Travelling home (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Hi can any experienced Motorhome driver please help?
I have a 5.5 tonne tag axle Hymer. I want to travel to Paris from Venice
This means hitting Switzerland or a big detour.
Do I need a go box or vignette?did Austria on the way down and it was a total pain. Won’t be stopping just passing through.
My alternative is going via Nice but it’s a long diversion!
Any idea of cost and where I could get this en route please or alternative routes?
Thanks

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Try this app easy to use and you are over 3.5t so use the 10 day pass

Never worked for me in Italy, the transaction wouldn’t clear for some reason, just said pending for over 24 hours and I showed it to the guy at the border he said it won’t have gone through, so I had to buy a 7 day pass at the border €23 or €25 I think just make sure you either hit the border at a busy border control or during the day at a less busy one if you need to buy one👍

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
You can select UK on the app no problem it's at the bottom of the list of countries (other countries), if not just pay the 25 Swiss Francs at the boarder good luck 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Thanks Ditcha but this App is only for vehicles registered abroad. I should have pointed out I’m stopping in Paris to see relatives and then going home to the UK.
I’m confused, I have just played with my Via app (as going next year) and you can select UK from the ‘other countries’ menu. Unless you are a registered vehicle from Switzerland or Liechtenstein in which case you cannot use the app.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We drove from Venice to Lucerne last Sunday, it was recommended as there’d be no trucks on the roads. That may have been true but every other driver in Italy was on the roads so there was still a 45 minute queue at the Gottard tunnel. We already had our pass from the drive down but the queue for people buying passes was long and there weren’t many staff unlike in the week. I’d have another look at the app like Ditcha suggested. We’re under 3.5 tonnes though so easier I know.

OP
OP
M
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
We drove from Venice to Lucerne last Sunday, it was recommended as there’d be no trucks on the roads. That may have been true but every other driver in Italy was on the roads so there was still a 45 minute queue at the Gottard tunnel. We already had our pass from the drive down but the queue for people buying passes was long and there weren’t many staff unlike in the week. I’d have another look at the app like Ditcha suggested. We’re under 3.5 tonnes though so easier I know.
Thanks

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
There's always a queue at the Gotthard tunnel especially at the weekend, we returned using the Simplon pass much quieter.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
There's always a queue at the Gotthard tunnel especially at the weekend, we returned using the Simplon pass much quieter.
How easy would the Simplon pass be in 7.5m 5 tons?
(For future reference)😉

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’m confused, I have just played with my Via app (as going next year) and you can select UK from the ‘other countries’ menu. Unless you are a registered vehicle from Switzerland or Liechtenstein in which case you cannot use the app.
This is from the app note it says from vehicles registered outside of Switzerland and Liechtenstein

Via is the official application of the The Federal Office for Customs and Border Security (FOCBS) for the payment of the lump-sum heavy vehicle charge (PSVA).

With Via, the PSVA can be paid quickly, easily and independently for vehicles such as motorhomes or coaches registered outside Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein before entering the country. This can be done at any time and from any location. An electronic receipt provides the enforcement authorities with proof of payment if required.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
How easy would the Simplon pass be in 7.5m 5 tons?
(For future reference)😉
Did it in a 5.75 ton tag no problems 👍🏻
IMG_20190930_100743.jpg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That’s interesting as we’re going to be heading that way again next year on our way to Turkey. As soon as I see the word “Pass” I immediately think of really narrow roads and snow with me going over the edge. No wonder I never progressed beyond blue slopes when skiing! Our friends went over the Gottard pass but that didn’t save any time at all going as you don’t peel off before half the queues.

We headed off on our travels with our paper maps on the dining room table at home, they’re so much better for planning than Google.

Thankyou.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back