Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I promise I did a search for this but couldn't find anything (which as I write this, makes me think the wording of my search criteria might be poor).

We don't have our Moho yet but I'm trying to cover as many learnings as we can do it's possible to just set off when we do get it. We have had caravans in the past so I'm aware of correct loading, but I like the idea off for a 'short ish' journey with some clean water on board, so do people do this?

The Moho we are getting will be a bare minimum of 3500 kg.

Thanks again from the Edwards crew of two.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I promise I did a search for this but couldn't find anything (which as I write this, makes me think the wording of my search criteria might be poor).

We don't have our Moho yet but I'm trying to cover as many learnings as we can do it's possible to just set off when we do get it. We have had caravans in the past so I'm aware of correct loading, but I like the idea off for a 'short ish' journey with some clean water on board, so do people do this?

The Moho we are getting will be a bare minimum of 3500 kg.

Thanks again from the Edwards crew of two.
Never travel without being as full of water as I can get in,

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We carry 1 or 2 10litre bottles of drinking water all the time (saves constantly purifying the main tank) and then fill up the tanks as required I.e 25% for emergencies and then 50% to 100% depending on duration of event and ease of getting top ups.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It will all depend on the van and it's payload. There are many 3500 that have such poor carrying capacity that filling a full tank would put you over max weight. Only way to know for sure is load up when you have the van and visit a weighbridge to see what you have spare.
I travel with a full 120ltr tanks and can last on average 4-5 days on a rally off grid but the van has the capacity to do it at 5000kg.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
I Take a full tank of our lovely soft Scottish water on every trip 👍😁
When not in Scotland I fill up at every opportunity but don’t drink it! I buy a 5 litre bottle at aldi or Lidl for drinking wherever I am 😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Looks like you have already done some research on vans of up to 3500kgs and above and can see the payload advantages of vans of over 3500kgs, requiring a C1 licence (y)
Never believe quoted MIRO payloads from manufacturers, always get a weighbridge cert before parting with any money, they are always exaggerated. most quote for only 25ltrs of stored fresh water 1.to keep weight down or 2. because some not all manufacturers fresh water tank baffles are not strong enough to stop the tank leaking or splitting whilst full & travelling.(check this out in van manual)
If you are staying on a campsite then no worries on getting water, just carry enough to flush the WC en route, save on weight, therefore diesel.
Some travel with full tanks as they dont want to have the hassle of finding a tap especially when travelling long distances in winter when a lot of Aires have no water turned on, while some like us only fill to about 25% which is 25 ltrs, enough to use the wc, and wash up the dishes, as we only drink bottled water for tea & coffee, especially abroad. We only brim the water tank if we are staying somewhere for a few days, having on board daily showers, and lots of washing up/laundry.

Hope that helps, we are all have different opinions on the need to have full water tanks on our travels.
LES

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
You are right to be careful with the weight of a 3500Kg 'van.

We always use 5 litre bottles - availble everywhere - for everything, with just enough in the tank for daily use.

The Hymer Exsis-i 580 is magic for that as you can fill the tank from inside the 'van without having to remove anything other than the fresh water access cover.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Leave home full. Between stops, depends. If going from site to aire with no facilities, fill before leaving. If water easy to get at next stop, just go with what we’ve got. Return home with what is in the tank, but try to be not very much.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Full tank + 10l of tap water.

Having lived for a couple of years on a small boat, having to top water tank up from containers I am very careful about water use - even still at home!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Entirely depends on how you are going to use Moho. If only on sites or Aires that have known water then travel empty all the time. If travelling in the free spirit lifestyle many Moho owners do, then you need to be full as much and for as long as possible.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Always fill to the brim before heading off as we never know when we might have the opportunity to do it again in some of the more remote locations - and leaving from home it’s with our lovely Mid Devon soft water!

For drinking water we keep one of those 5/6ltr containers of still water that are readily available from the supermarkets at less than €1, and decant it into the 500ml bottles that fit in the fridge using one of these:
IMG_1689.jpeg

Usually available for a couple of € from the supermarket or a China shop if in Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does the water affect the handling of the motorhome in any way? I remember doing my skid pan police driving course in a Cambridge with a tank of water in the boot - couldn't do more than 5mph around the bends :)
Full or empty never notice the difference.
Might be different if your tank is above floolvel. r

OP
OP
Sdrawde
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Entirely depends on how you are going to use Moho. If only on sites or Aires that have known water then travel empty all the time. If travelling in the free spirit lifestyle many Moho owners do, then you need to be full as much and for as long as possible.
So is it possible to know if an Aire has water in advance of arriving at it?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In Winter particularly it's better to have water on board as most taps on Aires will be switched off....

Edit - and campsites closed until you get to Spain

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Does the water affect the handling of the motorhome in any way? I remember doing my skid pan police driving course in a Cambridge with a tank of water in the boot - couldn't do more than 5mph around the bends :)

Don’t forget to factor in the bald tyres inflated to circa 90psi as well! Did you do the cadence braking in the days before ABS as well? Straight across the skid pan aimed at the perimeter wall and pumping the pedal for dear life!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
So is it possible to know if an Aire has water in advance of arriving at it?
As Two on Tour said, you know of an aire has that facility, but latest review may let you know.
IE lovely place really quite, shame water not working or blocked or all facilities working. 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back