Travel insurance via Lloyds Bank Current Account (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
My wife and I get free travel insurance for up to a maximum of 45 days per trip. We pay a supplement to enable us to travel for up to 93 days per trip which in recent years we have done twice a year. Its renewed every April and last year the supplement cost us £143. The renewal came today and its gone up to £400. I telephoned AXA who Lloyds use, and all they would say is the increase is because of rising costs and its non negotiable. basically take it or leave it. We have never made a claim and I think the size of the increase is unreasonable.
Are there any other Lloyds / AXA customers who have had renewal notices?

John

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think you will pay that much insuring directly yourself. Forget Lloyds they are taking the P*** try Insure and Go

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have been doing the same with Lloyds including the extension. Last year my wife was knocked off her bike in Spain while cycling on a marked cycle track. Lloyds, on our return paid up in full for all expenses including £50 per day for the 10 days she was in hospital having a new hip. This came to several hundred pounds but I now wonder if private insurance may have been more beneficial. As it was she is going through a No Win No fee claim which may now collapse due to Brexit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
I don't think you will pay that much insuring directly yourself. Forget Lloyds they are taking the P*** try Insure and Go

Max 31 days if 66 or over and £471 so no good to us 73 year olds. We have Worldwide cover Insure and go was for Europe only. Saga quoted £479 Europe only. So may be I am over reacting and £400 isnt so bad.

John

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We had the same from Lloyds but my eagle eyed better half noticed they had missed the date of renewal and they agreed to honour the quote given in there letter of renewal to us. Next year we shall have to shop around, it will be interesting to see what appears in this thread

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
I found Staysure good last year .also try Payingtoomuch .com .worth a try .:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have the Lloyds account that includes holiday insurance with Axa but have not required to extend the period so no supplement.
They were very efficient in my claim last year, we flew to Tenerife for a holiday, I fell on the aircraft on the outward journey and dislocated my ankle tore all the ligaments and broke my leg. Insurance covered all costs of hospitalisation , operations etc including my wife’s stay at the hospital and taxis etc in Tenerife plus all medications following our return.
Ok a bit off thread but the service be Axa was spot on.

Their cover is bound to be priced within the account policy based on normal holiday requirements and it not surprising I’ve you double the period that there is additional cost.
As you know there are other account benefits , car rescue , home emergency, mobile phone insurance etc and imo well worth the account cost.

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Hi Larynwin

I am more than happy with the account benefits which include free travel insurance for trips up to 45 days.
It’s the trip extension upgrade I was unhappy with and that cost is totally within AXAs control. As long as I have been
Motorhoming I have happily paid the extra fee and it has gone up each year. However I feel that to go from £143 to £400
Is a bit of a jump.

John

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Larynwin

I am more than happy with the account benefits which include free travel insurance for trips up to 45 days.
It’s the trip extension upgrade I was unhappy with and that cost is totally within AXAs control. As long as I have been
Motorhoming I have happily paid the extra fee and it has gone up each year. However I feel that to go from £143 to £400
Is a bit of a jump.

John

Agreed that is a big jump, other than paying, a search might find something more economical , unfortunately that effectively wastes the basic level of cover on the account.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We had been paying the 93 day extension on the Lloyds policy. Last year in Portugal, I had a small stroke- AXA were useless, they paid for costs okay (most covered by our EHIC) but the vaunted help service was absolutely hopeless.

We recognised our premium would increase, the “existing conditions” increase itself was okay, but just as we were about to renew, the adviser said about about the new £400 supplement for 93 day cover. We then got stand alone cover via Staysure for under £400, 50 days per trip but including a supplement for 1 x100 day trip. I’m 66.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Being over 70 with pre-comditionions we use Eurotunnels own travel insurance. Has anyone experience of this?

Malcolm

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are with Lloyd’s but have the old Premium account which covers up to 63 days . We nearly changed to Nationwide but there are so few medical exclusions on Lloyd’s that after careful calculations we stayed, our health problems will not get less as we get older and the Premium account is no longer available.

The big increase to extend may well be blamed on uncertainty over EHIC in the event of a no deal but also in anticipation of inflated claims from overseas hospitals perhaps?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
The big increase to extend may well be blamed on uncertainty over EHIC in the event of a no deal but also in anticipation of inflated claims from overseas hospitals perhaps?
The adviser I spoke to said it followed a “review of their prices compared to other products “ or words to that effect. Which sounds more like they just thought they could get away with increasing the price! We copied Lloyd’s into our response that we were seriously considering moving our accounts away as a result, but I don’t imagine it will have any effect!

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
My wife and I get free travel insurance for up to a maximum of 45 days per trip. We pay a supplement to enable us to travel for up to 93 days per trip which in recent years we have done twice a year. Its renewed every April and last year the supplement cost us £143. The renewal came today and its gone up to £400. I telephoned AXA who Lloyds use, and all they would say is the increase is because of rising costs and its non negotiable. basically take it or leave it. We have never made a claim and I think the size of the increase is unreasonable.
Are there any other Lloyds / AXA customers who have had renewal notices?

John

Hi John..... we are in the same position. We leave next Wednesday for 90 days. Lloyds wanted £400 to extend, I refused then started to get other quotes. The worst was Saga £895 the best was Puffin insurance £109.

I did wonder if you could use Lloyds for the first 45 day then start a new 45 day policy with another company...... probably not allowed but thoughts would be welcome. We did wonder about just using the European health card if brexit is extended.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Max 31 days if 66 or over and £471 so no good to us 73 year olds. We have Worldwide cover Insure and go was for Europe only. Saga quoted £479 Europe only. So may be I am over reacting and £400 isnt so bad.

John
Perhaps not then :) Being a young whipper snapper I find Insure and Go very competitive but will look at the free one to see how the policies compare

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
After getting a few quotes I could only get the insurance cheaper if I stopped going away for three months twice a year. Some only allowed 31 days
maximum trip, I also think we will go out of Europe later in the year so as i have worldwide travel I will stick with what I have got this Year.

Nationwide have a similar package with one of there current accounts but it costs £13 a month. My Lloyds package is free as I took it up many years ago, newbies pay i think £10 per month.
Thanks for all your contributions to my thread.

John

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
We have Nationwide Flexplus Travel Cover and pay for Excess Waiver Cover, which was £4.50 last year. Had a letter this morning informing us that the cost for renewal will be £34.50. Seems like they are all putting their changes up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back