Travelling..........Jerusalem, have you been? (1 Viewer)

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Travelling without the van is also a hobby.
The van has its limits sadly.
Jerusalem has to be a good possibility for source material for paintings.
Have you been?
Any suggestions?
Not at all religious, more interested in food!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not been to Jerusalem but Acre in the north west has a striking old city which is well worth visiting. Lots of restaurants in buildings from antiquity.

Good food almost everywhere in Israel from my limited experience. Don't bother taking your satnav - it will work but the screen will be blank! But Google maps will work. :)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Jerusalem is a fantastic place to visit .The food is good ,the cemeteries are worth a visit ,history is 2nd to none .Bethlehem nearby is worth a visit ,lots to see and lots to eat . Enjoy lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Jerusalem was fantastic. Take a tour with a guide and he/she will illuminate 4000 years of history and you start to make sense of the Muslim/Christian/Jewish religious stuff. We found it amazing. Also the alleged place of the crucifixion and where he rose is wonderful as is walking the 12 stations. We aren't religious either but the place is special.

Didn't like Bethlehem. Like going into another country (security check points and everything) but most of all the tour (which included visiting where Jesus was supposed to have been born which was a big anti-climax) included being taken to a Christian souvenir shop, where the door was locked behind us and we weren't allowed to leave until we bought something. Moreover the cheapest piece of garbage we could find was a tenner and everything was about 500% overpriced.

A tour I would highly recommend would be Masada and the Dead Sea. Again get a guide who will tell you the story which is heart wrenching. I was amazed to realise how the land drops from Jerusalem to Masada and although you need to get to the top of the mound/mountain by cable car, the water flows underground from Jerusalem many miles away and provided the Zeolites with fresh water to live on.

Didn't get chance to do Galilee when we were there but would have liked to have done. All can be visited via organised tours which I would recommend. Stay on the coast West of Tel Aviv airport. Great restaurants and fantastic board walks along the coast.

Enjoy

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Delboyarapaho has written exactly what I think and saved me the trouble.
I can clearly remember the first time I walked down a passageway which opened up onto a panoramic view of Jerusalem.

Religious or not, it’s one of those places where the history is something you have probably grown up with and known about all your life. I didn’t like the places that are supposedly where cruxifiction or birth took place etc but I did like the guided tour of Jerusalem and I enjoyed floating in the Dead Sea and swimming in Lake Galilee.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Was there Christmas Eve 1972 and would you believe it, it snowed! Didn't stick though so it didn't qualify as a white Christmas :LOL: a Very interesting city. I suspect it has changed a great deal, then it was still a divided city with a definite Arab feeling to East Jerusalem, which was much more friendly and hospitable.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have been to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem a few times ,does that count ?:D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Been while on a cruise. Jerusalem in morning and Bethlehem in afternoon. Waited too long to put paper in the western wall and lost our guide. Only caught back up with them at lunchtime. It's a very interesting place, but best to have a guide, mum liked Bethlehem too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back