tracker (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
hi ive just got my insurance renewal quote and for a start it has gone up £60.00 and they are insisting it has to have a Thatcham approved tracker on it it is a 60 reg Hymer coach built on a transit MK 7 any suggestions as where to get the best deal on a Thatcham approved mk5/6 tracker insurance is through a broker and if I remember right it was with Aviva but not 100% sure any suggestions

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A sad fact of life, In this wonderful society, is the issue of insurance, it only every goes one way------- UP!.

I have a tracker fitted ,but if I am honest, all I would want back is a handful of "Stuff" collected over years, the vehicle I would want paid out on. I would go get another. Most seem to get "trashed" anyway.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I read today that the best time to ask quotes is21 days before expiry and the the quotes for motor insurance can be miles lower than if you leave it too late. I bought my tracker but it was almost as much to pay for the monitoring company, which I paid out to have the permanent service rather than pay per year, it was 5 years worth in one go but does keep going after that all the time I have it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As above, look for other insurance quotes before forking out for trackers.
Your making the insurers risk of having to pay out for a loss claim far less at your own (great) expense.

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
Really does depend on who is underwriting the policy I'm afraid. Most underwriters are requesting a VTS approved system to cover for theft, however there are insurers out there that are not requesting a system. The downside is you may have to sacrifice the level of cover you may receive in terms to length of travel, personal effects cover along with other items. Always read the small print (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
thanks for the replies guys I've got the brokers to sort another company that don't need a tracker so thanks again for your input

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As the owner of a yet to be stolen Ford, I thought i had better put some thought into this.

My view is if it gets stolen I get some money back but i have added an alarm and immobiliser, but appreciate this does not guarantee anything.
So i thought about this all singing all dancing internal camera with GPS and then thought £350 plus 25 nicker a year just to catch them, when in real terms, I would not be overly concerned myself that i wanted to pay that money to assist the potential of maybe somebody nicking my motorhome.
My thoughts then turned to my holiday.
90 odd days away in deepest France possibly post Brexit in a Ford with an UK plate that carries a motorbike and leaves said motorhome on an aire all day alone.
I think i would want that motorhome back on day 4 of our holiday.
The likelihood is that if it were stolen it would be parked up for a couple of days to see if it had tracker.
So i got my old phone, downloaded an app called find a friend and will leave it in the van having put a 10 euro PAYG sim into the phone.

Just a thought if someone is reading this. If you have mifi or wifi in your van then no need to have a sim. (So the clever chap at work told me)

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
It is very unlikely that a right drive vehicle will be stolen in Europe, much more of a chance of robbery from, than theft of the vehicle.
UK is a different story.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back