Travelling through France by car (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Can anyone tell me the ease by which you can simply “drop-in” on a French B&B whilst touring?
I have a journey to plan and am not sure where I’ll need to stop.
I’d rather be flexible and not commit to a particular schedule.

Where do I find them on the internet or mobile app?
Can you just call the local tourist info?
When is the latest time to expect to arrive?

I may take A16, then A10 direction via Bordeaux.
I’ve never needed to look before but I suppose some motorway aires may provide accommodation.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Plenty of low cost hotels in france, like ibis Hotel,
Hotel Premier Classe, Hotel Campanile and so on.
Bob.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
When we toured France on a motorbike we used the tourist information , no roblem , stayed in some very interesting places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Quite often find three or four different motels on main junctions just outside towns. Some of them have auto-checkin, that is you use a machine outside and a credit card.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
As said above plenty of Travelodge type hotels, usually on the edge of towns with autoroute access.
Put the apps for the following on your phone...

B&B Hoteles
Premier Classe
Campanomile
Ibis

Usually all grouped together around some sort of eatery.

Some have internal stairs and corridors, others have motel type external stairs and landings. Most serve basic Continental breakfast at extra cost. A lot have their price per night advertised at the gate and, as said some are staffed, others are self service via card which gives you a ticket with your room number and door codes. Usually very clean and basic with modular shower rooms .

They don't have tea making facilities, take your own kettle, adaptor & makings.

Barry

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good. Looks like I won't need to pre-book and can stop where I happen to be.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
B&B,Premier Class about 55 euros a night with breakfast,,,Formula One cheaper but not En Suite,,,BUSBY,,

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Another maybe simpler idea, is to put the Booking.com app on your phone as it has a "near here" feature on its search page so when you are ready to stop, pull over and have a look what is near you.
Bon Voyage.

Barry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above.. Lots of motel type places in france..
Easy enough to book same day on their apps (subject to availability)...

We have done UK to Benidorm quiet a few times in the car and never book, we have a few places we now know to aim for but using the apps and their maps can easily be found.. Also If you pass one, like a B&B (thats a brand name not like a B&b guest house (y)) pop in and pick up one of their free books... Passenger can browse that while you travel.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Another maybe simpler idea, is to put the Booking.com app on your phone as it has a "near here" feature on its search page so when you are ready to stop, pull over and have a look what is near you.
Bon Voyage.

Barry
This is exactly what we used to do before we had a motor home

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Usually use Hotel B&B, or Kyriad or Campanile if we want dinner and better breakfast offerings (and furnishings but of course you pay more to get them) Dunno if the Marmotte chain are still going - they were good. Only stayed in a Premier Classe once - the name lied, it wasn't anywhere near first class!

Hotel B&B - there is ALWAYS at least one eaterie within very easy walking distance eg a Courtepaille or a Buffalo Grill but with the caryou can find more distant establishments, plenty of all you can eat Chinese buffet places and there's also a seafood chain I can't remember the name of - and of course, Flunch if there are any hypermarkets in the vicinity. And always boiling water at brekkie in B&Bs, so just stick your own choice of tea bag in your pocket - the cups aren't enormous so you can easily fish it out of the first cup and then have a second out of the same one. They do have tea bags but even the one that says it's 'English Breakfast tea' is bit weak for us.

B&Bs are cheaper at weekends cos shedloads of business people use em in the week - unless the town is a tourist resort, when the opposite applies!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We used to do this until I got a VW campervan. The red Guide Michelin was the bible for finding B&Bs and small family run hotels. We did many touring holidays all over France in the car. Eventually I got tired of living out of a suitcase and packing and unpacking.

I had one bad experience with the Premier Classe hotel in Rennes despite having booked online and paid for a one night stopover. The machine by the front entrance refused to recognise my credit card and failed to issue a "badge" to open the door. Nobody answered the emergency out of hours phone number. I was too low on petrol to drive around looking for other accommodation. I ended up sleeping in the car (freezing cold and uncomfortable) and was knackered the following day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back