Totom go camper max driving me nuts! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Has anyone with one of these had the problem of it not charging while plugged into 12v socket and it switching off, usually just at the time you really need it! If so, did you find find a solution ( apart from chucking out if the window!) Dash cam works works fine fromthe socket so I don't think it's that,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it hot where you are ? I don't have the Same satnav but it's common to have them on the dash and in direct sunlight if they get hot it overheats and will stop charging and switch off. Phones can do the same

Just a suggestion

Upvote 0

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I have the same TomTom and yes the same problem.

I fixed mine although your fault may not be the same, but it sounds exactly the same.

I found the 12v plug was losing contact ..hardly visible, however as the battery was not charging, once TomTom power is depleted it turns off.

Vibration and movement of the van move the plug off contact.

A small piece of insulating tape rolled into a small sausage pushed down the side of the 12v socket; just big enough so you can push the TomTom plug in tight and it stays held down in good contact.

Make sure not to position the metal springs of the TomTom plug onto the insulating tape.

I hope this works for you ..Let us know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Is it hot where you are ? I don't have the Same satnav but it's common to have them on the dash and in direct sunlight if they get hot it overheats and will stop charging and switch off. Phones can do the same

Just a suggestion

Our NextBase dashcam has started to do the same thing. Gets too hot and starts to go into 'wifi' mode. If it gets REALLY hot, it demands that the SD be reformatted!!! Bizarre.

However, never had a problem with our TomTom satnav malfunctioning.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Had exactly the same with my Garmin problem solved by leaving it connected to power (but switched of f)over night to fully charged the onboard battery ..my guess the battery very discharged a nd unable to draw enough power from usb supply to charge and run screen at the same time...may not be the reason but from shutting down randomly mostly 10 to 40 mins now perfect.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Friend we were following was using google Maps, took us through a housing estate in Germany where there was a straight main road, would have been ok had it cut off a corner or something but we ended up about 100 metres from where we had turned off.
We still use an old tom tom but not the camper, both it and the garmin camper we have are nightmares. We keep the van in storage, so know the route o and fro vey well, they chop and change between a sensible, the only route, and trying to take us into someones garden several livery stables and dead ends. no wonder we have such interesting journeys when abroad.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I found the 12v plug was losing contact ..hardly visible, however as the battery was not charging, once TomTom power is depleted it turns off.

Similar with the 12v plug for our Garmin Camper. Ours has a red light on the plug showing if it's powered or not so a glance down every half hour or so to make sure it's lit and if not a push back in.

However we have just implemented a very expensive longer-term fix that we're about to start trialling! We've fitted £500 worth of new softer tyres so the rattling is reduced! (y) Don't you dare say we don't think out of the box!(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F
Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Yes I have the same TomTom and yes the same problem.

I fixed mine although your fault may not be the same, but it sounds exactly the same.

A small piece of insulating tape rolled into a small sausage pushed down the side of the 12v socket; just big enough so you can push the TomTom plug in tight and it stays held down in good contact.

Make sure not to position the metal springs of the TomTom plug onto the insulating tape.

I hope this works for you ..Let us know.
Tried this but it still keeps saying it's not connected. I think the problem is with the actual socket on the back ofthe tomtom and the mount. I'll contact tomtom and see what they can do. Thank you everyone for your help.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have you tried plugging in an appropriate usb cable to the sat nav socket and a laptop/240v usb socket/etc to remove an issue with the vehicle cable?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F
Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Yes, I've tried the cable with my other TT and it works fine. I'm almost certain it's the socket as if the the wire is moved even slightly when it's plugged into the mains it goes off, if the wire is jiggled a bit I can get it back on again so its not just when its on 12v. Tried for ages today to contact Tomtom support and all you get is a stupid bot which keeps asking the same questions and you just end up going round in circles. Really frustrated now, going to pack it in and try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes, I've tried the cable with my other TT and it works fine. I'm almost certain it's the socket as if the the wire is moved even slightly when it's plugged into the mains it goes off, if the wire is jiggled a bit I can get it back on again so its not just when its on 12v. Tried for ages today to contact Tomtom support and all you get is a stupid bot which keeps asking the same questions and you just end up going round in circles. Really frustrated now, going to pack it in and try again tomorrow.
Assuming the cable/plug is locating reasonably tight into the sat nav socket it's probably the soldered connection of the socket to the pcb inside the unit.
Moving the cable around will be making/breaking the connection.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
I recently bought the Tom Tom Exclusive and plugged it into the USB cigarette lighter adapter that was taped into a cigar socket extension under the dash (so it didn't keep coming loose ) that I had previously used for my older Tom Tom and it kept turning off , so I removed the existing USB cigarette lighter adapter and replaced it with the adapter that was included with the new Tom Tom and all was well,it was then I realised the new adapter had an higher output than the existing one

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back