Towing brand new Toyota Aygo X how do I disable the steering lock? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Hi guys, we are selling our old and much loved Toyota Aygo 2021 model and I’ve just watched our brand new Aygo X being driven off the car transporter, it won’t be road legal until September first. Question is we disabled the old Toyota steering lock with a transponderless key in the ignition. The new Aygo X is keyless entry and push button start. How do I disable the steering lock so I can tow it?
TIA!
Russ

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi guys, we are selling our old and much loved Toyota Aygo 2021 model and I’ve just watched our brand new Aygo X being driven off the car transporter, it won’t be road legal until September first. Question is we disabled the old Toyota steering lock with a transponderless key in the ignition. The new Aygo X is keyless entry and push button start. How do I disable the steering lock so I can tow it?
TIA!
Russ
Our Kia is keyless and all I do is press the start button without depressing the clutch pedal, that releases the steering lock for towing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Steve thanks for that, doesn’t it drain the battery after a couple of hours of towing?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I’ve just watched our brand new Aygo X being driven off the car transporter,........ The new Aygo X is keyless entry and push button start. How do I disable the steering lock so I can tow it?
If you're still at the dealer's you could pop in and ask them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Discovered that what i need to do is install a switch to bypass the stop start switch for the Aygo. Now all I need is an auto spark in the NW area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I’ve spoken at great length to the sales guy at Toyota Warrington, he’s spoken to his technicians, Toyota GB, and even organised a PDF of the steering lock wiring diagram and associated wiring, no mention of warranty issues, and he’s even going to take the car to the place where their getting the A frame mods done. I’ve also found a tame garage that will fit the necessary mods to the steering lock wiring for around £150. I’m not going to recommend them yet as I want to see the mods in action first. All are reputable, long standing VAT registered companies, so not back street bodgers! Had some anxious moments when I discovered that the steering lock was automatically activated and couldn’t be disabled using a dummy key I can tell you! The sales guy was even looking in to ordering a slightly lower spec Aygo X with a sun roof and adding a parking pack and bigger dashboard screen to bring it up to the exclusive spec my wife wanted. The mod for the steering lock appears to be an additional hidden switch that bypasses the steering lock wiring, thus preventing its activation. Will post again when I’ve had the conversion done and actually used it on a trip to confirm it works properly.

Cheers to all of you that contributed thoughts and info, much appreciated, it’s why this forum is so great!

Russ

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back