Touring New Zealand (2 Viewers)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Each to their own but if there s a camper option we re going to do it. I think it would be a shame to do NZ without using the Freedom spots.
Be careful of so called Freedom Spots, the ones we visited were plagued with sand flies. When we arrived at one a guy had spent the night there with his doors and windows shut. But he'd still been bitten to hell. They really are painful.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Each to their own but if there s a camper option we re going to do it. I think it would be a shame to do NZ without using the Freedom spots.

I agree, there’s a lot of NZ we wouldn’t have seen if we hadn’t hired a Moho.

We wouldn’t have parked on the edges of beaches and had seals sleep around us.
Just one of the highlights 😊

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Be careful of so called Freedom Spots, the ones we visited were plagued with sand flies. When we arrived at one a guy had spent the night there with his doors and windows shut. But he'd still been bitten to hell. They really are painful.

Maybe the time of year you went?

Same as Scotland and midges?

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
We spent a month in just North Island going clockwise from Auckland. They warn you not to rely on satnavs for journey times but to use a readily available table of travel times between towns; it takes longer than you think.
https://goo.gl/photos/bSFiBzoCwwqUgVV57

We intend going back for at least a month in South Island early '25 or '26. Unless you have just a few must-visit places in both Islands, our experience would argue against trying to get a taste of both in a month or less; you'll knock yourself out travelling. It's a great country, one I'd happily live in if it weren't so far away from family. Also no longer as cheap to get there and back as it was.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have two sons who live in NZ and have been 9 times. I know this is a Motorhome forum but we’ve found the best way to see NZ is hiring a car and staying in Airbnbs, lodges and B & Bs but if your only going once and have the time and money then motorhome is great but very expensive.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm sure everyone that has been there will agree with me,

There's a WOW around every corner, and that you have never seen so many shades of green.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The very reason we chose it. Our favourite season, but thank you for the thought.
You might want to consider going as far South when you start and then heading back North as it gets colder. The Southern parts have the proper four seasons so would be stunning in Autumn but could get a tad chilly and possibility of Snow, where as when you get to Auckland and North it's more temperate maritime climates.

So take warm clothes and a rain jacket as it's Green over there for a Reason.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Aswell as all the fabulous suggestions would add the following:

Waitomo to see the caves and Glow Worms

Hawkes Bay for the Art Deco, Wineries and amazing food especially the farmers markets.

Wellington the Te Papa (Our House) Museum is amazing especially the poignant Gallipoli exhibition with the scenes created by the team at Weta Workshop.

If you have an interest in Lord of The Rings, Thunderbirds then a visit to the Weta Workshop near Wellington.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I remember visiting this air museum at Marlborough - amazing place I recall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back