Trying to activate split charger relay when solar is active on CBE DS520 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

mercmh

Free Member
Aug 4, 2024
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
For sometime now
Hello guys new here but reading some posts have found it to be the most friendliest so here I am.. I have a CBE DS520 and on the PC380 it shows a solar symbol on power up. Now my question is how do I tell the unit to use split charging on solar my MH is parked across the road in a secure yard and not easy to get EHU to it to keep both HAB and CAB batteries charged all year round I found a walk around by using a jump lead from the ‘+’ HAB to CAB but I had an issue with solar failing and killed all my batteries I have briefly spoken with apuljack who said that you only need one wire connected somewhere to activate this the wiring diagram could be sent out after they repaired my unit however the only thing wrong with it is the amp measurement is showing -amps and for £180 + parts is something I can live without this was also a result of the solar going down. I have searched high low middle and everything in between looked at countless wiring diagrams and schematics and cannot find this simple but very useful information. I have looked at D+ signal and charge signal from controller as options but don’t want to cause a problem with fridges and lighting. Sorry for the long post I’m hoping I have covered everything I’m needing and the things I have done so thank you for getting this far.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The CBE units normally use a signal from the EHU charger to trigger a trickle the starter battery. They don't receive a signal from the solar so don't charge the starter battery. You could probably provide a 12v feed from the solar to trick the control unit but it's a very simple job to fit a Votronic Standby Charger, an Ablemail or a Battery Master, all of which prevent the starter battery being back drained by the hab batteries.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I disconnected the DS520 split charger by cutting a resistor on the board and changing the wiring slightly to the vehicle and leisure batteries.

My B2B is a votronic which tops up the vehicle battery whenever it sees a charge on the leisure battery. But if I had a different B2B I'd fit a battery master (or equivalent).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Our DS470 shows the Hab to Cab charging is happening when the leisure battery terminal is above 13.5v and the control panel is switched on. We have our Solar and EHU charging circuits wired direct to busbars connected to the battery, and not via the CBE box's, so I don't think there is any signal involved, although the original CBE Solar did connect to the Out terminal in the DS, Im not sure what difference that made.

The Cab to Hab relay has also been disabled in our DS by cutting out the 0 Ohm resistor (some are labelled R37) but this has not affected the Hab to Cab symbol appearing on the control panel, or the charging it seems, given the displayed amps flow.

We have an Ablemail AMT12 (Similar function to the Vanbitz Battery Master) for when the van is in storage and the control panel is switched off, and this generally keeps the Cab battery well able to start the van over the winter period, and full in the summer.

Sorry I can't be sure if the 520 works in the same way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mercmh

Free Member
Aug 4, 2024
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
For sometime now
Our DS470 shows the Hab to Cab charging is happening when the leisure battery terminal is above 13.5v and the control panel is switched on. We have our Solar and EHU charging circuits wired direct to busbars connected to the battery, and not via the CBE box's, so I don't think there is any signal involved, although the original CBE Solar did connect to the Out terminal in the DS, Im not sure what difference that made.

The Cab to Hab relay has also been disabled in our DS by cutting out the 0 Ohm resistor (some are labelled R37) but this has not affected the Hab to Cab symbol appearing on the control panel, or the charging it seems, given the displayed amps flow.

We have an Ablemail AMT12 (Similar function to the Vanbitz Battery Master) for when the van is in storage and the control panel is switched off, and this generally keeps the Cab battery well able to start the van over the winter period, and full in the summer.

Sorry I can't be sure if the 520 works in the same way.
Thank you I am trying to avoid cutting the resistor and using the CBE to control everything as I am trying to keep costs to a minimum at the moment due to the OH wanting a brand new van 🤦🏼 we are looking at hiring out this van so want to try to keep everything sort of fool proof

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Thank you I am trying to avoid cutting the resistor and using the CBE to control everything as I am trying to keep costs to a minimum at the moment due to the OH wanting a brand new van 🤦🏼 we are looking at hiring out this van so want to try to keep everything sort of fool proof
Easiest, cheapest and foolproof way is just fit a Votronic Standby Charger between hab and cab battery posts in DS520 unit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back