems to be poorly supported in Ubuntu.

I wonder if there is a USB wifi dongle that works out of the box under Ubuntu 18.04 or if I should be trying a different Linux distro.

Any advice gratefully received.

OP
OP
MyrtleGuru
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Well that was a bit of a palaver.

Decided to try Mint.. and it's rather nice, so sticking with that.

Wifi still didn't work though. Decided the internal wifi device was poorly supported under Linux, so spent a few quid on a USB wifi device (tp-link WN823N).

Still didn't work out of the box though. The internal wifi device could not be turned off in the bios, so I blacklisted the driver (rtl8192ce).

The driver that Mint installed for the USB wifi (rtl8xxxu) didn't work -- I could see the wifi networks but could not establish a connection.

So I blacklisted that one and built a new driver (rtl8192eu) using instructions from here:

https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

I now have a nice useful box to stick in the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back